Welcome!

This is a membership forum. Guests can view 5 pages for free. To participate, please join.

[ Pitmaster Club Information | Join Now | Login | Contact Us ]

Only 4 free page views remaining.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Lodge Chainmail Scrubbing pad $13

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Lodge Chainmail Scrubbing pad $13

Click image for larger version  Name:	81kmCw3JnxL._SL1500_.jpg Views:	84 Size:	203.3 KB ID:	759227

My wife and I saw this. Isn’t this a seasoning destroyer? What seasoned cast iron pan would you use it on? I must be missing something.

Comment

• Steve B
      Steve B commented
      Editing a comment
      I agree. I wouldn't use any metal cleaning tool myself. Perhaps Spinaker has an opinion on this matter. After all he is the CI whisperer..

• Attjack
      Attjack commented
      Editing a comment
      I don't know. I use plastic on my cast iron. I have a couple of tools but my favorite is a cheap plastic scraper I bought at the hardware store. I also have a plastic scraper made for dishes with a few different radii on each corner I use as well.

Spinaker . I don't know why Lodge would sell it if it was not meant for their product. Seeing it, I was concerned about the seasoning coming off. However, there is an expert here.
    Last edited by tbob4; October 22, 2019, 06:56 PM.

Comment

• Spinaker
      Spinaker commented
      Editing a comment
      Really, it is just a harsher method than is necessary. They certainly work, but so does a poly scraper. Like I said below, I would be more concerned with damping down the heat and/or use more oil if it is sticking that bad. Chain mail on SS grill grates? Chain mail is great for that cause it gets in between the grates.

• tbob4
      tbob4 commented
      Editing a comment
      Spinaker - Thanks chief. My mom ONLY cooks with cast iron. I saw this and thought it would be a nice Christmas present. She takes better care of her pans than I do of my wife or dogs. HA! If you had said "good" I would have felt safe and would have shown her your response. As always, your advice is priceless.

I use the "ringer" on mine all the time. has had no effect on the seasoning....if anything it's (very) slowly smoothed the texture on my lodge pan(s).

Comment

I know that chainmail is a recommended cleaner for CI, but I'm not sure what I'd have to do (ruin) to need it. I'm an almost exclusive CI user, and I clean immediately with hot water and a steel spatula if needed. After every use I hand rub in grapeseed oil, and these days it only takes a couple drops for my full size CI.

I pull the (usually) skillet, run in hot water and a nylon dish brush, and set it back on a burner on low to dry. When dry, I rub in the oil.

BTW I'm burned out on Lodge - way to dimpled a surface. I haven't sprung for the modern high-cost options though excellent in quality. I've been collecting Wagner and Griswold from private sales. I'll be selling off my Lodge stuff on CL.

Comment

AFAIK, since the seasoning as a chemical bonding, the chainmail should not affect it, just like using a metal spatula does not affect it. I use that exact scrubber with water to get all the bits off, dry, heat, oil, heat and cool after using my Lodge CI on the grill. Although I will bow to whatever Spinnaker says.

Comment

I use one all the time without issue. Then I dry the CI and season with flax seed oil

Comment

I never use them on my iron, especially my smoother pans. They CAN scourer or damage the surface. On a Lodge you won't really have an issue. And you may not have any issues on any other pans either. However, I choose not to risk it. I know they look cool and it is fun to use chain mail to clean things, but there are better, safer options.

My thing is, there is a chance you can damage your iron or your seasoning when using these. And there are plenty of other alternatives for cleaning your cast iron. A poly scrapper from Lodge and a non-scouring pad works better and you don't have the chance to damage anything. As a side note, if you have stuff burnt or stuck on the cooking surface, you are not using enough oil or too much heat or both. Better to change the way you are using your iron than being too aggressive with cleaning.

All of that being said, they are great for using to clean grill grates, I use them all the time for that after cooking on my BGE.

Comment

• Spinaker
              Spinaker commented
              Editing a comment
              Damn! Attjack

• Attjack
              Attjack commented
              Editing a comment
              They sell another $30 piece that together with the grate gives you a 2-piece solution. So it would cost $130 for the upgrade to outfit both sides of the grill. I'm not ruling it out.

• Spinaker
              Spinaker commented
              Editing a comment
              Yeah it is nice to have heavier SS grates. I was happy when I got the Eggspander setup. (Also a pricey upgrade, but worth it IMO) Attjack

Announcement

Collapse
          No announcement yet.
          Working...
          X
          false
          ["pitmaster-my-membership","login","join-pitmaster","lostpw","reset-password","special-offers","help","nojs","meat-ups","gifts","authaau-alpha","ebooklogin-start","alpha","start"]
          false
          false
          {"count":0,"link":"/forum/announcements/","debug":""}
          Yes
          ["\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1157845-paid-members-download-your-6-deep-dive-guide-ebooks-for-free-here","\/forum\/the-pitcast","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2019-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2020-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2021-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2022-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2023-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2024-issues","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here"]
          /forum/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here