Welcome!

This is a membership forum. Guests can view 5 pages for free. To participate, please join.

[ Pitmaster Club Information | Join Now | Login | Contact Us ]

Only 4 free page views remaining.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Butcher Box Deal

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Butcher Box Deal

Got an email from them yesterday announcing a free pound of scallops plus a free pound of bacon with first box. It is a subscription service, so I guess you can take advantage of the offer then cancel...

Have you used this or a similar service before? I've kicked the tires on this one and another, might've been Blue Apron, and I just can't get myself to pull the trigger.

Comment

If you are convinced to try it, watch Groupon for a deal. I tried it after finding a 1/2 price deal and canceled before I ever got a second shipment. I can get better tasting beef in any local grocery store. If lean grass fed was my concern and my historical point of comparison, maybe it's good, but I'm around great midwest beef. The pork shoulder was definitely good though, had a lot more flavor than local store pork.

Comment

I gave Butcher Box a try. I think I got 3 boxes and then cancelled. The breakfast sausage was great but not that much better than Jimmy Dean to justify the price. The pork and chicken were good but the beef I got wasn't good at all. They get their grass fed beef from Australia. Some of the ribeyes (very thin and poorly cut) tasted horrible. Not just the standard odd taste you can get from some grass fed but it was almost acidic. The tri tips were ok but nothing to write home about.

Price wise it wasn't too far out of line with other online merchants for what you get.

If I was really wanting grass fed I would find a local farm or buy from Crowd Cow, not Butcher Box. I know there is a market for Butcher Box but I don't know who that would be. Definitely not something I would recommend to a meat lover.

Comment

Huskee, I haven't tried any of the subscription or mail order meat suppliers. I am satisfied with the local butcher shops. I may try to get a cut that isn’t available locally at some point though.

Comment

Announcement

Collapse
          No announcement yet.
          Working...
          X
          false
          ["pitmaster-my-membership","login","join-pitmaster","lostpw","reset-password","special-offers","help","nojs","meat-ups","gifts","authaau-alpha","ebooklogin-start","alpha","start"]
          false
          false
          {"count":0,"link":"/forum/announcements/","debug":""}
          Yes
          ["\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1157845-paid-members-download-your-6-deep-dive-guide-ebooks-for-free-here","\/forum\/the-pitcast","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2019-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2020-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2021-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2022-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2023-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2024-issues","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here"]
          /forum/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here