Welcome!

This is a membership forum. Guests can view 5 pages for free. To participate, please join.

[ Pitmaster Club Information | Join Now | Login | Contact Us ]

Only 4 free page views remaining.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

KBB Charcoal sale

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

KBB Charcoal sale

I'm not seeing the usual double-bag for $9.99 this year. HD had some off brand (Embers?) at that sale price.

However, I did just get a peek at HD's ad starting tomorrow and it shows KBB double-bag (20lb) for $14.98. It's more than usual, but each bag is 20lbs instead of the 18.6lb that we've seen.

UPDATE: Just looked at Lowe's and they have the same package (2x20lb) for $12.88 starting tomorrow.

I stopped by our local Harris-Teeter grocery store this morning and they had Kingsford Apple,Cherry or Pecan charcoal briquets 2/$15. YMMV

Comment

It’s a bummer that nobody seems to have the good deal this year. Meijer also has the 2x20 for $12.99. Looks like that’s about as good as it’s going to get

Comment

Good News! Lowes and THD have the Kingsford 20 lb x 2 for $12.88. This is a pretty good deal because I believe they had gone to the 18 lb bags the past few years. Smoke On !

Comment

I bought a huge pile for $9.98 exactly two years ago at HD and I literally just opened the last bag last night. I was happy with how perfect the timing was, so I could get another two year supply, but bummed that they aren't bringing the deal back this year.

Comment

• jfmorris
            jfmorris commented
            Editing a comment
            JeffJ I used to go through 20 to 40 pounds of charcoal (plus a bag of wood chunks) every week with my offset. Since getting the Performer and the SNS, I'm using sooo much less charcoal that my stockpiling of 40 bags at a time probably needs to be reconsidered! I may fire up the offset this Monday, but that would be the first time since Thanksgiving Day if I do.

• JeffJ
            JeffJ commented
            Editing a comment
            jfmorris - yes, the offset does burn inefficiently relative to a charcoal cooker. I've quickly discovered that after 3 cooks on my offset. Although with my offset I've been using only a half chimney of charcoal and then have been using splits to fuel the fire.

• jfmorris
            jfmorris commented
            Editing a comment
            JeffJ my offset is something my Dad had one of his welders put together from a sketch around 1985, using 304SS, so it will last forever, but my dad was and is *NOT* a smoker guy by any means. He grills for the most part. The firebox is just too small and is made from welded up stainless sheet metal - fairly thick, but nothing like I would want in an offset I was not given. I can use small logs and mini splits, but mostly just use charcoal as that is what I knew to use 25-30 years ago.

Curiosity question . . . Online Lowes has 2X20 KBB for $12.88 claiming 213 available at local store. Also has 2X18.6 for $12.88 claiming 125 available. Does anybody have any idea if there's any difference in these two products other than the weight in the bag?

Experience says that believing their "available" claim is a sometimes a fools errand, so they probably only have one of the products available, but that's just a guess.
          Last edited by johnec00; May 23, 2019, 08:12 AM.

Comment

• jfmorris
            jfmorris commented
            Editing a comment
            The 18.6 pound bags are all stock from last year. They ought to be cleaning those out for less than the new 20 pound bags! It's the same charcoal. Get the 20 pounders if the price is the same per bag.

Went to HD today and it was $12.88 for two 20lb bags. Stocked up waiting for my PBC to get here. Wife bet me $20 that I wont use all this by Labor Day LOL. Game on.
          Attached Files
          Last edited by AverageJoe; May 24, 2019, 08:28 PM. Reason: wife bet me

Comment

• mnavarre
            mnavarre commented
            Editing a comment
            Well, just the KBB is about 30 full loads on the PBC. You've got three months. Eminently doable.

• AverageJoe
            AverageJoe commented
            Editing a comment
            mnavarre the lump is for my Kamado who I have recently named as Fred

• HawkerXP
            HawkerXP commented
            Editing a comment
            So? Who wow the bet?

For those who like Kingsford Professional I was in the Costco in Bellingham, WA today and the 2 x 18# pack was $13.99 ($6.00 savings).

Comment

I feel I went light today and should go back, I only bought 160lbs, but this is my first summer of bbq, I prefer weber for my smoker. I kind of want to go back and get another 160 lbs tomorrow. it is really cheap after all. Weber is so Dam expensive, but, damn is it good to me. It was 2 X 20 for 12.99? maybe a few pennies less. But, a steal now that I am buying like I am.

Comment

I would like to hear what you all think of the Kingsford Applewood charcoal? Is it worth the extra price? Do you use it exclusively or do you mix it with regular??

Comment

• AverageJoe
                AverageJoe commented
                Editing a comment
                I never used it. I have always just added a few chunks of Applewood. Never really thought about doing the change. Doesn't hurt to get some and do a comparison to see if you prefer it over the regular. Could be a game changer.

• ssandy_561
                ssandy_561 commented
                Editing a comment
                I don’t think it’s worth the up charge. Now if you ever find it at the same price or on clearance that’s another story.

• mnavarre
                mnavarre commented
                Editing a comment
                It does have some wood flavor, but not as much as using wood chunks. Now that I think about it I'm curious as to how it performs in the PBJr. Might have to pick a couple of bags up.

$12.88 at my local Home Depot. I picked up two packs of them. Earlier this morning when I checked they had 390 of the packs in stock. They now are down to 350.

(I actually think all 350 are out on the floor! You literally can't get in the store without tripping over all of them!)

Comment

Costco in Appleton has 2-18.5# bags of Kingsford Professional for $13.99!
                I thought that was a good deal.

Comment

FYI: Walmart and Lowes here in SoCal have the double bag sale going on for $9.99.

Comment

• jfmorris
                    jfmorris commented
                    Editing a comment
                    Must be regional, or unadvertised online, as neither of those stores here show a special, and I was in Lowe's a couple of days ago, and checked. I'm sure I'll be at Lowe's or Home Depot again soon to buy paint (honey do!), and will stroll down that aisle...

Announcement

Collapse
                No announcement yet.
                Working...
                X
                false
                ["pitmaster-my-membership","login","join-pitmaster","lostpw","reset-password","special-offers","help","nojs","meat-ups","gifts","authaau-alpha","ebooklogin-start","alpha","start"]
                false
                false
                {"count":0,"link":"/forum/announcements/","debug":""}
                Yes
                ["\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1157845-paid-members-download-your-6-deep-dive-guide-ebooks-for-free-here","\/forum\/the-pitcast","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2019-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2020-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2021-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2022-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2023-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2024-issues","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here"]
                /forum/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here