Welcome!

This is a membership forum. Guests can view 5 pages for free. To participate, please join.

[ Pitmaster Club Information | Join Now | Login | Contact Us ]

Only 4 free page views remaining.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Publix Prime Rib $6.79 per pound

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Picked up a 6 lb Angus Greenwise rib roast boned and tied for $8.99/lb at Publix. Looks pretty good. Now, what do I do with it? Anyone point me to a good recipe on a pellet smoker? I’m a ribroastnoob 😀
    Attached Files
    Last edited by smokenoob; December 17, 2021, 11:26 AM. Reason: price change

Comment

• Panhead John
      Panhead John commented
      Editing a comment
      If it’s your first time, it could be dangerous! Only because I’m a nice guy, send it to me and I’ll take that risk for you. Then I’ll send you a "how to" video.

• smokenoob
      smokenoob commented
      Editing a comment
      Panhead John Danger is my middle name, No Fear

smokenoob You can do one of two things with that rib roast:

1. Cut it into steaks and smoke the small slab of tied on ribs like you would baby back ribs.

2. Roast it as a prime rib, following Meathead's guide here:

https://amazingribs.com/tested-recip...r-beef-roasts/

I am following that guide to the T next Tuesday, including making the gravy using the rib bones.

Today, after a trip to Costco to refill 4 propane tanks that were empty, I saw that their choice rib roast was $12.99 a pound, so I went by a different Publix in town today, and they did not have the Greenwise Angus one, but did still have the $6.79 sale going. I asked the meat counter guy if they had any whole ones in the back, and he brought me a 15.75 pound 7 bone roast from the back, still in the cryovac. Thinking I may end up cutting THAT one into steaks, and still roast the 9 pounder I got last week for Christmas dinner next Tuesday. Since this was still in the cryovac, the bones have not been detached. I would just cut bone-width thick steaks where the bones are, and ones of similar width in between the bones. Looks like that would give me about 14 steaks of more than an inch thick - 7 bone in and 7 boneless ribeyes.
    Last edited by jfmorris; December 17, 2021, 02:02 PM.

Comment

• smokenoob
      smokenoob commented
      Editing a comment
      Thanks Jim! I just read that article and watched the video. That’s the plan!

• smokenoob
      smokenoob commented
      Editing a comment
      After reading Meathead prime rib article, I think I am gonna untie it and cut the fat cap off, then retie, agree?

• Meathead
      Meathead commented
      Editing a comment
      Agree on the fat cap. Save it. Melt it. Use it to paint a reverse sear steak just before searing. Or for blending into a burger.

When I lived in Orlando, I could ask the meat manager to vac seal a large cut of meat and they would normally do it for free. I don't think that all of the newer Publix stores have the equipment though. Another things I've done is take it to my game processor - they normally have equipment that can handle such large cuts.

Comment

Oh look, this is timely.

Comment

Well, having frozen the original 9 pound one I bought, which was either 3 or 4 bones, I pulled it out to compare to the cryovac'ed 15.75 pound 7 bone roast I got yesterday at Publix. The 9 pound one is thicker, and the 15 pounder doesn't seem to have as big a spinalis, but it appears to better marbled overall. So I think I'm going with that one for Tuesday, since it doesn't have to be thawed. I'll trim it and remove the ribs Sunday or Monday, tie it up, and get it to dry brining. I'll do the 9 pounder in a few months... got a roll of gussetted vacuum sealer bags on the way that should let me repack it better on Monday.

The only concern I have in doing a full length roast is that it is going to be thicker at one end than the other. Do I shoot for medium-rare in the center, at the thick end, or at the thinner end? Or cut the thinner end off into a couple of steaks for future use....
        Last edited by jfmorris; December 18, 2021, 09:24 AM.

Comment

• smokenoob
          smokenoob commented
          Editing a comment
          I would cut a steaks off for future and get it as "round" as possible like Meathead says….
          (mine goes on tomorrow!)

Vacuum seal question after purchasing a roast in one of these sales: seal WITH the pre-tied string and throw away the Styrofoam package, or seal WITHOUT the string?

Going into the deep freeze that way... any other packaging suggestions? These are 4+ lb, so on the smaller side.

Comment

• STEbbq
          STEbbq commented
          Editing a comment
          Seal with string. You’d want to maintain the shape.

• jfmorris
          jfmorris commented
          Editing a comment
          Actually, the pre-tied string is to hold on the slab of ribs, which have been cut off. You will end up removing those ribs and tying with string to cinch it up into a circular shape for cooking. I froze mine with the ribs still tied on, but you could go either way.

Well, since the 15 pound rib roast was in the cryovac, I had to break it down, and found Meathead 's video at the top of this page amazingly helpful:

https://amazingribs.com/tested-recip...ide-prime-rib/

Meathead makes it look easy, and has time lapse skills. Took me a lot longer, haha. And I only had to stop to put bandaids on my fingers twice due to the freshly sharpened filet knife...

Since it was still in the cryovac, the ribs had to be totally detached, including cutting through the chine and such. I ended up with a slab of 7 ribs, but cut one bone off for the gravy, and vacuum sealed the rest. I also packed away the ribeye cap steak, about the size of a large flank, and a vacuum sealed bag of fat (from the nose) for a future rendering project. The meat from the nose will be steak and eggs in the morning. I'll make gravy tomorrow from the sacrificial rib bones, chine bones and trimmings tomorrow morning, and then put it all under the prime rib in the afternoon.

All in all that was a lot of meat. The thickness of the tied roast is about the same from one end to another, but it widens up from one end to the other. Probably 3-4 inches thick, and varying from 3-4 wide at one end to about 6-7 at the other. I am hoping I can get it to cook evenly with that variation. I may end up cutting it in half into two smaller roasts so that I can start the larger one earlier.
        Last edited by jfmorris; December 21, 2021, 12:06 AM.

Comment

• smokenoob
          smokenoob commented
          Editing a comment
          2 smaller ones may give you a more even cook and definitely more bark! You gonna use Mrs O’Leary’s Cow Crust? I really liked it!

I decided to join the Prime rib party, as I noticed that prime rib sales were in my area too for once, not just you lucky guys in TX.

I found a bone-in choice beef rib roast for $6.77/pd at Jewel-Osco (about 6 pounds), and a bone-in CAB standing rib roast (about 8 pounds) at Fresh Thyme for $9.99/pound.

I assume the CAB is a bit higher quality, but our Christmas plans are now to do the small prime rib. First time doing prime rib, though I bought some boneless rib roast to slice into ribeye steaks last year.

Comment

Announcement

Collapse
        No announcement yet.
        Working...
        X
        false
        ["pitmaster-my-membership","login","join-pitmaster","lostpw","reset-password","special-offers","help","nojs","meat-ups","gifts","authaau-alpha","ebooklogin-start","alpha","start"]
        false
        false
        {"count":0,"link":"/forum/announcements/","debug":""}
        Yes
        ["\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1157845-paid-members-download-your-6-deep-dive-guide-ebooks-for-free-here","\/forum\/the-pitcast","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2019-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2020-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2021-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2022-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2023-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2024-issues","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here"]
        /forum/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here