Welcome!

This is a membership forum. Guests can view 5 pages for free. To participate, please join.

[ Pitmaster Club Information | Join Now | Login | Contact Us ]

Only 4 free page views remaining.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Publix Prime Rib $6.79 per pound

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Publix Prime Rib $6.79 per pound

You may want to check your local Publix sales flier for this special, good until the 14th. The meat is "premium" USDA choice, but not Angus.

Click image for larger version  Name:	62FAA1DA-91BD-4558-B2E5-26E24C23B4CB.png Views:	0 Size:	272.9 KB ID:	1140748

I picked up a 9 pounder. Debating doing it as a prime rib or slicing into ribeye steaks.

Click image for larger version  Name:	D3994B99-4AC5-480A-A7A9-E2F76EB7BE2D.jpeg Views:	0 Size:	3.07 MB ID:	1140749 Click image for larger version  Name:	50B64B8C-0C08-43F7-9429-45F19852B6F1.jpeg Views:	0 Size:	3.10 MB ID:	1140751 Click image for larger version  Name:	215EE3FB-798C-48BF-9E8C-A5A7200E7134.jpeg Views:	0 Size:	3.52 MB ID:	1140750

I’ve seen better marbled choice beef, but for the price I thought it was pretty good, with current beef prices.
    Last edited by jfmorris; December 11, 2021, 08:21 PM.

Awesome! I wish I had a Publix around here.

Comment

• bbqLuv
      bbqLuv commented
      Editing a comment
      me too, Ditto

• kenrobin
      kenrobin commented
      Editing a comment
      Same

I agree on choice for better cuts of meat. We’ve gotten jaded with prime and even Wagyu, but a choice, especially at today’s prices, rib roast done right is hard to beat.

I’d do a delicious smoked roast with that puppy, don’t forget the horse radish sauce !!!!
    Last edited by Troutman; December 11, 2021, 08:26 PM.

Comment

• jfmorris
      jfmorris commented
      Editing a comment
      Yep. I think I am saving this for Christmas. The question now is how to do that. It's not in cryovac - its on a foam tray that is breaking, covered with plastic wrap. It's too big for my vacuum sealer bags I think.

If I do this as a roast rather than steaks, does anyone have advice on how to keep this until Christmas weekend? It's on a foam tray covered with plastic wrap. Its way too big to fit in vacuum sealer bags. Since its not cryovac, I really am not super comfortable "wet aging" and holding it for 2 weeks before cooking.

I am thinking I wrap tightly with plastic wrap, then roll it up in one of the 2 gallon zip lock bags that I use for curing bacon, and into the freezer for 10-12 days, and pull out 3 days before I cook it?
    Last edited by jfmorris; December 11, 2021, 08:37 PM.

Comment

• Panhead John
      Panhead John commented
      Editing a comment
      Jim, I’d use some Glad Press n Seal to wrap the roast with. That stuff is great. It’s a lot thicker than Syrian wrap and it sticks very well, eliminating most air
      pockets. Then do as you say, putting it in a 1 or 2 gallon freezer bag.

EDIT: I just saw what you wound up doing. Keep some Press n Seal on hand anyway. That stuff works wonders for freezing.
      Last edited by Panhead John; December 12, 2021, 08:30 AM.

• Dewesq55
      Dewesq55 commented
      Editing a comment
      The freezer in the jumbo Ziploc is what I would do.

Kathryn has posted about custom rolls for vacuum sealers. How about a roll like that and then you can seal it easy?

Up until August 2017 I had a Food Saver Vacuum Sealer that lasted well over 10 years. Then I vac sealed a bag of corn cut off the cob and drowned the innerworkings by mistake. So I

Comment

• gboss
      gboss commented
      Editing a comment
      Her knowledge about vacuum sealers is incredible. I love it when someone dives really deep. 😁

My last roast was too big to fit into 11" wide vacuum bags. I ended up ordering some of the huge ziploc bags with the vacuum sealing valve. My foodsaver (I know) has the little wand attachment to suck out the air after closing the zip.

It's not as good as a true heat seal so I wrapped in saran wrap (we're just blasting through the genericized trademarks tonight, aren't we? Xerox.) first. Won't last as long without freezer burn but it's a good option and definitely works for your timeline.

Bags I bought:
    Vacuum Zipper Bags Reusable Enlarge SizeSous Vide Bags Vacuum Food Storage Bags for Anova and Joule Cookers (5 Packs) https://www.amazon.com/dp/B087WQM6DV...ing=UTF8&psc=1

Edit: really nice spinalis you got on that roast. Love it. That's going to be delicious.
    Last edited by gboss; December 11, 2021, 10:21 PM.

Comment

• bbqLuv
      bbqLuv commented
      Editing a comment
      Great idea

Well, thanks for all the advice. I broke out the vacuum sealer and no matter what, it wasn’t going to fit into an 11 inch roll, but I wasted a couple feet trying. I did find that it had a slab of 4 bones tied up underneath, putting the meat weight down from the advertised 9 pounds. The slab with bones is pretty thin, and I may use it for gravy per Meathead’s recipe or smoke for a cooks treat.

Anyway, since I am just talking saving for Christmas or New Years, there is not much time for freezer burn. I wrapped it in about 5-6 layers of Saran Wrap, two layers of aluminum foil and then into a 2 gallon zip lock bag. It’s in the chest freezer so shouldn’t experience any temp swings that lead to much freezer burn. The only air pocket was on the bottom side of the rib bones underneath.

While in the deep freeze I found a 3 bone USDA Prime rib roast that is vacuum sealed and got frozen rather than cooked last Christmas due to lack of a get together. That one may get turned to steaks, with this one going to the family get-together this season. Regardless I’ll cook the one that isn’t sealed as well first.

Comment

• STEbbq
      STEbbq commented
      Editing a comment
      Didn’t realize you already had a roll. Glad it worked out.

I also picked up an almost 9 pound rib roast from Publix and plan to cook on Christmas day. I use Food Vac Bags gusseted bags for large in items. Here's a link. 11" X 50' Gusseted Expandable Vacuum Seal Roll
    These 11" x 50' gusseted expandable vacuum seal rolls are great for vacuum sealing large and over-sized items. We recommend a double seal.  Gusseted bags: EXPANDABLE - This bag accommodates items up to 14" wide or 11" wide X 4.5" deep, but uses a standard vacuum sealer VALUE - The 50' roll offers substantial savings over other 16' rolls, cut whatever length you need SAFE - BPA Free, Safe to use in the microwave, Wash in the dishwasher CONVENIENT - Transport casseroles or main dishes right in their pans with these XL gusseted bags STOPS WASTE - Eliminate freezer burn and dehydration with FoodVacBags Lock in flavor, texture, aroma, nutrition & freshness for any type of food, meat, produce, herbs Keep food fresh 5x to 10x longer - Locks out moisture and air and reduces freezer burn plus odor proof. Versatile and compatible with most tabletop/clamp vacuum sealers. Reusable, just trim & re-seal! Stock up and save with our cases of vacuum seal rolls.   

Comment

• jfmorris
      jfmorris commented
      Editing a comment
      Bookmarked that page - I'll have to get some of those when they are back in stock.

• FlashHokie
      FlashHokie commented
      Editing a comment
      Looks like they are available on Amazon FoodVacBags Expandable Vacuum Sealer Bags 11-inches by 50-feet Heat Seal Rolls Commercial Grade for Large Roasts, Casseroles, Game Compatible with Foodsaver (1 Roll) https://www.amazon.com/dp/B07983M227...6GN3YRS6F80S99

Tonight I spoke with the bucher at our local Publix and he said the sale will run until the 24th. Don't know if they updated the sale in the last day or so.

Comment

Check your local Publix for promotion participation -- there may also be a discount on their Greenwise Angus roast as well for just $2/lb more than the USDA Choice offering.

As always, local market conditions may alter that pricing and availability.

Comment

• jfmorris
        jfmorris commented
        Editing a comment
        Good point. My Publix didn't have the Greenwise, otherwise I would have gotten it.

• Bkhuna
        Bkhuna commented
        Editing a comment
        My publix had plenty of the Greenwise Angus. They cut me a nice three bone off the large end. Bone one is going to be for later and the other two will be a nice roast.

We have a similar deal on Choice "Prime Rib" here in ShopRite. I almost bought one yesterday but thought it was too soon.

Comment

Yessiree...Thank you Mr. Morris!!! I got a whole one...I am ready!!
        Attached Files

Comment

• jfmorris
          jfmorris commented
          Editing a comment
          I ought to have asked a butcher to bring me a whole one. As it was, I rummaged through the meat case and found the largest one they had, at 9 pounds.

How many pounds was the whole one?

Also - your's has better marbling than the one I got last weekend. I ought to go back and complain, haha!

• SonOfAButcher
          SonOfAButcher commented
          Editing a comment
          It was a smidgen over 20..I asked to see several...chose that one...they trimmed it well...put it in a bag...I tied it myself once I was done with it at home.

Just picked this up from Fred Meyer.
        Click image for larger version

Name:	Screenshot_20211215-153542_Fred Meyer.jpg
Views:	2471
Size:	64.0 KB
ID:	1142662

Comment

Thanks for the heads up! I picked one up this afternoon, going to cut it into steaks and vacuum seal I think. My mother in law bought one for me to spin on the rotisserie for our Christmas gathering as well.

Comment

Based on the sale prices noted above, and assuming availability -- given these options, which would you choose?
            • one 5lb Angus roast
            • one 7lb USDA Choice roast
            (or, in other words: if the final purchase price was exactly the same, which would you go with?)

Comment

• crpeck
              crpeck commented
              Editing a comment
              I'd look them over - check the marbling - if the 5 pointer is enough I'd probably go with the Angus, but, it depends what they look like. I ended up picking up a Choice at Publix, marbling was ok, price was great & after I SVQ it I'm sure it will be awesome!!!! Merry Christmas & whatever you pick, I'm sure it will be awesome!

Announcement

Collapse
          No announcement yet.
          Working...
          X
          false
          ["pitmaster-my-membership","login","join-pitmaster","lostpw","reset-password","special-offers","help","nojs","meat-ups","gifts","authaau-alpha","ebooklogin-start","alpha","start"]
          false
          false
          {"count":0,"link":"/forum/announcements/","debug":""}
          Yes
          ["\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1157845-paid-members-download-your-6-deep-dive-guide-ebooks-for-free-here","\/forum\/the-pitcast","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2019-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2020-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2021-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2022-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2023-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2024-issues","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here"]
          /forum/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here