Welcome!

This is a membership forum. Guests can view 5 pages for free. To participate, please join.

[ Pitmaster Club Information | Join Now | Login | Contact Us ]

Only 4 free page views remaining.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

30-Quart 58,000 BTU Propane Turkey Fryer $50 at Cabela's

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

30-Quart 58,000 BTU Propane Turkey Fryer $50 at Cabela's

I gave my turkey fryer away because I never used it.

Click image for larger version

Name:	TCc6Kj6.png
Views:	205
Size:	270.9 KB
ID:	1119818

Once I figured out that the oil to cook it in cost more than the turkey, I stopped using mine too (exactly 1 turkey). I did use it a few times to brew beer with though.

Comment

• Attjack
      Attjack commented
      Editing a comment
      I had also planned on using it for brewing but since I haven't brewed in years, and owning the burner did not lead to starting up again, I cut my losses and moved on.

We've done a couple turkeys over the years, but the cost of oil is a significant deterrent. We mostly use ours once a year to boil lobsters for an annual family feed.

Comment

The only guy I know personally who still fries turkeys every Thanksgiving clutters up his garage freezer keeping the oil for reuse for a couple of years. I've got better things than used turkey oil to put in the deep freeze, and would rather smoke/grill/rotisserie or even bake my turkey in an oven.

The better use, as Murdy suggests, is using it for big boils. I started brewing beer on a rig like that, and still use a standalone burner and big pot like that for "low country boils". My brewing has moved on to a 102K dual burner stand and two keggles (converted 15 gallon kegs).

Comment

I have a friend who holds a Thanksgiving frying party. Guys show up with their cookers along with others who show up for the fellowship and together they fry turkeys brought by family and friends. They have been doing it for years.

Comment

Around here, that’s a crab cooker

Comment

If'n it's controllable, could make a Mean-Sized pot of Gumbo, Beans, or Chili, either...etc.

Comment

• Murdy
              Murdy commented
              Editing a comment
              My dream is to make Burgoo in it some day.

Announcement

Collapse
          No announcement yet.
          Working...
          X
          false
          ["pitmaster-my-membership","login","join-pitmaster","lostpw","reset-password","special-offers","help","nojs","meat-ups","gifts","authaau-alpha","ebooklogin-start","alpha","start"]
          false
          false
          {"count":0,"link":"/forum/announcements/","debug":""}
          Yes
          ["\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1157845-paid-members-download-your-6-deep-dive-guide-ebooks-for-free-here","\/forum\/the-pitcast","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2019-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2020-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2021-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2022-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2023-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2024-issues","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here"]
          /forum/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here