Welcome!

This is a membership forum. Guests can view 5 pages for free. To participate, please join.

[ Pitmaster Club Information | Join Now | Login | Contact Us ]

Only 4 free page views remaining.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Grill grates labor day sale

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Grill grates labor day sale

Grill grates labor day sale 15% off Use laborday15 code

Does anyone know how 15% off compares to the factory seconds sale I believe they have annually?

Comment

• Attjack
      Attjack commented
      Editing a comment
      Damn, I missed it?

• jfmorris
      jfmorris commented
      Editing a comment
      You need to be on their mailing list. It sold out pretty fast too, but at the start, they had quite a few choices available - they started with 80-something of the size panel I needed.

• Attjack
      Attjack commented
      Editing a comment
      jfmorris When I got the grates for my Weber Spirit I ordered seconds when someone here posted about it and since then I have been on their mailing list. I guess I missed that email.

Thanks for sharing, I’m giving them one more shot on my Genesis for reverse searing ribeyes after smoking on the MAK. Only going for half though as I’m a little fearful after jfmorris adventure. Last night was essentially searing in a constant flare up.

Comment

• jfmorris
      jfmorris commented
      Editing a comment
      Doesn't your Genesis II have a sear burner? Mine doesn't, which is one reason I bought Grillgrates. The other reason was avoiding flareups when filling it with mass amounts of 80/20 chuck burners when cooking for 30 folks.

• glitchy
      glitchy commented
      Editing a comment
      jfmorris Mine does have the sear burner and I’m very happy with the overall performance so far. I really have not had many problems with flare ups at all, just when reverse searing thick fattier steaks.

• jfmorris
      jfmorris commented
      Editing a comment
      You know, you don't have a griddle in your lineup. You need to try smash burgers on the flat side of the Grillgrates. Before I had a griddle, that was the main use for my gas grill - that, and chicken wings (I do wings on the rail side).

Grill Grate is Great. On my Traeger, sear makes on my meat. Grill marks look neat, and burgers taste so sweat.
    And now this post is complete.
    Last edited by bbqLuv; September 3, 2021, 08:27 AM.

Comment

I prefer searing over infrared heat, as opposed to conductive heat, which is why I don't have any use for GrillGrates. YMMV

Comment

For those who were following my recent misadventure with the Genesis II E-410 firebox fiasco, which I half attribute to Grillgrates increasing temps in the firebox, and half attribute to stupidity, I was going to throw out there that I'm not done using them at least some of the time.

My introduction to Grillgrates was when I bought a used Weber Performer Deluxe from a friend for $100 a few years back, and he included a cover, a full set of Grillgrates for the Weber 22" kettle, and a propane hose to let me use a 20 pound tank. Pretty good deal, and it freed up space on his patio for the Yoder YS640 that was replacing it.

A few months later, after using them on the Performer, my son in law was flipping burgers on my Genesis Silver A, for the July 4th cookout, while I went in the house to get something. I looked out the window to the biggest grease fire imaginable - the entire Genesis Silver A (2 burner made in 2002) was on fire due to the grease from the 80/20 burgers, and the burgers were burning up too as he scrambled to get stuff off. The very next day I ordered a full replacement set of Grillgrates for it, and it was like getting a new gas grill. Searing was improved, flareups were reduced, and a lot of food just seems to come out juicer (less dried out) and more flavorful. When I got a 4 burner Genesis II in 2019, I ordered a set of Grillgrates for it the first week I had it.

I feel like they do in fact add a little more cleaning work however, due to the design. You gotta brush the valley, front to back, scrape the rail, and shovel crap out of the back of the valley with the grate tool. Once every so often, you need to pull them out, break them down, and give them a soak. I would say its a couple minutes extra work each cook, and then maybe every few months, a deep clean. However, invariably, the inside of the grill is always much much cleaner and free of debris than it ever was with the standard grates. I think I had to do a deep clean of the grill itself much less often after getting Grillgrates, due to the debris carbonizing in the valley and down in the firebox.

Its not fully conductive heat though, if cooking on the rail side, despite what Zinfella says. Heck - right next to where I am typing this is the sidebar that says "Grillgrates take gas grills to the infrared zone"... if cooking on the flat side - yeah, its more like a griddle, but with smoke.

Anyway, just my 2 cents.
        Last edited by jfmorris; September 3, 2021, 12:58 PM.

Comment

• Razor
          Razor commented
          Editing a comment
          I’ve never soaked mine. I’m a bad owner. 😆

Originally posted by jfmorris View Post
        Its not fully conductive heat though, if cooking on the rail side, despite what Zinfella says. Heck - right next to where I am typing this is the sidebar that says "Grillgrates take gas grills to the infrared zone"... if cooking on the flat side - yeah, its more like a griddle, but with smoke.

Anyway, just my 2 cents.
        zinfella doesn't cook over gas, he uses charcoal in his kettle. GrillGrates produce grill marks, which he avois, preferring the flavor of an even Maillard reaction across the entire surface of the meat. GrillGrates can get hot, but they are no match for the direct infrared heat from a kettle burning charcoal.

Years ago, in the 60's,Dave Jeller (Kelbo Corp, Sacramento) produced a new product for his wood business, by chipping Manzanita wood (harder than Chinese arithmetic), bagging it up as Kelbros Manzaquets. Some newspaper in your charcoal grill, light it and toss some Manzaquets on it, and they would fire up rapidly. You cooked right in the flames, turning often, to get a great sear on a steak. I miss those Manzaquets, not to mention a few other things.
        Last edited by zinfella; September 4, 2021, 10:18 AM.

Comment

• jfmorris
          jfmorris commented
          Editing a comment
          Yeah - I fully agree they are more useful on gas grills than on charcoal. I love a 1000F sear an inch over coals on my kettle and Kamado.

Announcement

Collapse
      No announcement yet.
      Working...
      X
      false
      ["pitmaster-my-membership","login","join-pitmaster","lostpw","reset-password","special-offers","help","nojs","meat-ups","gifts","authaau-alpha","ebooklogin-start","alpha","start"]
      false
      false
      {"count":0,"link":"/forum/announcements/","debug":""}
      Yes
      ["\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1157845-paid-members-download-your-6-deep-dive-guide-ebooks-for-free-here","\/forum\/the-pitcast","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2019-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2020-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2021-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2022-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2023-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2024-issues","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here"]
      /forum/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here