Welcome!

This is a membership forum. Guests can view 5 pages for free. To participate, please join.

[ Pitmaster Club Information | Join Now | Login | Contact Us ]

Only 4 free page views remaining.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Kroger $1.99/lb USDA Choice Brisket through 6/22

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Kroger $1.99/lb USDA Choice Brisket through 6/22

I was in Kroger yesterday, nominally to get coffee creamer for Yvonne on my way home from church, and as I always do in any store I go into, I detour through the meat department. They had some nice big USDA choice briskets packed by Swift for $1.99 per pound! There was a limit of 2 per customer, but the sale pricing is through tomorrow according to their webpage. With brisket up around $5 per pound at Costco and Sam's right now, I snapped 2 up.

I got a 20 pounder and a 22 pounder. Even after I trim fat, I imagine these are large/long enough that I may end up having to bust out the offset whenever I decide to cook these bad boys...

Now the challenge is to make freezer space for them! I've got a 7 cubic foot chest freezer that is packed already, a side by side freezer, and two top-freezer fridges out in the garage, and I've been shoving all the ribs, pork and beef I found on sale into them for the past month or two...

Anyway - check Kroger.com and see if your local store has the sale. Definitely worth checking it out at this price. I've only done prime packers to date, but at these prices, decided to take a gamble.

I've been seeing these and grabbing one or two as freezer space allows. I love those briskets for around $35!

Comment

Thanks for this post Jim! Gonna be at my Kroger later today, will definitely check it out.

EDIT: It’s a regional sale. No briskets for that pice around here.
      Last edited by Panhead John; June 21, 2021, 03:16 PM.

Comment

Darn, must be a regional sale, my local Kroger isn't even close to that price

Comment

Are you cooking them whole or with the point separated from the flat?

Comment

• jfmorris
            jfmorris commented
            Editing a comment
            I've always done the full packer without separating. I imagine I could separate and fit part on the elevated grate, or trim the end of the flat, but the offset may be the way to go and avoid that.

Just got back from Kroger, they had none 😞

Comment

It’s definitely a regional thing. No briskets for that price here in Houston.

Comment

• Chrisl
              Chrisl commented
              Editing a comment
              Same in NJ. I pay 7.99 and 8.99 for brisket. I get crazy when I see that others can get sales of better than 2.00

I'll be back in about an hour....

Comment

• prepperjack
              prepperjack commented
              Editing a comment
              No joy here in NW Georgia. $5.99/lb - from Swift, so maybe it depends on where your area gets its meat?

• jfmorris
              jfmorris commented
              Editing a comment
              prepperjack these were from Swift at the local Kroger here in N. Alabama.

Jealous, jealous, jealous....
            Found cryovaced packers at Sobey's today $70+ apiece, didn't even look at the price per lb.
            To rich for my blood.

Comment

Sorry you guys are striking out. I just found this sale by accident, and then confirmed it showed for me on kroger.com when I picked my local store's weekly sales flyer. Hopefully someone else finds them at this price.

Comment

• prepperjack
                prepperjack commented
                Editing a comment
                jfmorris Nah, I'm glad you let us know - it gave me an excuse to get out of the house for a bit. Though, while I was there, my wife texted me and asked me to pick up some cauliflower. I'm still processing the fact that I went for brisket and left with only cauliflower. I'm sure that's illegal somewhere.

• Panhead John
                Panhead John commented
                Editing a comment
                It’s a felony here in Texas.

Just so you don't think I am crazy here.... kroger.com shows this for me here, in the weekly ad for prices through 6/22. I would not go unless you see this on kroger.com for your store.

Click image for larger version  Name:	Capture.PNG Views:	0 Size:	217.7 KB ID:	1048712

And proof I got this Swift packed brisket in my fridge and didn't dream it... turns out one is a lightweight at 17 pounds...

It does not have quite the marbling I am used to with Prime, but hopefully will be good.

Click image for larger version  Name:	IMG_5382.JPEG Views:	0 Size:	642.8 KB ID:	1048713Click image for larger version  Name:	IMG_5386.JPEG Views:	0 Size:	975.3 KB ID:	1048714Click image for larger version  Name:	IMG_5383.JPEG Views:	0 Size:	875.6 KB ID:	1048716Click image for larger version  Name:	IMG_5384.JPEG Views:	0 Size:	1.05 MB ID:	1048715
              Last edited by jfmorris; June 21, 2021, 06:23 PM.

Comment

• Panhead John
                Panhead John commented
                Editing a comment
                It’s not uncommon for nationwide chains to have regional pricing, especially grocery stores.

I don’t think they were on sale at Kroger here in Dallas, but I did get a choice one from Albertsons at $1.67.

Comment

• jfmorris
                jfmorris commented
                Editing a comment
                Even better!

I got mine at the Kroger here in southern TN. 19.19 pounds. Thanks!
              Click image for larger version  Name:	4C1C0560-AE80-4EA0-92DC-F98CF68A5A7B.jpeg Views:	0 Size:	4.24 MB ID:	1049135
              Last edited by fuzzydaddy; June 22, 2021, 03:13 PM.

Comment

• jfmorris
                jfmorris commented
                Editing a comment
                So glad someone else found this deal!

My parents went today (last day of the sale) only to find out that Kroger sold out yesterday, and the guy behind the meat counter doesn't expect to get any more briskets for the foreseeable future, due to supply constraints.

None here, went today, they had 80/20 hamburger for $2.66 per lb, Butt's were $1.89 lb, baby backs were 2.89. The lady at the check out, said meat delivery was late Weds day afternoon come back Thursday. We'll see. Thanks for heads up.

Comment

• jfmorris
                jfmorris commented
                Editing a comment
                Two weeks ago butts (Swift) were 99 cents per pound at my Kroger. Starting tomorrow it’s pork loin at 1.89.

Announcement

Collapse
            No announcement yet.
            Working...
            X
            false
            ["pitmaster-my-membership","login","join-pitmaster","lostpw","reset-password","special-offers","help","nojs","meat-ups","gifts","authaau-alpha","ebooklogin-start","alpha","start"]
            false
            false
            {"count":0,"link":"/forum/announcements/","debug":""}
            Yes
            ["\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1157845-paid-members-download-your-6-deep-dive-guide-ebooks-for-free-here","\/forum\/the-pitcast","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2019-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2020-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2021-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2022-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2023-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2024-issues","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here"]
            /forum/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here