Welcome!

This is a membership forum. Guests can view 5 pages for free. To participate, please join.

[ Pitmaster Club Information | Join Now | Login | Contact Us ]

Only 4 free page views remaining.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Costco Father's Day Sale: Bone in Prime Ribeye $15.99/lb

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Costco Father's Day Sale: Bone in Prime Ribeye $15.99/lb

My bride just picked up a couple small one's
    Click image for larger version

Name:	645731400_20210618_135015.jpg
Views:	533
Size:	37.2 KB
ID:	1047148Click image for larger version

Name:	Attach25958_20210618_135600.jpg
Views:	698
Size:	57.6 KB
ID:	1047149

Enjoy! Sad to think that $15.99 per pound could be a "sale" price!

Be careful with that blade tenderized meat....

Comment

• jfmorris
      jfmorris commented
      Editing a comment
      ecowper I agree that the risk is low, but it is not zero. Otherwise, why would Costco ensure that ALL their stores put these warning labels to cook the meat to 160F internal temperature when it has been blade tenderized? Maybe it is a federal labeling requirement when these type devices are used in processing meat. I've also cooked steaks form there to medium rare before, but have only bought primal cuts and made my own steaks from Costco since becoming aware of the risk.

• BBQPhil
      BBQPhil commented
      Editing a comment
      And no extra charge for blade tenderizing!

• BBQPhil
      BBQPhil commented
      Editing a comment
      Here's a thought. Lets all contact Costco's CEO and let him know that blade tenderizing is a safety issue and should be stopped.
      [email protected]
      Craig Jelinek
      425-313-8100

I can’t remember the last time I saw them with the cap on. Nice pickup

Comment

• bbqLuv
      bbqLuv commented
      Editing a comment
      Costco sells the caps separately, tied into round steaks. Vey taste steaks I must say.
      The butcher/meat cutter told me the ribeye is just the eye with no cap or bone, The rib steak has both the bone and cap. Oh well, that was at the Costco we shop at. So reading the label it says Bone-in.
      But they don't stock PBR--I almost quit going there.

• bardsleyque
      bardsleyque commented
      Editing a comment
      they sometimes have Rasputin!!!

Only beef I buy from Costco is whole ______ (insert brisket, ribeye, etc), unless I’m buying something to toss in the meat grinder. Blade tenderized is horrible. I’ve talked to a few of the butchers at my local Costco and they don’t like it either, but someone higher up is making the call.

Sous vide would be the only way I’d cook one of their precut steaks - then finish over a blazing hot wood fire. Sous vide is the only way you can get it to a safe temp without drying it out.

Might be time to invest in a sous vide machine!
    …come to think of it I recall seeing one at Costco last time I was there. Coincidence??? I think not…counting on the sales!!!
    Last edited by Santamarina; June 19, 2021, 12:04 AM.

Comment

• dubob
      dubob commented
      Editing a comment
      I sous vide ALL my steaks now and sear in a medium-high skillet in butter. Tender as a Mother's love and juicy beyond belief. Even london broil or flank steaks - sous vide for 24 to 36 hours. Yummy. 😁

• jfmorris
      jfmorris commented
      Editing a comment
      Fully agree with this. I don't use my Anova often, but will if someone gives me a pack of steaks that are blade tenderized. If you SV the steaks at 135F, the internal temp needs to be maintained for 37 minutes to be pasteurized and safe. Then you can shock, dry off the surface, and sear it off on the grill.

Big old tomahawks!! Nice score Fritz !!

Comment

I have to say I'm a little bummed out about the blade tenderizing. I buy steaks from Costco all the time. Actually just bought 6 today to cook tomorrow. I always pull them at about 130-ish mark haven't had any ill happenings yet, but am definitely not happy they do that.

Comment

I didn't even see these at Costco yesterday. I went to check out the prime packers and my jaw dropped when I saw them at $5.99/lb. I've never seen them above 3.69, and it's usually lower than that, so I just left the meat department.

Comment

Just bought 2 avg 3# thawks for $16.99/# at my local Costco. Also got some huge beef backribs and a couple of decent Pichanas. Of course had to load up on charcoal. Dang it I just went there for bottled water and $200 jumped out of my wallet. DAMN you Costco 🤣🥰

Comment

• Panhead John
            Panhead John commented
            Editing a comment
            I know! I went there for shrimp yesterday, wound up dropping $160.

• ecowper
            ecowper commented
            Editing a comment
            Dude, $200 is the exit fee at Costco

Click image for larger version

Name:	E9AEDD3C-C66E-484B-B8B7-B860F8924796.jpeg
Views:	335
Size:	147.3 KB
ID:	1047866 Then there’s this from Costco spotted today Click image for larger version

Name:	77C75A26-A2CC-4EA9-8645-C2894EB0712A.jpeg
Views:	326
Size:	135.3 KB
ID:	1047864Click image for larger version

Name:	92AAD6D1-6DA7-458D-B183-27C39B3AAC5B.jpeg
Views:	313
Size:	196.4 KB
ID:	1047865

Comment

• dubob
            dubob commented
            Editing a comment
            Seriously - who buys $100 steaks?

• tdimond
            tdimond commented
            Editing a comment
            Was this in the business center on Kerney Mesa?

• Troutman
            Troutman commented
            Editing a comment
            The problem is they're kind of paper thin. Best you could do is quick sear.

I've had Costco prime that was good, and some that didn't live up to prime grade level expectations, IMO. My buddy Dave agrees.

Unless otherwise labeled, all Costco prime is from Holsteins, not Angus, or Hereford, which is why they can sell it so cheap, and maybe why they blade tenderize it.. It comes out of the Swift plant here in Phoenix.

I have a local butcher that sells prime Angus steaks, which are great, but at a higher cost. Nothing against Costco, we shop there a few times a month, but, you get what you pay for.
          Last edited by zinfella; June 20, 2021, 10:08 PM.

Comment

• Troutman
            Troutman commented
            Editing a comment
            Come on over to my house and I'll cook you a 21 day dry aged "Holstein" ribeye and tell me it's not as good as Angus. I too eat CAB from my butcher but honestly can't tell much of any difference, at least for the money.

• zinfella
            zinfella commented
            Editing a comment
            It's been a mixed bag with the Costco prime Reyes and Sirloins, but the prime New Yorks have not impressed me. The prime Filets have not had any problems. We usually do Filets stovetop, and make a pan sauce to accompany them.

Costco Carlsbad, CA

Comment

Hulagn1971 THose are some good looking steaks! Great choice by your wife. Ignore all the naysayers and enjoy the heck out of those steaks!

Comment

• Hulagn1971
              Hulagn1971 commented
              Editing a comment
              Thanks ecowper! I've never been disappointed by the steaks we get from Costco or gotten sick for that matter. We will most certainly keep purchasing!

Just to clarify for folks …. Talked to my friend who is a Costco meat buyer …. It is not true that all Costco prime beef is Holsteins from the plant in Arizona. The only way you could tell is if you read the BUG# on the label and know what the code means. It really depends on where you are, what is being processed where, and when.

Comment

• zinfella
              zinfella commented
              Editing a comment
              The prime that we get in this area is from the Phoenix Swift plant. Did your friend tell you why they blade tenderize it?

• ecowper
              ecowper commented
              Editing a comment
              zinfella Unfortunately the meat buyers are not in charge of the warehouse meat departments. On top of that, I think Rob knows there is controversy over that. He is pretty vague when I ask him about that. On the other hand, I have to say that I’ve never had a bad steak at his house. :-)

I'd like to know why they need to blade tenderize prime meat. I asked one of the butchers at my Costco and he didn't know- just said they have a machine in the back that they use. I've stopped buying their meat because some sirloins were just too chewy. Maybe I answered my own question.

Comment

I thought it might be better to go to the source rather than keep posting my opinions about meat tenderizing. So, yesterday I sent an email to the CEO of Costco, Craig Jelinek, to ask him why they do this and how does it effect safety or longevity. I just received a call from their VP of Meat Operations for the US and we had a long and interesting discussion.

He explained that tenderizing is done on some of their meat in order to improve the consistency and provide a higher level of user satisfaction. He assured me that there is no added impact to safety, and, in fact, explained with lots of specifics how meat safety has improved significantly over the years. It was a very useful and informative discussion. He invited me to take a tour of their meat operations at my local Costco store to learn more. Looking forward to that.

Comment

• Hulagn1971
                Hulagn1971 commented
                Editing a comment
                Very cool!

• jfmorris
                jfmorris commented
                Editing a comment
                So does he claim it is safe to cook to medium-rare say 135F, even when they put a warning on the blade tenderized meat saying to cook it to 160F?

• zinfella
                zinfella commented
                Editing a comment
                USDA says cook to160Ëš to e be safe, whether it's blade tenderized or not. Costco can't say otherwise, and they don't. When I cook, I make the call about the temperature and ,the USDA isn't invited. Blade tenderizing adds to the controversy.

Announcement

Collapse
            No announcement yet.
            Working...
            X
            false
            ["pitmaster-my-membership","login","join-pitmaster","lostpw","reset-password","special-offers","help","nojs","meat-ups","gifts","authaau-alpha","ebooklogin-start","alpha","start"]
            false
            false
            {"count":0,"link":"/forum/announcements/","debug":""}
            Yes
            ["\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1157845-paid-members-download-your-6-deep-dive-guide-ebooks-for-free-here","\/forum\/the-pitcast","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2019-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2020-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2021-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2022-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2023-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2024-issues","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here"]
            /forum/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here