Welcome!

This is a membership forum. Guests can view 5 pages for free. To participate, please join.

[ Pitmaster Club Information | Join Now | Login | Contact Us ]

Only 4 free page views remaining.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

9/7/17 Report from Rick Browne in Houston

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

9/7/17 Report from Rick Browne in Houston

Started at4:30am as teams put 800+ pounds of pork tenderloin on their 7 large ferris wheel smokers. Then while they were cooking prepped approx. the same weight of Boston Butts, they had orders for 29,000 meals for lunch from various locations they're delivering hot meals to, and 19,310 for dinner meals. But that was to exceed by another 10,000 meals by the end of the day.

30 staff of OBR with 130 volunteers worked constantly from 4:30 am until 7:30 pm prepping, cooking and finishing up large pans of protein (turkey, pork loins, and pulled pork, and chicken) and veggies (corn, bbq beans, rice, beans, or green beans) or individual meal-sized servings.

FOX set up a live segment right in the middle of camp while volunteers were eating dinner.

I was on a national guard Chinook helicopter flight that took 500 meals to tiny Kountse, TX. Plans are already formulating for many of the folks here to head to Florida on Sat. or Sunday to deal with Irma - and most folks are exhausted already after 8 days of work here. Exhausted but proud - as by week's end they will likely break their record of 313,000 meals in Katrina to over 350-360 thousand meals here- and again with about 160 people...

Donations can be made here https://operationbbqrelief.org/

Thanks for the update! What a wonderful organization and thing to do for people. I'll make my weekly donation tomorrow!

Comment

Glad to see this wonderful work! Kudos to all involved!! I can't help but wonder how the food police deal with this kind of effort???

Comment

Thanks for the update. The work that these folks are doing is truly remarkable and is another sign of the power of BBQ.

Comment

Thanks for the update. Let's hope Irma calms down!

Comment

Meathead, Thanks for the UpDate! I'll make another Gesture Toward OPRBBQREIIEF FOR THIER OUTSTANDING Good Job! I have Been Trying to Get Get a [email protected] in the behalf of OPBBQRELIEF, KFGO 790 is an AM "Big Stick" Eastern Montana, Southern Manitoba, Saskatchewan, & Ontario CA, Minnesota and South Dakota! It's Primarily a Talk Radio Station that Does the Area a Great Service with News and WX Coverages! KFGO is Totally Owned By Midwest Radio of WI‼️ With President Trump in the State Yesterday, I am having a Bit of Trouble Getting the
            Needed Attention! Perhaps if You Gave Them a Call and Stated the Case for Needed Donations! Ph: 701-237-5948! The Operations MGR, Joel Heitkamp, News MGR., Paul Jurgens! Homepage http://kfgo.com/ PS: I'm Personally acquainted With Joel and Paul and Others at the Station!
            Eat Well and Prosper! From a Backyard Cremator in Fargo ND, Dan

Click image for larger version

Name:	image.jpeg
Views:	215
Size:	171.5 KB
ID:	376530
            Last edited by Danjohnston949; September 7, 2017, 03:07 PM.

Comment

I appreciate the update Meathead. This is a super effort.

Comment

This is an incredible amount of food!! Where does the meat come from? Is it donated? Purchased? These people are doing work that will definitely gain them karma.

Comment

Dude!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Comment

Originally posted by Cheef View Post
                    ... Where does the meat come from? Is it donated? Purchased? ...
                    The BBQ Central Show had a segment in the second hour on Tuesday 9/5 with David Marks, CMO of OBR. He gave a good "high level" overview of of where things come from and how the program runs in general. It's worth checking out. That segments starts at about an hour and 16 min into the show.

https://www.facebook.com/pg/bbqcentralshow/videos/?ref=page_internal

www.thebbqcentralshow.com
                    Last edited by Jon Solberg; September 8, 2017, 09:45 AM.

Comment

Announcement

Collapse
                    No announcement yet.
                    Working...
                    X
                    false
                    ["pitmaster-my-membership","login","join-pitmaster","lostpw","reset-password","special-offers","help","nojs","meat-ups","gifts","authaau-alpha","ebooklogin-start","alpha","start"]
                    false
                    false
                    {"count":0,"link":"/forum/announcements/","debug":""}
                    Yes
                    ["\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1157845-paid-members-download-your-6-deep-dive-guide-ebooks-for-free-here","\/forum\/the-pitcast","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2019-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2020-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2021-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2022-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2023-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2024-issues","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here"]
                    /forum/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here