Welcome!

This is a membership forum. Guests can view 5 pages for free. To participate, please join.

[ Pitmaster Club Information | Join Now | Login | Contact Us ]

Only 4 free page views remaining.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Did anyone here work on the ground with Operation BBQ relief in KY/TN in Dec? Or anywhere else?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Did anyone here work on the ground with Operation BBQ relief in KY/TN in Dec? Or anywhere else?

After the tornados in December a number of us donated to Operation BBQ Relief to help fund efforts after the weather played itself out.

My son is writing an essay for a scholarship application through the Oklahoma City National Memorial Museum. The requirements are for him to write about an event, either local, state or national, where people pulled together and helped each other, making a difference in their communities as a response to disaster or some other adverse event.

So I had the idea of him writing about the efforts of Operation BBQ Relief and how people on the ground responded to that. Lots of us donated, we didn't have the time, ability or opportunity to participate, but I thought maybe he could interview someone, say either via email, phone or even a Zoom call, and get some answers and inspiration, a few quotes, etc.

It would be great to be able to talk to a couple of people, maybe someone on the national level who can speak to the organizing efforts, as well as one or two on the ground who can share some stories or experiences.

Anyone here willing to help a high schooler out in gather material for his essay? This is due in a couple of weeks, so we thought maybe sometime next week we could get something put together.

Thanks!

I believe T-bone has done this numerous times.

Comment

DogFaced PonySoldier I've deployed twice with OBR. It's been a few years, but I deployed to White Sulphur Springs, WV after severe flooding and to Wilmington, NC after a hurricane. Both were amazing and rewarding experiences. I'd be happy to help if you don't find anyone that deployed recently to KY or TN.

Also, I recommend reaching out to OBR at [email protected] to talk with a coordinator.

HawkerXP thanks for the shout out.

Comment

Thanks for the tips. T-bone I may reach out to you, and thanks for pitching in and helping out.

Comment

• T-bone
          T-bone commented
          Editing a comment
          My pleasure. Anytime. Good luck.

DogFaced PonySoldier

​​​​​​​I volunteered with OBR in Mayfield in December.

I was there on their first day. It was a set-up day as much as it was a food-prep day, although we did prepare and hand out around 600 hot lunches.

It was fascinating to see all the equipment and supplies come together. It went from a bunch of trucks on a church parking lot to a fully functional set up quickly. They really do have their act together.

I wanted to go back another day or two to see them operate at full capacity, but wasn’t able to make it work out.

If you’re still needing people for the essay, I’d be happy to help also.

Comment

Brian_M that would be great if you don't mind. Would you mind sending me your email or some way to get ahold of you (cell/text?) and I'll get with my wife and see if we can set something up.

Thanks!

Comment

DogFaced PonySoldier

I think I’ve sent you a private message with my contact info…if it doesn’t come through let me know.

Comment

Announcement

Collapse
            No announcement yet.
            Working...
            X
            false
            ["pitmaster-my-membership","login","join-pitmaster","lostpw","reset-password","special-offers","help","nojs","meat-ups","gifts","authaau-alpha","ebooklogin-start","alpha","start"]
            false
            false
            {"count":0,"link":"/forum/announcements/","debug":""}
            Yes
            ["\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1157845-paid-members-download-your-6-deep-dive-guide-ebooks-for-free-here","\/forum\/the-pitcast","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2019-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2020-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2021-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2022-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2023-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2024-issues","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here"]
            /forum/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here