Welcome!

This is a membership forum. As a guest, you can click around a bit. View 5 pages for free. If you would like to participate, please join.

[ Pitmaster Club Information | Join Now | Login | Contact Us ]

There are 4 page views remaining.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Pitmaster Club Exclusive First Taste: Meathead's Amazing Rubs & Sauce - ALL 4 - Now Available For Purchase!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• RichieB
    commented on 's reply
    I read this post and other info on MSG including the FDA's write up that Meathead shared. Ordered a bottle. Figure a $3 experiment is worth it. Came today. So, I'm thinking of starting with burgers. Remember I'm cheap so no steak yet. 2 burgers one with & one without. I know M.H. told Mosca "generously" add. My question is there a rule of thumb similar to dry brining where x amount per pound of meat? Also, other than protein anything else it could be applied to? Thanks

• RichieB
    commented on 's reply
    Literally just finished the strip steak. Wow! I'll post pictures on the right channel.

• Huskee
    replied
    My son said something along the lines of "can we just use this on everything from now on?" regarding the Red Meat rub.

Then the next day he smelled the pork rub and said "can we put this on a steak and see how it tastes?" The jury's still out on that one, but I am putting the Red Meat on a thick pork loin chop tomorrow.

Leave a comment:

• RichieB
    commented on 's reply
    Meathead you nailed it.

• Meathead
    commented on 's reply
    I have ALWAYS been a salt only guy, MAYBE a little pepper. This Red rub is awesome. My wife won't let me grill a steak without it.

• RichieB
    replied
    A quick note. My wife did shaved steak with peppers and onions. No spices. That's just her. I added a fair amount of the Beef seasoing. Some white cheese on a sub roll. Must say, impressed with the flavor. Tommorow will be doing a Strip Steak. Sunday Pork Chops. I'm optimistic positive vibes coming.

Leave a comment:

• Meathead
    commented on 's reply
    Mosca Yes! Sprinkle it on generously on half and taste a bone from each half. Or do two steaks, one with and one without.

• Mosca
    commented on 's reply
    So that raises a question: should we be adding MSG to our ribs?

Or: should I phrase the question “How much MSG should we be adding to our ribs?”

• Matt Bykowski
    commented on 's reply
    Makes a lot of sense. Just picked up the Pork from Barbeque Supply Company in Greendale, WI. When you are comfortable with getting out more, please consider doing a book signing there. Can't wait to do a cook with the rub. Cheers!

• Craigar
    commented on 's reply
    The power of well guided misinformation still reigns supreme. It reminds me of the old Miller Lite commercial how they joke about their beer not having ght. Of course Bud Light was all butt hurt over the commercial and Miller quit airing that commercial. Thank you Meathead for educating the masses and sharing helpful information. I have an aunt who claims she's allergic to MSG, but doesn't hesitate to chow down on all of the products you mentioned. Keep up the good work, sir!

• Meathead
    replied
    About MSG (a.k.a. Monosodium Glutamate, a.k.a. Glutamic Acid). I absolutely LOVE what MSG does to meats! But it is NOT in our rubs.

We considered adding it but decided not to because people are scared of it, unreasonably I think. MSG is glutamic acid, an amino acid, and it is naturally present in our bodies. MSG occurs in nature in many foods, among them tomatoes, cheeses, and mushrooms. Doritos, Pringles, and Campbell's Chicken Noodle Soup are loaded with MSG so if you can eat them, but you think you can't eat MSG, think again.

It is an amino acid that is a natural flavor enhancer as well as a natural byproduct of some aging and fermentation processes. Some people believe that MSG can cause headaches, but scientists have had no luck proving the connection in controlled tests. I have not yet seen a definitive peer reviewed scientific study on the subject, and that is the gold standard. A lot of people say it causes them headaches, but when they are brought into a lab and fed meals with MSG or a placebo, there is no connection. The eminent food writer Jeffrey Steingarten debunked “Chinese restaurant syndrome” in a famous essay “Why Doesn’t Everyone in China Have a Headache?”

Here is what science and FDA say about it and the labeling laws
    https://www.fda.gov/food/food-additi...-glutamate-msg

Leave a comment:

• Meathead
    replied
    About the pricing: BBQSpot.com is the manufacturer's site. They cannot undercut retailer prices or no stores would buy. As they get into wider distribution late this year, you will probably see lower prices in stores and websites.

Leave a comment:

• Meathead
    commented on 's reply
    BBQSpot.com is the manufacturer's site. They cannot undercut retailer prices or nobody would buy. As they get into wider distribution late this year, you will probably see lower prices in stores and websites.

• Meathead
    replied
    We got the comments section added to the bottom of the page with info about the rubs. If you have tried them and would like to share your impressions (good or bad) please feel free here https://amazingribs.com/flavor

Leave a comment:

• Meathead
    commented on 's reply
    We are talking to a distributor in Canada now. Might be a few months...

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.
Working...
X
false
["pitmaster-my-membership","login","join-pitmaster","lostpw","reset-password","special-offers","help","nojs","meat-ups","gifts","authaau-alpha","ebooklogin-start","alpha","start"]
false
false
{"count":0,"link":"/forum/announcements/","debug":""}
Yes
Rubs Promo

Spotlight

These are not ads or paid placements. These are some of our favorite tools and toys.

These are products we have tested, won our top awards, and are highly recommend. Click here to read how we test, about our medals, and what they mean.

Use Our Links To Help Keep Us Alive

A big part of this site is our unbiased equipment and product reviews. We love playing with toys and we have no problem calling them the way we see them. Some companies pay a finder’s fee if a reader clicks a link on AmazingRibs.com and buys a product. It has zero impact on our reviews, zero impact on the price you pay, and the sites never tell us what you bought, but it has a major impact on our ability to keep this site alive! So before you buy, please click our links. Here’s a link that takes you to a page on Amazon that has some of our favorite tools and toys: https://tinyurl.com/amazingribs

The Good-One Is A Superb Grill And A Superb Smoker All In One

The Good-One Open Range is dramatically different from a traditional offset smoker. By placing the heat source behind and under the smokebox instead of off to the side, Open Range produces even temperature from left to right, something almost impossible to achieve with a standard barrel shaped offset.

Click here to read ourcomplete review

Compact Powerful Sear Machine For Your Next Tailgater

Char-Broil’s Grill2Go x200 is a super-portable, fun little sizzler made of heavy, rust-proof cast aluminum. The lid snaps shut. Grab the handle and you’re off to the party! Char-Broil’s TRU-Infrared design produces searing heat while reducing fuel consumption. A 16 ounce LP gas canister is enough to keep you flipping burgers for hours.

Click here to read our detailed review and to order

Bring The Heat With Broil King Signet’s Dual Tube Burners

3 burner gas grill

The Broil King Signet 320 is a modestly priced, 3-burner gas grill that packs a lot of value and power under the hood. Broil King’s proprietary, dual-tube burners get hot fast and are able to achieve high, searing temps that rival most comparatively priced gas grills. The quality cast aluminum housing carries a Limited Lifetime Warranty.

Click here to read ourcompletereview

The Cool Kettle With The Hinged Hood We Always Wanted

Napoleon’s 22″ Pro Cart Charcoal Kettle Grill puts a few spins on the familiar kettle design. In fact, the hinged lid with a handle on the front, spins in a rotary motion 180 degrees. It’s hard to beat a Weber kettle, but Napoleon holds its own and adds some unique features to make the 22″ Pro Cart a viable alternative.

Click here for more about what makes this grill special

Comprehensive Temperature Magnet With 80+ Important Temps

Amazingribs.com temperature magnet
Winner of the National BBQ Association’s product of the year award. This 8.5″ x 11″ magnet contains more that 80 benchmark temperatures for meats (both USDA recommended temps as well as the temps chefs recommend), fats and oils, sugars, sous vide, eggs, collagens, wood combustion, breads, and more. Although it is not certified as all-weather, we have tested it outdoors in Chicago weather and it has not delaminated in three years, but there is minor fading.

Click here to order.

The Efficiency Of A Kamado Plus The Flexibility Of The Slow ‘N Sear Insert

kamado grill
Built around SnS Grill’s patented Slow ‘N Sear charcoal kettle accessory, this 22-inch kamado is a premium ceramic grill that brings true 2-zone cooking to a kamado.

Click here for our article on this exciting cooker

GrillGrates Take Gas Grills To The InfraredZone

GrillGrates(TM) amplify heat, prevent flareups, make flipping foods easier, kill hotspots, flip over to make a fine griddle, and can be easily moved from one grill to another. You can even throw wood chips, pellets, or sawdust between the rails and deliver a quick burst of smoke.

Click here for more about what makes these grates so special