Welcome!

This is a membership forum. As a guest, you can click around a bit. View 5 pages for free. If you would like to participate, please join.

[ Pitmaster Club Information | Join Now | Login | Contact Us ]

There are 4 page views remaining.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Pitmaster Club Exclusive First Taste: Meathead's Amazing Rubs & Sauce - ALL 4 - Now Available For Purchase!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

I am in Canada. Is it available to buy or ship here? The link I followed does not allow me to do so.

Comment

• Meathead
      Meathead commented
      Editing a comment
      I asked the manufacturer. She said "We can not ship internationally yet. We also would also have to run bi-lingual labels and stock additional finished goods." We are adding retailers who might sell internationally so sit tight.

• Meathead
      Meathead commented
      Editing a comment
      We are talking to a distributor in Canada now. Might be a few months...

jfmorris how many bottles of spice on the wall? And if ya use one up………….

Comment

• jfmorris
      jfmorris commented
      Editing a comment
      I think its down a few from last count!

I just got my shipment of the commercial rubs from Meathead ...... I now definitely understand the price. And I would say you're getting a damn good value at this price point, to be honest.

The bottles are at least half again bigger than the typical rub I get in the grocery store. Those typically run 6-8 dollars a bottle. The shaker bottles are definitely higher quality. I will be using them to store my own rubs once Meathead's have been used up.

And, importantly, when I opened it up, the aroma flooded my kitchen. It was obviously made with very fresh ingredients. After getting past the aroma, the colors were also sharp and distinct, not muddy and washed out like most stuff I see in grocery stores.

Going to cook a couple NY strips with the beef rub tonight and report back.

next to a coffee cup for a sense of the size of the shaker bottles.
    Click image for larger version

Name:	1.jpeg
Views:	247
Size:	121.9 KB
ID:	1085730
    Here's one of Meathead's rubs next to something I get at the grocery store for 7 or 8 dollars. Huge difference in size and amount of rub

Name:	7.jpeg
Views:	229
Size:	71.0 KB
ID:	1085734

These gorgeous NY Strips from Vandal Meats in Idaho are getting a dose of Meathead tonight!

Name:	2.jpeg
Views:	229
Size:	62.0 KB
ID:	1085733

Love this shaker bottle design

Name:	3.jpeg
Views:	231
Size:	50.5 KB
ID:	1085732
    Really cool ..... will keep and use for my own rubs

Name:	4.jpeg
Views:	233
Size:	38.9 KB
ID:	1085731
    Nice color, real herbs in there, not just powder

Name:	5.jpeg
Views:	233
Size:	54.4 KB
ID:	1085736
    It's full to the top, very little settling

Name:	6.jpeg
Views:	236
Size:	59.2 KB
ID:	1085735

Comment

• Panhead John
      Panhead John commented
      Editing a comment
      ecowper Did you mean…there is NO actual link to click on?
      I went there yesterday and I also found there’s no way to leave comments.

• ecowper
      ecowper commented
      Editing a comment
      Panhead John .... yup *no was missing.

• Huskee
      Huskee commented
      Editing a comment
      ecowper Yeah I noticed the same. I will contact BigJim, our free site IT guy.

Thanks ecowper for the reminder. I meant to order awhile back but as usual brain went in a different direction. Ordered!

Comment

Meathead you are definitely right about using the rub liberally. I put about 1 1/2 tsp on each steak last night. Came out great, the rub was not even close to overwhelming (which I was concerned about). The salt was pretty light, I will be dry brining ahead of the rub in the future. Overall, very much like this rub. It's not BBBR in a commercial wrapper, although it has similarities.

The rub developed a nice crust during the indirect cook. And it didn't burn while searing on grill grates.

I think this is a great commercial rub and will definitely be good for the average person grilling at home. Nothing complicated, just shake the rub on liberally, put in fridge for an hour, then onto the grill.

Click image for larger version  Name:	MH-Rub - 1.jpeg Views:	0 Size:	272.4 KB ID:	1085924

Click image for larger version  Name:	MH-Rub - 2.jpeg Views:	0 Size:	313.4 KB ID:	1085925
      Last edited by ecowper; August 31, 2021, 10:38 AM.

Comment

• RichieB
        RichieB commented
        Editing a comment
        ecowper, what did the steaks weigh each? Looks about 1#.

• Huskee
        Huskee commented
        Editing a comment
        (As an aside, it's Mrs O'Leary's Cow Crust, not BBBR). Anyway, the Disqus will be added to that page soon, the fella who handles it is on vaca (of course!)

• ecowper
        ecowper commented
        Editing a comment
        Huskee the dark colors on the rub made me think BBBR, but flavor profile is definitely more like Mrs. O'Leary's.

RichieB the smaller was 12 oz an the larger was 15 oz

I just received these and immediately opened them up for a finger test. I was surprised that the Beef and Pork rubs already had a smokey flavor until I read the labels and saw they were made with smoked sea salt and smoked paprika. I have never made Mrs. O'leary Cow Crust or Memphis Dust with a smoked additive. Does anyone know if this will change the flavor profile of what I am used to getting with home-made rubs and will my meat coming out of the smoker taste 'over smoked". I can't wait to try them, I was just caught off-guard by it. Looking forward to taking them for a test drive.
      Last edited by bep35; August 31, 2021, 05:45 PM.

Comment

• Huskee
        Huskee commented
        Editing a comment
        We put SMOKED on the front label to indicate this, but it's easy to miss it. (And it's Mrs. O'leary's Cow Crust, not BBBR) but no, the smokiness won't make it change much from what you're used to after you cook with it, especially if you cook on a grill or smoker.

• bep35
        bep35 commented
        Editing a comment
        Oh yes. MOCC. Sorry about that. I did miss the SMOKED label but that is okay. I would have ordered anyway, so no big deal. Can't wait for the weekend to fire up the grill and see what a smoked rub taste like. Might go for the triple play: beef, chicken, and pork.

Used the poultry rub on some boneless skinless chicken breast for a salad tonight. Cooked on the flat side of grill grates and the rub did not burn. It has a really great flavor! I’m looking forward to trying the others.

Name:	D91203CE-35E0-4919-A2C4-84E87176FEBA.jpeg
Views:	226
Size:	150.1 KB
ID:	1086296

Comment

• bep35
        bep35 commented
        Editing a comment
        Are those brand new grill grates? If not how in the world do you keep them that clean?

• Red Man
        Red Man commented
        Editing a comment
        bep35 Yep, brand new grill grates 😂. After a few cooks now they don’t look like that at all.

My order will ship tomorrow. Hopefully be here by Monday. Like to use the beef rub on a Strip Steak.

Comment

Name:	1A3138A9-0BBE-4523-AC9A-12B33F73B31C.jpeg
Views:	172
Size:	141.1 KB
ID:	1087702

Comment

Originally posted by Matt Bykowski View Post
          Anyone have a review? I'm curious about it, but having a hard time pulling the trigger on $40+ for a few seasonings. Thanks.
          Mine just came, and I did a finger touch test. They are all fairly close analogues of the recipes here on AR, with added salt. and, in the case of the Red Meat and Pork rubs, smoke flavor. In the case of the Poultry Seasoning, I prefer it to my home made version by a wide margin. The others are about the same. As far as my preference, I mean.

I’m not freaking about included salt. I’ve often salted right before smoking or grilling. And I’ve also often added the salt and the rub the night before smoking or grilling. The difference between either of those and the recommended “salt the night before, rub at time of cooking” is nuance. The food is going to come out really good regardless.

I can take or leave the added smoke, but I can see how it will help sell product. And if you are doing ribs in the oven, or pulled pork in the crock pot, these will get you where you want to go.

Regarding the size/cost, these are the larger bottles, 9.7/10.3/10.8 oz. That’s about 3x the size of a typical spice jar.

Attached Files

Comment

• Matt Bykowski
            Matt Bykowski commented
            Editing a comment
            Thanks for sharing your thoughts.

@gilbertpilz Two really good reasons they have salt. There isn't enough room on the label to explain to the average consumer why salt should go on in advance and that the rest of the stuff can go on at any time. And salt is cheap. If we left out the salt they would be the most expensive rubs in the world and nobody would buy them. We are hoping that people will love these bottled versions, discover the website, and perhaps experiment with making their own.
          Last edited by Meathead; September 10, 2021, 02:44 PM.

Comment

• Matt Bykowski
            Matt Bykowski commented
            Editing a comment
            Makes a lot of sense. Just picked up the Pork from Barbeque Supply Company in Greendale, WI. When you are comfortable with getting out more, please consider doing a book signing there. Can't wait to do a cook with the rub. Cheers!

We got the comments section added to the bottom of the page with info about the rubs. If you have tried them and would like to share your impressions (good or bad) please feel free here https://amazingribs.com/flavor

Comment

About the pricing: BBQSpot.com is the manufacturer's site. They cannot undercut retailer prices or no stores would buy. As they get into wider distribution late this year, you will probably see lower prices in stores and websites.

Comment

About MSG (a.k.a. Monosodium Glutamate, a.k.a. Glutamic Acid). I absolutely LOVE what MSG does to meats! But it is NOT in our rubs.

We considered adding it but decided not to because people are scared of it, unreasonably I think. MSG is glutamic acid, an amino acid, and it is naturally present in our bodies. MSG occurs in nature in many foods, among them tomatoes, cheeses, and mushrooms. Doritos, Pringles, and Campbell's Chicken Noodle Soup are loaded with MSG so if you can eat them, but you think you can't eat MSG, think again.

It is an amino acid that is a natural flavor enhancer as well as a natural byproduct of some aging and fermentation processes. Some people believe that MSG can cause headaches, but scientists have had no luck proving the connection in controlled tests. I have not yet seen a definitive peer reviewed scientific study on the subject, and that is the gold standard. A lot of people say it causes them headaches, but when they are brought into a lab and fed meals with MSG or a placebo, there is no connection. The eminent food writer Jeffrey Steingarten debunked “Chinese restaurant syndrome” in a famous essay “Why Doesn’t Everyone in China Have a Headache?”

Here is what science and FDA say about it and the labeling laws
              https://www.fda.gov/food/food-additi...-glutamate-msg

Comment

• Mosca
                Mosca commented
                Editing a comment
                So that raises a question: should we be adding MSG to our ribs?

Or: should I phrase the question “How much MSG should we be adding to our ribs?”

• Meathead
                Meathead commented
                Editing a comment
                Mosca Yes! Sprinkle it on generously on half and taste a bone from each half. Or do two steaks, one with and one without.

• RichieB
                RichieB commented
                Editing a comment
                I read this post and other info on MSG including the FDA's write up that Meathead shared. Ordered a bottle. Figure a $3 experiment is worth it. Came today. So, I'm thinking of starting with burgers. Remember I'm cheap so no steak yet. 2 burgers one with & one without. I know M.H. told Mosca "generously" add. My question is there a rule of thumb similar to dry brining where x amount per pound of meat? Also, other than protein anything else it could be applied to? Thanks

A quick note. My wife did shaved steak with peppers and onions. No spices. That's just her. I added a fair amount of the Beef seasoing. Some white cheese on a sub roll. Must say, impressed with the flavor. Tommorow will be doing a Strip Steak. Sunday Pork Chops. I'm optimistic positive vibes coming.

Comment

• Meathead
                Meathead commented
                Editing a comment
                I have ALWAYS been a salt only guy, MAYBE a little pepper. This Red rub is awesome. My wife won't let me grill a steak without it.

• RichieB
                RichieB commented
                Editing a comment
                Meathead you nailed it.

• RichieB
                RichieB commented
                Editing a comment
                Literally just finished the strip steak. Wow! I'll post pictures on the right channel.

Announcement

Collapse
            No announcement yet.
            Working...
            X
            false
            ["pitmaster-my-membership","login","join-pitmaster","lostpw","reset-password","special-offers","help","nojs","meat-ups","gifts","authaau-alpha","ebooklogin-start","alpha","start"]
            false
            false
            {"count":0,"link":"/forum/announcements/","debug":""}
            Yes
            Rubs Promo