Welcome!

This is a membership forum. Guests can view 5 pages for free. To participate, please join.

[ Pitmaster Club Information | Join Now | Login | Contact Us ]

Only 4 free page views remaining.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Spammers here in The Pit

Collapse
This topic is closed.
X
This is a sticky topic.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Donw
    commented on 's reply
    I asked this awhile back and Ray told us that it wasn’t possible because of how the site was originally set up.

• GolfGeezer
    replied
    I just reread this post and did not realize that it is not helpful to Flag a post if there are no links. I did some Flagging this morning before rereading this thread.

I think most of us fairly active folks recognize the behavior, so we're just trying to minimize the seemingly obvious abusers - multiple Reply's to older threads with apparently non-sensical, brief comments. They seem even more obvious when you look at Recent Posts and see a bunch from the same Trial Member on multiple threads within a very brief spam of time. Well, except for Panhead John.

Leave a comment:

• glitchy
    replied
    Why are trial members even allowed to post links? Is it really necessary to get the full experience before committing to buy a membership? It seems like it would save a lot of mod work monitoring them and reduce risks for the entire Pit community. I might be missing something, but don’t see why that restriction would deter anyone from joining, but it sure could cut down on spammers even bothering to walk through the front door.

Leave a comment:

• Bkhuna
    commented on 's reply
    My favorite is Lobster thermidor aux crevettes with a Mornay sauce garnished with truffle pâté, brandy and with a fried egg on top and spam.

• DavidNorcross
    replied
    Thanks. I have flagged a number thinking that was a help. For now, I think the best approach is to do nothing. Based upon what i read here, you folks have it under control which is no surprise.

Leave a comment:

• Panhead John
    commented on 's reply
    Thanks for the clarification Huskee. I wasn’t aware they weren’t spammers until they post a link. I’ve been as guilty as anyone about making remarks to them. I will stop with my comments and only flag it if it has a link.

• Huskee
    replied
    Thank you for being proactive, but please don't flag what are only suspicious posts. We got about 20 flags today that weren't spam. Only suspicious.

Spammers aren't spammers until they are spammers. Posting a spam link makes them a spammer. Please don't make rude or sarcastic comments to potential spammers. They are also potential legit members until they prove themselves to be spammers. Thank you for being proactive, but let's reserve flags for actual spam not suspicions.

I'd like to repeat the last 2 paragraphs form the post above:

I get email reports hourly of Free Trial members who post links. Even if they've edited their earlier posts to add a link later on, I still get notified. So I try my best to stay on top of it. Of course I can't always be online, so sometimes it may take hours to the point that it looks like we've missed it. If I can't be online, Jerod, Spinaker & Meathead will often see them and delete them.

Lastly, calling out a potential spammer with rude or sarcastic comments to them might not be the best thing to do. Sure, it's usually true if it smells fishy then it's a fish...but perhaps someone with broken English will join as a legitimate Trial Member and wants to say hi. Automatically suspecting they're a spammer, and telling them so, might not be a very warm welcome if they are here for real. If they are a spammer, then they really couldn't care less what you say to them so it's moot anyway.

Leave a comment:

• Spinaker
    commented on 's reply
    I am also a SPAMer. Love the stuff, grew up on it and still eat it.

• Steve B
    commented on 's reply
    Oh boy. Do you know what you have done?
    You might just have unleashed the beast.
    I’m not conjuring him up but???
    Spinaker 😬😳😁😂

• ofelles
    commented on 's reply
    bbqLuv have you told STEbbq about this yet?
    Last edited by ofelles; July 29, 2021, 03:20 PM.

• Huskee
    commented on 's reply
    You can flag them if you want but it's not necessary, assuming the email system continues to work and notify me. Definitely flag other posts that need admin attention.

• Huskee
    commented on 's reply
    I actually like Spam too.

• CaptainMike
    commented on 's reply
    You'll only know if you go!

• Panhead John
    commented on 's reply
    There’s 3 things I’ll never forget as long as I live. 1. Synodog’s flaming grill picture he posted at SUWYC the spoof channel 2. ecowper ‘s infamous What Do You Put In Your Chili post from last winter and
    3. Richard Chrz ‘s supposed "Steak" picture.

• Panhead John
    commented on 's reply
    Even a spammer wouldn’t post some of the crap I do.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.
Working...
X
false
["pitmaster-my-membership","login","join-pitmaster","lostpw","reset-password","special-offers","help","nojs","meat-ups","gifts","authaau-alpha","ebooklogin-start","alpha","start"]
false
false
{"count":0,"link":"/forum/announcements/","debug":""}
Yes
["\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1157845-paid-members-download-your-6-deep-dive-guide-ebooks-for-free-here","\/forum\/the-pitcast","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2019-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2020-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2021-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2022-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2023-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2024-issues","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here"]
/forum/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here