Welcome!

This is a membership forum. Guests can view 5 pages for free. To participate, please join.

[ Pitmaster Club Information | Join Now | Login | Contact Us ]

Only 4 free page views remaining.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Spammers here in The Pit

Collapse
This topic is closed.
X
This is a sticky topic.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• glitchy
    commented on 's reply
    Panhead John What would you think if you hadn’t salted your coffee yet and didn’t notice the link you just followed was from a trail member and infected your PC? I don’t see the harm in having one minor feature be a paid only thing when it’s a target for spammers to exploit for free. AND I’m not saying that trial members are malicious, but it’s hard to wade out the real from the not and the fee seems to keep the not from sticking around.
    Last edited by glitchy; August 4, 2021, 08:44 PM.

• glitchy
    commented on 's reply
    you can probably use words like "Hey check out PJ’s Fine Paper Products on Amazon" or Google Oklahoma Joe Bronco. Legitimate shares aren’t to hard to find with a hint and a helpful paid member would probably swoop in and reply with a link in a comment, cuz that’s how we roll here.

• glitchy
    commented on 's reply
    Panhead John You’re only a trial member for 30 days, if you can’t wait 30 days to share links, somethings wrong. Plus, if you’re that excited to share you can just sign up because you’re probably liking the place and want to stick around. If you weigh the number of trial members that post SPAM links vs those that post links during their trial period and stick around, I think the inconvenience would be pretty minor. As well, if you’re legitimate and trying to share something exciting elsewhere…

• Panhead John
    commented on 's reply
    Continued….I’m just going to stop even responding to any of these a hole spammers. Like Huskee said, we’re not gonna affect what they do one way or the other. They are so common to our site now, everyone here is usually able to spot them a mile off. Let’s ignore them with no comments and let our mods do their job. Just my 2 cents.

• Panhead John
    commented on 's reply
    Sorry glitchy but, what if a new member comes in and wants to show us a new product or something they’re using? He or she might be wanting to direct us there and share it with us. We really can’t put a stop to that just because they’re a trial member. We’ve all posted links to other sites before. If I was a trial member, and wanted to share a link to my new cooker I just bought, who are y’all to deny me of that. Honestly, our moderators do an excellent job of weeding the spammers out.
    Last edited by Panhead John; August 4, 2021, 08:26 PM.

• glitchy
    commented on 's reply
    big_mack "post links", with links being the emphasis :-) We definitely want people to come in and chat (post), hang out, get info, have a great time, and hopefully stick around. I’m only suggesting that trial members don’t need to be able to direct people to other web sites.

• big_mack
    commented on 's reply
    New member. Very new. I would not have joined if I could not post first. the first post gave me a good sense of the nature of the pit and the people that make it go. it contributed to me joining.

• Huskee
    commented on 's reply
    They're likely planting seeds to come back and add their link to their posts, we're well aware. Until then they're not termites, they're breaking no rules until they spam.

• Michael_in_TX
    commented on 's reply
    As an information security professional, I have scanned the above link with the most sophisticated anti-malware/anti-phishing technology available and can confirm it is safe to eat, as long as the internal temperature has reached 165 F.

• GolfGeezer
    commented on 's reply
    Donw Yup, well said.

• gcdmd
    replied
    Here's a link for you. Send me your PayPal email and password if you're interested in more. Click image for larger version  Name:	Sausage Link.jpg Views:	9 Size:	19.1 KB ID:	1072454

Leave a comment:

• glitchy
    commented on 's reply
    Donw I'm not a web developer, but I would sure think that when you click the post button there are some sort of validations, edits, hooks, available to customize it. I'm not saying I don't believe what Ray told you before, just seems weird that a platform like this wouldn't allow for that kind of customization.

• gcdmd
    commented on 's reply
    Link, please.

• SavageSmoke
    replied
    I lovee barbq. Also, my records show that your automobile is about to be out of warranty

Leave a comment:

• Donw
    commented on 's reply
    I understand the management’s viewpoint too but in real life if I saw termites spreading across my foundation I personally would not wait until they started burrowing into the wood to take action.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.
Working...
X
false
["pitmaster-my-membership","login","join-pitmaster","lostpw","reset-password","special-offers","help","nojs","meat-ups","gifts","authaau-alpha","ebooklogin-start","alpha","start"]
false
false
{"count":0,"link":"/forum/announcements/","debug":""}
Yes
["\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1157845-paid-members-download-your-6-deep-dive-guide-ebooks-for-free-here","\/forum\/the-pitcast","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2019-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2020-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2021-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2022-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2023-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2024-issues","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here"]
/forum/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here