Welcome!

This is a membership forum. Guests can view 5 pages for free. To participate, please join.

[ Pitmaster Club Information | Join Now | Login | Contact Us ]

Only 4 free page views remaining.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Use zipper bags with your vac sealer.

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Use zipper bags with your vac sealer.

I haven't tried this yet, but thought some here might like this:

Do they get paid by the word or something?

Comment

Here's another option if you don't have a vacuum sealer with that attachment.

Comment

I tried the method using inserts made from the textured side of FoodSaver bags. It did work but the vacuum did not hold over time. I think the heat sealers on my Foodsaver 3240 don't put out enough heat for a proper long term seal. And a final note, make the inserts long enough so that they are easily identified and removed upon opening - unexpectedly chewing on a piece of plastic film is not pleasant.

Comment

Ziplock type bags aren't designed to hold a vacuum. Heck, I can't even count on 'em to be liquid tight -- they all too often will leak at the side seams. So there's no way they can stay vacuum tight for more than a very short time.

I buy plain vac bags and zipper-seal vac bags from these folks - https://www.touchofhomefoods.com/zip...for_home_.html The only time these bags leak is from user error -- a wrinkle in the seal or a pinhole from a sharp bone.

Comment

• fzxdoc
            fzxdoc commented
            Editing a comment
            IowaGirl Why are these VacMaster rolls more expensive compared to other vendors? Is there a design difference in the bag/roll? What exactly is a "full mesh" bag? The rolls I use have a smooth side and a textured side. Is that the same as "full mesh"?

I'm still using FoodSaver bags until I use up my inventory but am looking toward a future purchase.

Price comparison for two VacMaster 11.5x20 foot rolls: Touch of Home--$23.80; Walton's--$12.99

Thanks in advance,
            Kathryn

• IowaGirl
            IowaGirl commented
            Editing a comment
            fzxdoc -- I don't use rolls, and I've never used any Foodmaster products, so I can't tell you why there's a price difference.

As far as the "full mesh" thing -- The company has sold (maybe still does sell) bags and rolls with a strip of textured plastic on one side of the bag as an air channel. Their full mesh bags have one fully textured side and one smooth side, probably similar to your Foodsaver. I've used both and don't have a preference -- they both work fine.

• fzxdoc
            fzxdoc commented
            Editing a comment
            Sorry, IowaGirl, I perhaps wasn't clear. The price comparison is for VacMaster rolls from the two vendors. I was just wondering whether Touch of Home bags/rolls had something extra that accounted for the price difference. Sounds like they're comparable in content, though. Thanks.

Kathryn

I braved Walmart today to pick up four rolls of vac-plastic, then to the butcher for wibs, tritip, butt, filet, pork chops, & wibeye......I'm wooped, time for a drink and head over to "what are you drinking right now"

Comment

I've taken to buying the rolls of 8" and 11" vac seal material and cutting it to size. Works well for the times when I need to seal in 1 pork chop and then a bigger chuck roast.

On ziplock bags... The Freezer bags are made to be more impervious to air than the regular bags, I've read.

Comment

I gave up on the foodsaver option. They just weren’t lasting long enough. So I bit the bullet and got me a chamber vac. Best purchase ever. Don’t have to use the textured bags, and this brings the price/bag way down. Especially when you buy a couple thousand at a whack. Of course, one could buy a lot of foodsaver machines for what one commercial chamber vacuum packer costs. But the experiences of having them fail in the middle of packing 300 lb of tuna loins or 50 lb of smoked cheese, or other bulk packing operations caused me to throw in the towel in surrender. The initial outlay was painful, but with a little TLC and a bit of maintenance, my kids’ kids will still be using it.

Comment

• pkadare
                pkadare commented
                Editing a comment
                Glad you found something that works for you. In Foodsaver's defense, I really don't think that a product intended for home use should be expected to stand up to sealing 300 lbs of anything all at once.

• Tom Morton
                Tom Morton commented
                Editing a comment
                Agreed pkadare. I used the Foodsavers pretty hard, but not for everyday use. The Sammic gets used almost daily now, and doesn’t break a sweat on the big jobs. Bought a nice little cart off of Amazon to set it up on, and it has become one of the most used appliances in the kitchen. The amount of food we waste has significantly dropped too, as leftovers get vacuumed and tossed in the freezer. I love that thing.
                Last edited by Tom Morton; April 24, 2020, 11:31 PM. Reason: Typo

Announcement

Collapse
            No announcement yet.
            Working...
            X
            false
            ["pitmaster-my-membership","login","join-pitmaster","lostpw","reset-password","special-offers","help","nojs","meat-ups","gifts","authaau-alpha","ebooklogin-start","alpha","start"]
            false
            false
            {"count":0,"link":"/forum/announcements/","debug":""}
            Yes
            ["\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1157845-paid-members-download-your-6-deep-dive-guide-ebooks-for-free-here","\/forum\/the-pitcast","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2019-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2020-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2021-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2022-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2023-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2024-issues","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here"]
            /forum/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here