Welcome!

This is a membership forum. Guests can view 5 pages for free. To participate, please join.

[ Pitmaster Club Information | Join Now | Login | Contact Us ]

Only 4 free page views remaining.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Best vacuum sealer under $150?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

So I was in Costco yesterday and I just went ahead and got another Foodsaver because I need to use it tomorrow. Model VS3180; $149. I went to register it today and the model number wouldn’t come up on the Foodsaver site, so I called. Discontinued model. They registered it for me and said they will stand by the 5 year warranty, so we will see how it goes. I am a little pissed that I paid full price for a discontinued model, but not pissed enough to box it up and take it back. Yet.

Comment

• Panhead John
      Panhead John commented
      Editing a comment
      At least buying it from Costco you know they’re great with returns and you won’t have to box it up and ship it off somewhere.

Lots of good info in this and other threads in this section! Also looking to get a sealer for storing leftovers and meats, and of course for sous vide. Important features for me are storing a roll of bags in the unit, a built-in cutter, and a moist mode. I also strongly prefer physical buttons to "chiclets" beneath plastic surfaces. So I'm probably going to have to spend at least $100 and maybe up to $150.

The Wirecutter group at NYT gives top marks to the Anova Precision Pro, which happily hits all my marks at $149. I've seen some comments about Anova sealers to the effect that they're relatively new to that market, so I'd be curious if anyone's got any feedback there. And of course any other opinions you might care to offer (as if I could stop you!)...

Comment

• rickgregory
      rickgregory commented
      Editing a comment
      The Nesco I commented about still works fine for me and my early impressions are still accurate. I'd look at the Avid Armor too.

Been rocking this one from MEAT for over a year and still love it.

Comment

• DaveD
      DaveD commented
      Editing a comment
      Hey, that looks pretty good, hits all my desirements. And substantially less $ than the Anova Pro. Thanks!
      Last edited by DaveD; July 8, 2022, 05:12 AM.

Big fan of Avid Armor here.

Comment

• Draznnl
      Draznnl commented
      Editing a comment
      Me too.

Originally posted by Santamarina View Post
    Been rocking this one from MEAT for over a year and still love it.

https://www.meatyourmaker.com/preser...5.html#start=1
    This does look like an excellent unit. The one feature it lacks that a lot of sealer reviews advocate for is a "pulse" mode to allow sealing of stuff that might be a little more fragile. Honestly, I don't envision a lot of need for that, but I'm wondering if you have found that not having that feature is any kind of impediment? Thanks!

Comment

• Santamarina
      Santamarina commented
      Editing a comment
      It has separate buttons for vacuum and seal (so you can do seal only on bottom of bag). Vacuum button will auto seal once air is out, but if you hit the seal button sooner it will seal then. Fragile items spared!

• rickgregory
      rickgregory commented
      Editing a comment
      The Nesco I have does separate seal and vacuum like that and it's a really nice feature. For one, it means you can make custom bag sizes from the rolls which is much cheaper and more convenient.

Everyone beat me to it. The top units are the Anova, Avid Armor, and MeatYourMaker. That is the same short list as mine when the need arises for one.

Comment

Anybody have an opinion on Primal Tek, looks like they mostly make more expensive models, but they have one at $99 on Amazon and they seem to review pretty well.

Comment

Couple of things.... 1) here's The Wirecutter's review of sealers https://www.nytimes.com/wirecutter/r...vacuum-sealer/ and 2) I'd wait a few days and see if Amazon's Prime Days event drops the price on anything before buying.

Comment

I went ahead with the Meat Your Maker unit that Santamarina pointed to above, just can't touch that feature set at that price anywhere else, and it has my musts (roller storage, physical buttons, moist mode, built-in cutter). Thanks for that tip! (MYM does only direct sales, can't get their stuff anywhere else, so Amazon Day wouldn't apply on this one.)

Comment

Announcement

Collapse
          No announcement yet.
          Working...
          X
          false
          ["pitmaster-my-membership","login","join-pitmaster","lostpw","reset-password","special-offers","help","nojs","meat-ups","gifts","authaau-alpha","ebooklogin-start","alpha","start"]
          false
          false
          {"count":0,"link":"/forum/announcements/","debug":""}
          Yes
          ["\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1157845-paid-members-download-your-6-deep-dive-guide-ebooks-for-free-here","\/forum\/the-pitcast","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2019-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2020-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2021-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2022-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2023-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2024-issues","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here"]
          /forum/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here