Welcome!

This is a membership forum. Guests can view 5 pages for free. To participate, please join.

[ Pitmaster Club Information | Join Now | Login | Contact Us ]

Only 4 free page views remaining.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Fed Up With FoodSaver Vacuum Sealers

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

I want to thank Kathryn for starting this thread and for her opinions as well as all the fine folks who contributed their 2 cents. I've had 2 Food Savers and both were disappointing but in different ways. The first one would not shut off and seal, you had to gauge the vacuum amount then press the "seal" button. The most recent one was hit and miss with the sealing part. Wasted a lot of plastic with that one.

From this thread, we purshcased the VacMasterPro 350 and just used it for the first time. What a difference! No muss, no fuss. Just a reliable product that doesn't take a workaround to achieve what it is intended to do in the first place. We'll see if it keeps working this well but so far, very happy.

Comment

• ComfortablyNumb
      ComfortablyNumb commented
      Editing a comment
      Fontana, eh? I may have mentioned it before, my parents lived in Lytle Creek for years and shopped at the Stater Bros. on Summit. My father was somewhat of a legend there.

Good on you for the Vacmaster, I'm sure you'll continue to be pleased. I've had mine for about three years now and it hasn't missed a beat. Just now finishing up my first case of 1000 bags.

• Uncle Bob
      Uncle Bob commented
      Editing a comment
      Fontana; I still marvel that the steel mill I toured many moons ago is now a race track.

OP, congrats on the upgrade, you have a lot of company.

• HouseHomey
      HouseHomey commented
      Editing a comment
      Legend... Like father like son. Haven’t been north of the 60 in a long while now. Staying in my beach box unless going to my parents in Santa Ana. Actually I’m rarely north of the 405. That’s a bit more accurate.

I agree. This has been one of the best threads for me

Comment

I'm glad we have The Pit where we can share and learn things like this.

scottingaround , my Vacmaster Pro 350 is still going strong, and I use it several times a week. It's such a serious piece of equipment when compared any of those FoodSaver vac sealers that I patiently went through until that patience finally ran out. I certainly don't regret going the Vacmaster route.

Kathryn

Comment

• HouseHomey
        HouseHomey commented
        Editing a comment
        Actually I would just like to thank Kathryn for being alive. Can we all just take a minute to do that??
        😃😃

• fzxdoc
        fzxdoc commented
        Editing a comment
        Awwww. I'm touched. Backatcha, big guy.

Kathryn

I have a Foodsaver 2440. If I try to do too much too fast, it won't do it. Get a blinking light. Which is every time. I only pull it out to save in bulk, that takes time. I just slow down, not a big deal, but are there others that don't do this?

Comment

• ComfortablyNumb
        Editing a comment
        Overheating. I got an oil pump chamber sealer so that won't happen. Slow down or take breaks.

Just got an email from VacMaster. The 350 and 380 models are currently on sale for 30% off.

Shop now for food vacuum packaging solutions. Keep food and leftovers fresh longer with our home vacuum sealers. Low Prices. Fast Shipping. Shop Now.

Get them while you can!

Comment

• ComfortablyNumb
        Editing a comment
        Get them all and store them next to the 500 rolls of toilet paper! ;-)

That's a good price, badf00d . I paid $299 for my VacMaster Pro 350 through Amazon but I see today that Amazon's price is $399 for exactly the same thing.

Kathryn

Comment

Just what I was waiting for! Thanks. VM350 on its way. BTW, there's another 10% for new customers, and free shipping.

Comment

Wow, that comes to $258.29. If I didn't already own a VacMaster Pro 350, I'd jump on that--additional discount and free shipping. Not bad at all.

You're going to love using that VacMaster Pro, Dick Anderson . It's a big step up from FoodSaver.

Kathryn

Comment

• fzxdoc
            fzxdoc commented
            Editing a comment
            They sure can, bep35 . I'm still working my way through my stock of FS rolls.

Kathryn

• bep35
            bep35 commented
            Editing a comment
            VacMaster Pro 350 ordered. $258.29. Great price.

Kathryn, where will you be buying your bags after using up the supply of Food
            Saver bags? Always looking for the best price and no one researches like you do!

• Razor
            Razor commented
            Editing a comment
            I have a functional Food Saver. I want this so bad, but I don't need it now. I know it will die as soon as the sale is over. 😂

I have such a deep stockpile that it will be a while before ordering, bep35 . I'll be researching the best one that comes on a roll and is super food safe at higher temperatures, even though the vast majority of my VMP 350's use is for freezer storage. Just looking for versatility. I'll let you know.

Kathryn
          Last edited by fzxdoc; March 20, 2020, 08:58 AM.

Comment

• bep35
            bep35 commented
            Editing a comment
            Question. When using Foodsaver bags in my new Vacmaster 350 it sometimes goes to 18 vacuum and just sits there. I can't get it to go to 23 for the sealing process to automatically kick in. I read on the internet that this can be a result of the Foodsaver bags having a rougher texture on one side vs. Vacmaster bags. Have you experienced this phenomenon when you use Foodsaver bags and if so do you have any tips on how to get around it? Thanks!

I've had this happen before, bep35 . Sometimes I just go ahead and manually seal the bag at 18mm Hg, especially if it contains a lot of liquid.

I have figured out the problem may be that the bag is pushed too far into the chamber closer to the far edge of the drip tray or that the lips of the bag are stuck together before inserting. So if this happens, I remove the bag, run my finger around the inside of the opening, flip it over (this sometimes works) and try again. It almost always goes up to 27.5 mm Hg.

I've only ever used FoodSaver Gamesaver bags in my Vacmaster 350 because I'm using up my back stock, bought on sale back when I was still using the FoodSaver vacuum unit. After that, I'll have to research for a good food safe bag hopefully made in the USA.

Kathryn
          Last edited by fzxdoc; April 17, 2020, 09:00 AM.

Comment

I must be lucky. I use mine at least twice a week for over 2 years and love it. I always use moist option vac and manual seal. I just put up 4 packs of ham thinking how much I like it.

Comment

Just pulled our FoodSaver 2440 out of the high cabinet where its sat for at least 10 years, and it still works! Lucky Lucky!

Comment

My Foodsaver I got from Costco ~3 years ago has really been struggling the past few weeks. It takes about 5 or 6 tries to get it to vacuum properly. So based on this thread and spending way too much time looking at Youtube videos of vacuum sealers I just pulled the trigger on a Vacmaster 380. What I really wanted was the Weston 3500 but wasn't able to find any for sale. Can't wait to put it to use!

Comment

• nikolausp
                  nikolausp commented
                  Editing a comment
                  I just got a Weston 3500 delivered from Amazon. Looking forward to trying it out.

So awhile back i purchased an Anova, its a basic sealer but its small and does the job. If your patient you can find it onsale.

Comment

• fzxdoc
                  fzxdoc commented
                  Editing a comment
                  I bought one of these in January for my daughter. She doesn't use it all that often, but so far it's working fine.

Kathryn

I used to have a FS, but when I sat down to think about it, most of the money I was saving by buying larger packages of meat was being taken up by cost of the bags. Ultimately, I bought a chamber vacuum sealer and its just plain awesome. I have the AvidArmor USV32 https://avidarmor.com/chamber-vacuum-sealers/ and I have nothing but good things to say about it. For bags, I can buy 250 bags for what 20 FoodSaver bags would cost. As a bonus, it seals 7mm mylar bags, and if you're the type who likes to use Mason Jars, I can seal a 1 qt. mason jar. It is expensive - $600, but well worth the extra money. Don't buy it from Amazon, though - buy it directly from them. I got it in only 3 days with their free shipping option (shipped from KS to GA), and I didn't have to pay sales tax like I would have on Amazon.

Comment

• fzxdoc
                  fzxdoc commented
                  Editing a comment
                  What's the largest bag your chamber sealer can seal?

• prepperjack
                  prepperjack commented
                  Editing a comment
                  The largest bag it will seal is 12" x 14"

Announcement

Collapse
              No announcement yet.
              Working...
              X
              false
              ["pitmaster-my-membership","login","join-pitmaster","lostpw","reset-password","special-offers","help","nojs","meat-ups","gifts","authaau-alpha","ebooklogin-start","alpha","start"]
              false
              false
              {"count":0,"link":"/forum/announcements/","debug":""}
              Yes
              ["\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1157845-paid-members-download-your-6-deep-dive-guide-ebooks-for-free-here","\/forum\/the-pitcast","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2019-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2020-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2021-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2022-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2023-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2024-issues","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here"]
              /forum/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here