Welcome!

This is a membership forum. Guests can view 5 pages for free. To participate, please join.

[ Pitmaster Club Information | Join Now | Login | Contact Us ]

Only 4 free page views remaining.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Fed Up With FoodSaver Vacuum Sealers

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

You and I must be in parallel universes, Randy-Phx . In my experience, the (many) FoodSavers I had were all pieces of doo-doo except for the original one, purchased back in the early millenium . It died in its teens. I got sick of replacing all the replacements and got the VacMaster Pro 350, which so far works well. I did buy an extended warranty for it though, since there were so many reports of poor performance peppered in with the abundance of "this unit is awesome" reports. It was a mixed bag of reviews, which led me to believe that you either get a good one or you don't. A crapshoot. Fingers crossed that mine continues to work well.

Kathryn
    Last edited by fzxdoc; November 19, 2019, 04:06 PM.

Comment

• randy56
      randy56 commented
      Editing a comment
      I wish mine would have worked, Like I said must have been a Lemon. It was your review that made me get it. I had worked with on the phone a tech guy for about 30 minute's to try and solve my problems with it. They were very helpful, to try and solve my problems with it. Then we both agreed I should return it. The offered to replace it. But by then frustration had set in.

• fzxdoc
      fzxdoc commented
      Editing a comment
      Well, I don't blame you, randy56 . It's frustrating to have an item not work right out of the box. That's what happened to me with my 3rd replacement FoodSaver in just over a year. Sooner or later, your patience with shoddy equipment just runs its limit.

Kathryn

My ziplock sealer is still going strong after years of heavy use. Did 70 lbs of pulled pork last weekend. Maybe I just got a good one.

Comment

Anova is making a vacuum sealer now. My FoodSaver just quit working today and with SmokeFire preorders soon I just ordered one of these as I cannot justify a Vacmaster right now, nor give up the space on the counter. Looks like a special price right now, maybe.

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0...?ie=UTF8&psc=1

Comment

• glitchy
        glitchy commented
        Editing a comment
        I’ve only used it a couple times so far, my vac sealing is pretty streaky. It seems just fine though. I really like the pulse vac and think I’ll use that a lot over time. It’s a little different than the food savers in that the lid snaps into locks, but has a release on each side. Nothing is wrong with that, just different.

• Andrrr
        Andrrr commented
        Editing a comment
        Is Anova still working for you? Any buyers remorse? Who’d have thunk getting a vac sealer for a reasonable price would be so problematic?

• glitchy
        glitchy commented
        Editing a comment
        Andrrr Still great so far. I’ve probably only done 20-30 bags yet, but absolutely no complaints.
        Last edited by glitchy; January 27, 2020, 11:11 PM.

Still using my Foodsaver. Going on 3 years now.

Comment

• Skip
        Skip commented
        Editing a comment
        I'm still on my first Foodsaver that's 4-5 years old. Be sure to let us know how you like the Anova glitchy.

• fzxdoc
        fzxdoc commented
        Editing a comment
        Yeah, the old FoodSavers were sturdy workhorses. I was so sad when mine died and I went through a very unreliable series of a replacement and then replacements for that replacement.

Kathryn

• Thunder77
        Thunder77 commented
        Editing a comment
        My foodsaver has a moist setting also

My little FS-V2450 has been working fine for many years... Yes, I've learned a few things about maintenance and storage of the unit.
      Never leave the lock handle down when storing the machine - or else it will wreck your gaskets, which I had to replace them.
      The gaskets should be removed and cleaned on a regular basis. The canisters are fantastic for marinading meats! Two hours under
      vacuum is like overnight in a ziplock bag. Veggies in the long canister will stay fresh for weeks instead of days in the crisper.

That said, I very well may get a Chamber Vacuum to handle larger items, e.g., a 20lb turkey for sous vide! (@SousVideEverything).

Click image for larger version

Name:	FS-V2450.jpg
Views:	2549
Size:	34.4 KB
ID:	772954

Comment

Do folks on this thread primarily use your vacuum sealer for sous vide or for general long term storage? I got an Anova device for Christmas and now need to buy a vacuum sealer. Thanks all in advance.

Comment

Originally posted by Bobmcgahan View Post
          Do folks on this thread primarily use your vacuum sealer for sous vide or for general long term storage? I got an Anova device for Christmas and now need to buy a vacuum sealer. Thanks all in advance.
          Long term, short term, and sous vide. Anything that fits in a bag gets vacuum sealed, meat, vegetables, and, since I have a chamber sealer, liquids and powders. After long term in the freezer, they continue to reside in the bag in the refrigerator. So, for example, bacon gets taken out of the freezer, thawed, and sliced. The slices are then stored into a couple of bags and sealed. When I use it, I take out what I need and reseal. Burger gets divided into 1/3 pound meatballs which are stored in a bag. I reseal after taking one or two out. Same with breakfast sausage. Chops and steaks are sealed one to a bag. They don't even get thawed, right out of the freezer and into the sous vide bath, which thaws and cooks in an afternoon.

Here is the ringing endorsement. Mrs. CN balked at getting one, especially the price. Now it is one of her most beloved appliances and you could not take it away from her.

On the other hand, you don't have to get a vacuum sealer for sous vide, you can use zip lock bags and let the water squeeze out the air. But if you store lots of food (I raise and butcher hogs and chickens) and want to keep food in the refrigerator longer and cleaner (no leaks, smells) then a vacuum sealer is worth having. And if you have the money and space for a chamber, you won't regret it. Mine is heavier than sin and has a large footprint, so Mrs. CN insisted on a rolling cart so we can wheel it into a corner when not using.

Comment

• DavidNorcross
            DavidNorcross commented
            Editing a comment
            What chamber sealer do you have ? My Food Saver just died (seems to be a trend)....

You absolutely don’t need a vacuum sealer for sous vide. Ziplock bags work just fine below temps of 158deg. Above that temp, sous vide bags from Amazon work great.

But, as Comfortably Numb says, if you happen to have a vac sealer, you will end up using it both for sous vide and for long term frozen food storage as well.

Kathryn

Comment

DavidNorcross I have a Vacmaster VP215, I got it and the cart at Webstaurantstore.

Click image for larger version  Name:	83FD87E5-624A-4EC4-BB55-78B464D45E07.jpeg Views:	2 Size:	2.79 MB ID:	784848
            Last edited by ComfortablyNumb; December 29, 2019, 07:34 PM. Reason: add link

Comment

• fzxdoc
              fzxdoc commented
              Editing a comment
              What's the largest size bag that your beast can seal? Can it handle a packer brisket?

K.

• ComfortablyNumb
              ComfortablyNumb commented
              Editing a comment
              fzxdoc Maximum bag size is 10" x 13". However, if necessary, you can use it like an external; https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Oe51RNVr79c

• fzxdoc
              fzxdoc commented
              Editing a comment
              Thanks, ComfortablyNumb, for the additional info. I'm still happy with what I have, but if it dies, I'll definitely be looking into the type of vacuum sealer you have.

Kathryn

Watching this thread for awhile, settled on the Vacmaster 350-Pro; purchased on Amazon in December, backordered with delivery for late January. The vendor (not Vacmaster) just cancelled the order, unsure of when they would get stock. These are all backordered everywhere, including VacMaster's own web site. Vacmaster is not responding to email requests for more info, AND are not answering their phone. When I called today, it just rang and rang. Something's not quite right. Think I might try the Avid Armor. Amazon reviews are quite good, including company response to returns/repairs.

Comment

• EdF
              EdF commented
              Editing a comment
              Have you tried Webstaurant Store? https://www.webstaurantstore.com/search/vacmaster.html

• ComfortablyNumb
              Editing a comment
              EdF WS shows the 350 Pro out of stock.

• bep35
              bep35 commented
              Editing a comment
              The power of the AmazingRibs Pitmaster Club and this thread! Vacmaster sold out world wide with no idea as to when they will ever catch up!

Getting ready to pull the trigger on Avid Armour. The customer service seems great and they are a family run business with a great reputation. I have also watched this thread for a long time.

Comment

• Andrrr
              Andrrr commented
              Editing a comment
              Which one are you going with?

• DavidNorcross
              DavidNorcross commented
              Editing a comment
              https://avidarmor.com/avid-armor-12-...er-model-a100/ I have pre ordered.

• obiQsmoker
              obiQsmoker commented
              Editing a comment
              Yep - that's the one I've decided to try. Not willing to let them have my $$ until they have a product to sell though. They're backordered too - web site says mid-Feb; we'll see.

I'm still on my 1st food saver. It is 5 years old this year. (last year of warranty) Out of the box I hated the thing. But once I got the idiosyncrasies down of properly using it, I couldn't live without it. A few tricks I taught myself along the way. I used to place a weight on top of salmon in the over night cure. (recipe called for that) Now I wrap it in "stretch-tite", (Wegmans) THEN vacuum seal it. The stretch-tite protects the salmon from getting the juices sucked out of it, and the unit from getting flooded, all while producing the extreme vacuum which mimics the weight. Also. Say I'm curing a brisket to corned beef. (happen to have one in right now) To become a pastrami. I position the FS at the edge of my counter. Use the proper size stool I have to keep the quilted FS bag, containing the brisket and gallon of cure, low enough from the FS, then begin the vacuum seal. As soon as it starts, (immediately) I hit the seal button stopping the vacuum. I can now safely handle that bag and repeatedly flip it over in the fridge for the days of cure required. If one had to buy FS bags versus Amazon, forget it. You'd go bankrupt!! Just saying.

Comment

obiQsmoker , the VacMaster 380 and 350 models are still available at Walton's, although you have to call for availability for the 350, so it may be a vaporunit. Both are 720 watts, as compared to 450 watts with the Avid Armor A100.

Otherwise, the features of the Avid Armor are comparable to those of the VacMaster 380 and 350, since the Avid Armour seals to 28 mm Hg pressure. The VacMaster models also seal to 28mm Hg.

While researching my purchase, I was impressed with the Weston-Pro series, 680 to 935 watts power rating, starting at $299. Their sealing pressure is also 28mm Hg.

So far I'm really loving my VacMaster 350. It's been reliable, and I like the fact that the bag storage bin and bag cutter are integral to the unit.

Kathryn
              Last edited by fzxdoc; January 28, 2020, 07:17 AM.

Comment

fzxdoc Kathryn, you're an expensive date (so to speak), you keep fueling my MCS.

Like you after a longish liv ed first Foodsaver that served well I ended up going through a few that were unsatisfactory in more ways than just service life. A couple years ago I bought a different brand similar to the ones you and others have gone to and it works okay, and doesn't have the same annoyances as the FS. But, given that it is the same style that sucks the air out of the textured bags, it has the limitations of moisture (monkey motion hacks aside), and the cost of the bags even when a "deal" can be found. Plus, whether it's operator error on my part or "luck of the draw", there always seems to be some small level of failed seals that are an additional annoyance.

Like others, I've watched this thread while it's run and knew that a devout gizmoholic like myself would eventually succumb to the demon. Last week, thanks in part to your co-enablers here, I stepped up to a chamber vac. I went to the Webstaurant site to look at the 215 seen frequently and they also pitched an alternative that is very similar though a bit more powerful and a bit less expensive. So now I am the owner of a Vacpak-it VMC10OP, with rolling cart (thanks to ComfortablyNumb ). These things are way cool. I haven't used it a lot yet, but have been experimenting with wetter stuffs and really appreciate the ease of packaging wet goods. Just did a pork chop marinade package a few minutes ago for tonight's dinner. One of the touts that most give is the cost of bags, and they are much cheaper, though in a home environment it will realistically still take years for that to equate to a cost offset. The much quieter operation of an oil sealed vacuum pump, and the ease of product handling are much appreciated. The larger footprint, and significantly heavier bulk are offset by the cart, which works for us because we have the additional pantry space. The upshot is, if a body can justify the added cost, the benefits are so worth it.

Name:	vacpak.JPG
Views:	2398
Size:	107.2 KB
ID:	797007

Comment

• ComfortablyNumb
                  Editing a comment
                  Congratulations! I didn't see the VACPACK when I was shopping, but noticed WS started carrying their bags, which are cheaper then VM. Don't kid yourself, you will use it way more than you think, I'm about to finish my case of 1000 in two years. And not just food items, for example documents before filing away. Tip with liquids, if you see the liquid start 'boiling' and heading for the mouth of the bag, hit the stop button. Also, consider using small mason jars for spices.

• Uncle Bob
                  Uncle Bob commented
                  Editing a comment
                  ComfortablyNumb, brilliant! hadn't thought of the document sealer thing. Just printed Meathead's SV T&T chart, so it was the first victim. Not as rigid as the real deal, but very functional. Thanks.

• ComfortablyNumb
                  Editing a comment
                  Actually I was meaning like important documents you file away to protect them from moisture. If you want your chart more rigid, put some thin cardboard behind it, like a broken down cereal box. We purchase our coffee at Costco in 3# bags, I reseal the coffee in it's original bag. Air leaks back in, but it won't spill out until you take scissors to it. Another example, vac seal bacon and put in frig. Cut open, take out what you want, and reseal same bag. No leaks, no smells, and it lasts longer.

One of the other neat things I didn't mention that comes from packaging wet product is the space utilization aspect. I did a chuckie the other day with jus. I packaged a portion of it to freeze. The chamber system allows the package to be formed fairly flat in profile making it more able to stack in the freezer with none of the wasted space you typically get with other shape containers that might be necessary to pack with jus.

Name:	vakpak chuckie.JPG
Views:	2217
Size:	145.9 KB
ID:	797049

Comment

• ComfortablyNumb
                  Editing a comment
                  Yep, we smash them flat. IIRC, you are a car buff. Say you are rebuilding an engine. Coat the pushrods with oil and vac seal. No rust, no getting dirty, and keeping them all together. Nuts and bolts, any small parts can be kept clean and together. Bear in mind, sharp edges, even bone and coffee beans, can penetrate and cause an vacuum leak. I'm about to order some more bags and will get some 'bone guards', 6 mill squares you put around sharp edges. I'll update you on how they work.

Announcement

Collapse
              No announcement yet.
              Working...
              X
              false
              ["pitmaster-my-membership","login","join-pitmaster","lostpw","reset-password","special-offers","help","nojs","meat-ups","gifts","authaau-alpha","ebooklogin-start","alpha","start"]
              false
              false
              {"count":0,"link":"/forum/announcements/","debug":""}
              Yes
              ["\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1157845-paid-members-download-your-6-deep-dive-guide-ebooks-for-free-here","\/forum\/the-pitcast","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2019-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2020-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2021-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2022-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2023-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2024-issues","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here"]
              /forum/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here