Welcome!

This is a membership forum. Guests can view 5 pages for free. To participate, please join.

[ Pitmaster Club Information | Join Now | Login | Contact Us ]

Only 4 free page views remaining.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Fed Up With FoodSaver Vacuum Sealers

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Fed Up With FoodSaver Vacuum Sealers

Up until August 2017 I had a Food Saver Vacuum Sealer that lasted well over 10 years. Then I vac sealed a bag of corn cut off the cob and drowned the innerworkings by mistake. So I ordered a 5860 FoodSaver that worked great. For 7 months. FoodSaver replaced it with another 5860 that worked great. For 9 months. FoodSaver replaced it with a 5460DTC that I liked even better (lighter and smaller footprint) which worked great. For 5 months.

So in the last 20 months I've had 3 FoodSavers that couldn't last. I'm fed up. FoodSaver is sending me a full refund for my original purchase price. Yay.

I have a ton of FoodSaver GameSaver Heavy Duty (4 mil) bags that I want to use up. I use a vacuum sealer maybe twice a month at most. So a chamber sealer is not a good choice, since the added equipment cost (over a non-chambered sealer) will never be made up in bag cost savings unless my kids inherit it.

On another topic here, someone recommended the Weston Pro-1100 because of the wide (more like medical-grade) seal. I went to the Walton's Inc. website and decided to get the bit more pricey Weston Pro-2300 . It's supposed to be as close to commercial grade as it gets due to its heavy duty construction and suckability. Doesn't come with a roll holder/bag cutter feature though, which I'll have to purchase from another vendor for about $16. (The Weston Pro-1100 has a built in roll-holder/cutter.)

So before I pull the trigger on this for $400 + $16 for the roll holder/cutter, tell me I'm doing the right thing. My refund from FoodSaver is $220 so the upgrade will end up costing me about $200.

Kathryn

Good to know, as I am awaiting an order from Kohls for a Foodsaver and sealer rolls. I hope it works out, but kohls is great for returns. Had a air fryer for about a year. The coating on the basket started to come off. Took it back. Full refund, and a great discount on a replacement. Hope that doesn't happen with this.

Comment

I can’t say. but I do know I want you on my side negotiating with any company I ever want a refund from.🙂

Comment

My FoodSaver is trying to bite the dust. Granted it has done, geeeeez, can't even figure up the bags of smoked sausage alone. But I feel there are better without going to a chamber.

Comment

I rely on the SausageMaker.com for things. They are my go to. I get all of my curing salts and some specialty items from them. I just checked and they also carry the Weston line so it sounds like that is the one to get. Good luck you might want to check sausagemaker to compare prices. I know they ship free after a certain point.

Comment

• HouseHomey
          HouseHomey commented
          Editing a comment
          Love TSM!! I get my stuff too!

• fzxdoc
          fzxdoc commented
          Editing a comment
          Gosh, who wouldn't love a site named TheSausageMaker.com! I'm off to look at their prices.

Thanks!

Kathryn

• fzxdoc
          fzxdoc commented
          Editing a comment
          They only had the Weston Pro 2100 which is priced $60 more than the Pro 2300 at Walton's. Thanks for the tip, though. That's a great site.

Kathryn

My Foodsaver is still going strong after 3-4 years and use almost daily. Will be interested in following your impression of the Weston.

Comment

I own the Weston Pro 2300. Love it. Seal anywhere from 50-100 bags at a time two times or so every month. I like that it’s 15” wide. And the 6mm seal bar is amazing. I usually seal 2 6” wide bags at a time when making and selling bacon.

I also use it for curing meat. I’ve gone to mostly dry cures, and will salt rub an entire pork belly or brisket, and cut a bag out of a 15” bulk roll. Vacuum seal the entire thing and into the fridge.

Yours gonna love it. I Have had mine for right about a year and it’s going strong.

Comment

• fzxdoc
            fzxdoc commented
            Editing a comment
            Thanks for your input, Rfuilrez . I read the reviews on Amazon. 70% 5 star, 10% 1 star out of 491 ratings. Hope I'm not in the 10%.

Kathryn

I've been a long time user of the FoodSaver, but the last two have been pretty disappointing. I do lot's of sous vide and I buy meat in bulk and vacuum pack it. My current model is the v4440 and it will be the last. Not built well and the auto sealing function wastes to much of each roll. I purchased a few of their canisters and the never would hold a seal. The only accessory worth the cost are the Mason jar lid sealer and the old marinator dish.

Comment

• MsTwiggy
            MsTwiggy commented
            Editing a comment
            I agree about the marinade dish 💯🔥🔥🐿️

• SheilaAnn
            SheilaAnn commented
            Editing a comment
            MsTwiggy well hey there!!!

• MsTwiggy
            MsTwiggy commented
            Editing a comment
            Hi SheilaAnn nice to see you here! 👋🤗

Sop I guess that this is one time that you want your purchase to suck.

Please let us know how you like it. My very old Foodsaver is starting to get very loud...

Comment

My ziplock Vacbagger works great, and it's cheap. I use the offbrand bags in it.

Comment

Yeah I went chamber and have had only a few failed bags out of hundreds after three food savers (including the game saver). 700-800 seems steep but perfect every time I use it sometimes multiple times per day.

Seal ingredients for storage or pre-cooked portions of food for later use with this VacPak-It VMC10OP chamber vacuum packaging machine with a 10 1/4" seal bar. This powerful chamber vacuum packaging machine quickly seals each bag in 6 seconds or less and completely vacuums out the air in 20 to 40 seconds. This not only ensures efficiency, but a reliable, secure seal after every use. Controls are designed for ultra-simple use, with arrow buttons to increase or decrease the duration of the seal or vacuum process. The digital controls also have a bright, easy-to-read display to show the vacuum pressure. This makes the unit's performance and progress easy to monitor, as does the built-in pressure gauge. Since the lid is transparent, you can even watch the vacuum packaging process first-hand. To deliver a long-lasting product, the unit is equipped with an oil pump that's both easy to check and easy to refill as needed. It's tested for up to 200,000 cycles too, so you can be sure that the machine is a great investment for your business. The 304 series stainless steel body is an additional perk, as it won't corrode or rust from the accidental spill or leak. This particular model requires a 120V electrical connection for operation. Overall Dimensions:Width: 13"Depth: 19"Height: 11 3/8" Chamber Dimensions: Width: 11 1/4" Depth: 15 1/4" Height: 5" Seal Bar Length: 10 1/4" Capacity: 0.12 cu. ft.

Comment

I haven’t had any problems with the food saver per day, but their bags are absolutely the pits. Well before I get to the end of the roll they quit making the initial seal on the bags. No matter how I try to tighten the roll so it won’t continue to suck air it won’t. I don’t know why they seal the end of the roll.

Comment

• fzxdoc
                  fzxdoc commented
                  Editing a comment
                  Plus FoodSaver bags are soooo expensive. I used to wait for sales and buy several boxes of Gamesaver Heavy Duty rolls, which is why I have a backlog of them. I googled vacuum bags and found that the Cabela brand and the Out of Air brand are good, 4 mil, and much cheaper.

Kathryn

My FS its a no bueno any more. Jerod above "trying to bite the dust"

Yes sir!

thanks for the post on this and the Weston.

Comment

After looking at some You Tube videos while my husband was looking hangdog at me waiting for supper, I'm also considering the VacMaster Pro 380. It is not as powerful as the Weston Pro-2300 (720 watts vs. 935 watts) but it has an on board bag roll/cutter and also has an accessory port, which interests me for the Mason Jar sealing option that Bkhuna turned me on to, especially for sealing spices. Same chubby 5mm seal, which I like a lot.

$$ is burning a hole in my pocket. Virtually, since FoodSaver has yet to fork over the refund.

Kathryn

Comment

• fzxdoc
                    fzxdoc commented
                    Editing a comment
                    The reviews of these products are all mixed, EdF , and the experience of trying to return a defective-on-delivery Vacmaster 380 posted on the Webstrant site was a nightmare. Vacmaster wanted to replace the unit but Webstrant wanted Vacmaster to repair it. When the purchaser asked for a refund, Webstrant refused. Lots more drama ensued. Not a pleasant story.

Scared me off of ordering through Webstrant.

K.

• EdF
                    EdF commented
                    Editing a comment
                    Fair enough fzxdoc . I've bought through them several times without issues. But the problem is that I had no issues, so couldn't assess their customer service.

• mgaretz
                    mgaretz commented
                    Editing a comment
                    The chamber bags are cheap, it’s the quilted bags for clamshell sealers that are pricey.

I purchased an Avid Armor vacuum sealer. Stainless steel. It does not have a roll cutter. I like it just fine. I've only had it a few months.

Comment

Announcement

Collapse
                  No announcement yet.
                  Working...
                  X
                  false
                  ["pitmaster-my-membership","login","join-pitmaster","lostpw","reset-password","special-offers","help","nojs","meat-ups","gifts","authaau-alpha","ebooklogin-start","alpha","start"]
                  false
                  false
                  {"count":0,"link":"/forum/announcements/","debug":""}
                  Yes
                  ["\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1157845-paid-members-download-your-6-deep-dive-guide-ebooks-for-free-here","\/forum\/the-pitcast","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2019-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2020-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2021-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2022-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2023-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2024-issues","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here"]
                  /forum/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here