Welcome!

This is a membership forum. As a guest, you can click around a bit. View 5 pages for free. If you are a member you must log in now. If you would like to participate, please join.

[ Pitmaster Club Information | Join Now | Login | Contact Us ]

There are 4 page views remaining.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Asking for foodsaver recommendations

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Dr ROK
    commented on 's reply
    Sealing liquids is one of the main reasons I'd like to have one like this. Maybe someday when my kids are not taxing my budget anymore

• mgaretz
    commented on 's reply
    I also am having a lot of fun compressing fruits. It also works well for flash pickling. Cucumbers to pickles in 2 minutes!

• LA Pork Butt
    replied
    I have the smallest one available (I think). It works well when freezing leftovers for 2-4 people or meats in equalivant sizes, but the bags are too small for things like a Boston Butt or a Brisket.

Leave a comment:

• jlazar
    replied
    I have this model of Foodsaver and love it. Used it for pulled pork, pulled beef, brisket, ham, chicken, ribs, sausages, fatties, soups. Works well with all.

http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00...rch_detailpage

I like this brand for bags.

http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00...rch_detailpage

The quart bags or rolls are the ones we use 90% of the time. Pint bags are really too small. I wouldn't freeze that small of a portion. Would just use Ziploc instead. You need at least a roll of gallon size for large items but not used that often.

Leave a comment:

• fzxdoc
    commented on 's reply
    Thanks for the additional info, mgaretz . I'm going to work or a rationalization. I don't sous vide, but longer, safer food storage is definitely right up my alley.

• mgaretz
    commented on 's reply
    I do use it for Sous Vide, but that's not really why I bought it. I wanted to be able to vacuum seal liquids and things like it. Plus, I buy a lot of meat when it's on sale and wanted a better vacuum for longer term storage.

• fzxdoc
    replied
    Whoa baby, that's one heckuva sealer, mgaretz ! If I was a sous vide afficionado, I'd be down for something like that, though.

Kathryn

Leave a comment:

• Dr ROK
    commented on 's reply
    Jealous!

• mgaretz
    replied
    I finally bit the bullet and bought a chamber sealer. Wow! Once you get one of these there's no going back. Still have my foodsaver but haven't used it since the chamber sealer arrived. Here's the one I got: http://www.webstaurantstore.com/ary-...VMASVP112.html

Leave a comment:

• fzxdoc
    replied
    I've been looking for bags other than the Foodsaver brand because my vacuum sealed smoked sausages leak fat to the outside when stored in the freezer for a month or more. I've never seen that before.

Maybe I'll give Willy 's or Dr ROK 's suggestions a try.

Kathryn

Leave a comment:

• Dr ROK
    replied
    Found these on amazon and they are 5 ply vs most that I find that are 3 ply.

http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00...r_1_31&sr=8-31

Leave a comment:

• Willy
    replied
    Zip Loc brand has come out with bags (rolls) for the vacuum sealers. I just used it for the first time today--so no pluses or minuses to report yet, aside from the fact they seem a bit sturdier than Food Saver brand and were a bit cheaper too.

Leave a comment:

• Ninja Q
    replied
    Thought I'd throw this into the discussion. I use a Cabelas brand vaccum sealer. I believe it's a commercial or heavy duty model, all stainless steel. It's a double piston pump and works great for us. I fish a lot. During tuna season, I go through at least 100' of 11" wide bag rolls. Bluefin, yellowfin, yellowtail, duck, quail, pheasent, dove, and grocery store buys all work great. I can keep fish about as close to fresh for a year no problem in the freezer. The best price I've found for bag material is through Cabelas. I use this:http://www.cabelas.com/product/cabel...aler+bag+rolls

And the rolls work for foodsaver brand sealers just fine. About $15 for 50'. Best price I've found. When on sale, I pick up about 10 boxes for even cheaper. Just thought I'd throw this experience into the discussion...

Leave a comment:

• richinlbrg
    commented on 's reply
    Smh

• DWCowles
    replied
    Why thank you richinlbrg you are so nice

Leave a comment:

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.
Working...
X
false
["pitmaster-my-membership","login","join-pitmaster","lostpw","reset-password","special-offers","help","nojs","meat-ups","gifts","authaau-alpha","ebooklogin-start","alpha","start"]
false
false
{"count":0,"link":"/forum/announcements/","debug":""}
Yes

Spotlight

These are not paid ads, they are a curated selection of products we love.

All of the products below have been tested and are highly recommended. Click here to read more about our review process.

Use Our Links To Help Keep Us Alive

Many merchants pay us a small referral fee when you click our “buy now” links. This has zero impact on the price you pay but helps support the site.

Our Favorite Backyard Smoker

The amazing Karubecue is the most innovative smoker in the world. At its crux is a patented firebox that burns logs above the cooking chamber and sucks heat and extremely clean blue smoke into the thermostat-controlled oven. Click here for our review of this superb smoker.

The Efficiency Of A Kamado Plus The Flexibility Of The Slow ‘N Sear Insert

kamado grill
Built around SnS Grill’s patented Slow ‘N Sear charcoal kettle accessory, this 22-inch kamado is a premium ceramic grill that brings true 2-zone cooking to a kamado. Click here for our article on this exciting cooker.

BBQ And Grilling Gifts For Every Occasion

Looking for the perfect gift for the BBQ and grilling enthusiasts in your life? Here’s our suggestion for platinum and gold medal-winning products at a variety of price points. Click here to see our list of Gold Medal Gifts.

Amp Up Your Outdoor Cooking Game By Joining The Pitmaster Club

AmazingRibs.com Pitmaster Club
Now the largest membership-based BBQ and grilling community in the world, the Pitmaster Club is sure to step up your outdoor cooking game. Experience the countless benefits — from monthly giveaways, to free products, to exclusive content, and more– by signing up for a 30-day free trial below! Get a free 30-day trial here.