Welcome!

This is a membership forum. Guests can view 5 pages for free. To participate, please join.

[ Pitmaster Club Information | Join Now | Login | Contact Us ]

Only 4 free page views remaining.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Asking for foodsaver recommendations

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Asking for foodsaver recommendations

I know there was a thread on foodsavers some time ago, but I can't find it when I need it. ARGGHHHH

We are looking to give a foodsaver as a gift. We are thinking of the foodsaver 4980.

Thoughts/experiences/recommendations?

The recipients tend to buy meats in bulk and like to freeze. I assume they'll be coking for leftovers, as well.

TIA!

Stick with something fairly basic. Rarely need or use all the "bells & whistles". The more extra "stuff" you get the more there is to go wrong. I think I remember that some of the more "automatic" ones were a bit of a problem if you want to use something like the dry age steak bags.

Comment

richinlbrg , I have a similar-looking model of Foodsaver (4860), and I love it. I store almost all of my freezer goods in it. My older Foodsaver died after over 10 years of frequent use. It was an entry-level one. I like this one much better.

Kathryn

P.S. Here is the topic about Foodsavers:

Last edited by fzxdoc; November 21, 2015, 11:38 AM.

Comment

• richinlbrg
        richinlbrg commented
        Editing a comment
        fzxdoc , is your Foodsaver (4860) a vacuum sealing system?

• richinlbrg
        richinlbrg commented
        Editing a comment
        Never mind, I found your model! Thank you, Kathryn!

@richinlbrg Sams club sale ends Nov.27th

Sam’s Club Shops & Promotions Promotions Home Holiday Prep FoodSaver V4825 Series 2-in-1 Vacuum Sealing System

FoodSaver V4825 Series 2-in-1 Vacuum Sealing System

by FoodSaver | Item #: 376761 | Model #: 4825-002 |

(560) |

Write a Review

Free shipping

• $30 off with Instant Savings
      • Offer ends November 27
      • Compare at$149.98
      • Instant Savings-$30.00
      • $ 119 98

Out of stock online

Pick up in Club
      • Shipping
      • Free shipping
      • Free Pickup
      • Ready as soon as Tomorrow
      • Saginaw, MI Club [COLOR=#0087CD !important]Change[/COLOR]

Add to list

Comment

I bought the model 4980 at Costco when they first went on sale 10-29-15. It replaced a 10-11 year old foodsaver that finally gave up the ghost. I have had limited experience using the new one but one thing is apparent right away, it is much slower at vacuum sealing when using the automatic mode. I use the manual mode instead. One feature I use everyday is the retractable handheld sealer. It works great sealing the special zipper bags they make. Cheese, lunch meat, and other items you use all the time can be opened and resealed very quickly. I'm hoping this model lasts as long as some of my previous foodsavers. I believe this model from Costco has a 5-year warranty.

Comment

The foodsavers from Costco and Sam's Club are the same machine. They change the model number depending on whose selling it. Both are on sale right now.

Comment

OK, a VERY belated thank you!

We got the 4980, gifted it and it went over well.

OK, we actually got two 4980s. #1 thought it looked and sounded like a good idea, so she got one for us, too. We've been so far behind, I just opened ours and used it for the first time today. Got a big tenderloin at Costco, cut it into individual steaks and bagged them in pairs.

Thank you all for your help and guidance!!

Looking forward to it getting a lot of use!

Comment

Why thank you richinlbrg you are so nice

Comment

• richinlbrg
                richinlbrg commented
                Editing a comment
                Smh

Thought I'd throw this into the discussion. I use a Cabelas brand vaccum sealer. I believe it's a commercial or heavy duty model, all stainless steel. It's a double piston pump and works great for us. I fish a lot. During tuna season, I go through at least 100' of 11" wide bag rolls. Bluefin, yellowfin, yellowtail, duck, quail, pheasent, dove, and grocery store buys all work great. I can keep fish about as close to fresh for a year no problem in the freezer. The best price I've found for bag material is through Cabelas. I use this:http://www.cabelas.com/product/cabel...aler+bag+rolls

And the rolls work for foodsaver brand sealers just fine. About $15 for 50'. Best price I've found. When on sale, I pick up about 10 boxes for even cheaper. Just thought I'd throw this experience into the discussion...

Comment

Zip Loc brand has come out with bags (rolls) for the vacuum sealers. I just used it for the first time today--so no pluses or minuses to report yet, aside from the fact they seem a bit sturdier than Food Saver brand and were a bit cheaper too.

Comment

Found these on amazon and they are 5 ply vs most that I find that are 3 ply.

Comment

I've been looking for bags other than the Foodsaver brand because my vacuum sealed smoked sausages leak fat to the outside when stored in the freezer for a month or more. I've never seen that before.

Maybe I'll give Willy 's or Dr ROK 's suggestions a try.

Kathryn

Comment

I finally bit the bullet and bought a chamber sealer. Wow! Once you get one of these there's no going back. Still have my foodsaver but haven't used it since the chamber sealer arrived. Here's the one I got: http://www.webstaurantstore.com/ary-...VMASVP112.html

Comment

• Dr ROK
                        Dr ROK commented
                        Editing a comment
                        Jealous!

Whoa baby, that's one heckuva sealer, mgaretz ! If I was a sous vide afficionado, I'd be down for something like that, though.

Kathryn

Comment

• fzxdoc
                        fzxdoc commented
                        Editing a comment
                        Thanks for the additional info, mgaretz . I'm going to work or a rationalization. I don't sous vide, but longer, safer food storage is definitely right up my alley.

• mgaretz
                        mgaretz commented
                        Editing a comment
                        I also am having a lot of fun compressing fruits. It also works well for flash pickling. Cucumbers to pickles in 2 minutes!

• Dr ROK
                        Dr ROK commented
                        Editing a comment
                        Sealing liquids is one of the main reasons I'd like to have one like this. Maybe someday when my kids are not taxing my budget anymore

I have this model of Foodsaver and love it. Used it for pulled pork, pulled beef, brisket, ham, chicken, ribs, sausages, fatties, soups. Works well with all.

I like this brand for bags.

The quart bags or rolls are the ones we use 90% of the time. Pint bags are really too small. I wouldn't freeze that small of a portion. Would just use Ziploc instead. You need at least a roll of gallon size for large items but not used that often.

Comment

Announcement

Collapse
                      No announcement yet.
                      Working...
                      X
                      false
                      ["pitmaster-my-membership","login","join-pitmaster","lostpw","reset-password","special-offers","help","nojs","meat-ups","gifts","authaau-alpha","ebooklogin-start","alpha","start"]
                      false
                      false
                      {"count":0,"link":"/forum/announcements/","debug":""}
                      Yes
                      ["\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1157845-paid-members-download-your-6-deep-dive-guide-ebooks-for-free-here","\/forum\/the-pitcast","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2019-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2020-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2021-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2022-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2023-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2024-issues","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here"]
                      /forum/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here