Welcome!

This is a membership forum. Guests can view 5 pages for free. To participate, please join.

[ Pitmaster Club Information | Join Now | Login | Contact Us ]

Only 4 free page views remaining.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

How do you determine bag size (Foodsaver, open roll)

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Steve R.
    replied
    It kind of depends on the thickness of the item I am sealing. I don't use mine very frequently, bur I seem to remember my rule of thumb being 4" beyond the end of the chuck roast (for example), more or less as needed for the open end to lie flat for sealing.

Leave a comment:

• How do you determine bag size (Foodsaver, open roll)

One thing we've wondered about is how to properly measure the right size for Foodsaver bags when using an open roll.

Typically, we start with the open one end, seal it -- then make a best guess estimate of how much bag we may need. Cut it at that point and proceed with the fill/suck/seal process.

Sometimes we end up with way way way too much extra bag at the "top" of the bag. Sometimes we end up with barely enough bag to get it inserted into the Vac Channel to get processed properly.

For some things, like bratwurst, the size guessing is pretty straightforward and easy. But for larger/awkward-sized items - like a roast, it's hard to guesstimate how much expansion the bag might need vs the length to allow for proper closure.

What are some tips/tricks y'all use to better measure and avoid wasting baggie roll unnecessarily?

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.
Working...
X
false
["pitmaster-my-membership","login","join-pitmaster","lostpw","reset-password","special-offers","help","nojs","meat-ups","gifts","authaau-alpha","ebooklogin-start","alpha","start"]
false
false
{"count":0,"link":"/forum/announcements/","debug":""}
Yes
["\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1157845-paid-members-download-your-6-deep-dive-guide-ebooks-for-free-here","\/forum\/the-pitcast","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2019-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2020-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2021-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2022-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2023-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2024-issues","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here"]
/forum/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here