Welcome!

This is a membership forum. Guests can view 5 pages for free. To participate, please join.

[ Pitmaster Club Information | Join Now | Login | Contact Us ]

Only 4 free page views remaining.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Sealing open ended bags with foodsaver

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Sealing open ended bags with foodsaver

Hi,
    Can anyone share a vid? What am I doing wrong? In the manual thats how its explained to just seal an open end of the vacuum bag, but I cant seem to make it work.

Please see here the vid of what im trying to do. What am I doing wrong??

Comment

• rickgregory
      rickgregory commented
      Editing a comment
      I don't know that model of Foodsaver, but you shut it off very quickly, I assume because you don't want to suck air out but just seal. If that's how you do that on that model Foodsaver... you're not doing anything wrong. Has that method worked for you in the past?

You’re sticking the bag too far back for sealing one end. Bring the edge of the bag to just right before the air channel. You don’t want it to suck any air, only to seal. Lay the edge of the bag on top of the long black rectangular strip at the front of the sealer. And give it more time than what you did in the video.
    Last edited by Panhead John; December 15, 2021, 11:21 AM.

Comment

Sticking the bag too far in shouldn't affect the sealing process, just waste a little bag. I have an older model and it has separate controls for seal and vacuum. If you just hit the seal button, the light flashes and then goes out when it's done sealing. It takes more time than you seem to be giving it. 5-10 seconds maybe? Does the manual state how long your supposed to let it go?

Comment

• Donw
        Donw commented
        Editing a comment
        My Foodsaver had a separate button just like Murdy . It’s purpose was just to seal the bag without drawing a vacuum.

• holehogg
        holehogg commented
        Editing a comment
        Ditto on my model.

• Panhead John
        Panhead John commented
        Editing a comment
        The food saver I have is kind of old, but how to seal an open ended bag as I described above, is how mine works. It doesn’t have a separate seal button.
        Last edited by Panhead John; December 15, 2021, 05:35 PM.

Like others have suggested, in the video it looks like you're maybe turning it off before the seal portion begins.

Comment

• Steve R.
        Steve R. commented
        Editing a comment
        That's how mine works. You just shut off the vacuum and then the sealing begins.

I have a different model - I agree with Panhead John . If I stick the bag too far in the suction mechanism will continue forever. I either won't get a seal OR the seal will happen too quickly and I have to cut the bag and start again. The sound it is making is the suction.
      Last edited by tbob4; December 15, 2021, 07:01 PM.

Comment

• Panhead John
        Panhead John commented
        Editing a comment
        That’s exactly right Ted. You stick the bag all the way to the rear, IF you have food in the bag and it’s sealed at the other end. It then sucks the air out of the bag….and then seals it after all the air is gone. The black strip running across the sealer in the front, that I described, is the heating element to seal the bag. If you have a bag that’s not sealed at either end, then you place one end on that black strip, not any further. I’ve had 2 Food Savers and they both worked that way.
        Last edited by Panhead John; December 15, 2021, 02:26 PM.

The video stops right after you stop the vacuum. The procedure you seemed to follow is the same as what I do with mine, and then it lets me know the sealing process is complete. Is it not getting hot enough to seal? It wouldn't be unheard of for a Foodsaver to crap out before its time.

Comment

I can't add anything, but welcome to The Pit.

Comment

Here’s a video. Skip to the 2 minute 15 second part if you want. This might not be your exact model, but it shows where to place the bag.

Last edited by Panhead John; December 15, 2021, 04:01 PM.

Comment

Hi guys,

Attaching here 2 screen shots of this Model manual. Would aopreciate your help. I tried pulling out the vacuum bag only up to the black strip but still no go. The Video that someone posted is of another Model which seems to function different.

Thanks in advance!
            Attached Files

Comment

• pkadare
              pkadare commented
              Editing a comment
              I'd suggest that you contact FoodSaver for support.

• Draznnl
              Draznnl commented
              Editing a comment
              I agree with pkadare.

Did it work correctly in the past, or is this machine new to you? It looks like you are doing things correctly, with the possible exception of not waiting long enough for the seal to form. On my Food Saver it takes a good 15 seconds for the sealing cycle to complete.
            Last edited by willxfmr; December 16, 2021, 05:09 AM.

Comment

Hey guys,

Prior this Video I have indeed tried to wait long peeiods of time. Didnt work.

Also tried to email foodsaver but no answer for a month. Anyone??

Thankss

Comment

• Panhead John
                Panhead John commented
                Editing a comment
                I’d dump it and go with a recommendation from fzxdoc Kathryn posted recently about her experiences with Food Saver and shared with us her new sealer, which apparently is a really good one. Don’t remember the post though, maybe she can chime in?
                Last edited by Panhead John; December 16, 2021, 09:21 AM.

Check out the Avid Armor sealers, Kolvos . The Avid Armor AVS 7900 is listed at $70. I think if you sign up for their newsletter you get a discount. A member here paid around $55 for his just over a month ago.

Whats nice, compared to the one you have is that it has a locking handle so you don't have to juggle as much to hold the bag in place while you secure the lid. Plus Avid Armor is a USA-based business with excellent customer service, just a phone call away.

Kathryn

Comment

• MBMorgan
                MBMorgan commented
                Editing a comment
                Currently $54USD on their site.

• Dadof3Illinois
                Dadof3Illinois commented
                Editing a comment
                fzxdoc Can you still use the food saver bags with theAvid Armor?

• fzxdoc
                fzxdoc commented
                Editing a comment
                Yes you can, Dadof3Illinois . I'm still using up my Foodsaver backstock of rolls with the Avid Armor AVS 7900.

Kathryn

Not ready to buy a new one yet...

Comment

Welcome from Virginia.

I have had a couple Food Savers and no longer have them. I use Avid Armor and if it failed today, I would purchase another. But, I sure get that you are not ready to buy another one yet. With the Food Savers that I have had in the past you needed to wait for an audiblle indicating that the bag was sealed. It does look to me like you are hitting the button two quickly. I also agree with Panhead John where the Food Savers pushed too far over the channel will effect the seal. While it does not make sense, they can be finicky. If neither of these work, my guess is that your unit is defective.

Best of luck.

Comment

Announcement

Collapse
                No announcement yet.
                Working...
                X
                false
                ["pitmaster-my-membership","login","join-pitmaster","lostpw","reset-password","special-offers","help","nojs","meat-ups","gifts","authaau-alpha","ebooklogin-start","alpha","start"]
                false
                false
                {"count":0,"link":"/forum/announcements/","debug":""}
                Yes
                ["\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1157845-paid-members-download-your-6-deep-dive-guide-ebooks-for-free-here","\/forum\/the-pitcast","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2019-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2020-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2021-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2022-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2023-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2024-issues","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here"]
                /forum/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here