Welcome!

This is a membership forum. Guests can view 5 pages for free. To participate, please join.

[ Pitmaster Club Information | Join Now | Login | Contact Us ]

Only 4 free page views remaining.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Done with foodsaver

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Bighorn Dave
    commented on 's reply
    The older ones certainly where better. I think the problems I had using a FS had to do with over working it. As an example I would buy two or three whole tenderloin roasts and then cut into steaks, then pack it with the VS. I found sealing multiple items in one setting simply over worked the design standard of the FS sealers I have had in the past.
    Like you point out not everyone has the same needs. To make the more costly sealers pay off is using them often.

• rickgregory
    commented on 's reply
    Bighorn Dave - Yeah, it's mostly how I use a vacuum sealer and the fact that I'm single. I don't vacseal all that much stuff and the $100 or under units (I have a Nesco) are fine for how much I do. At under $300 the extra utility, esp the ability to seal up liquid things, would be fine. But $600+ just doesnt make sense for my use case. For others, it absolutely does, of course but it's all about me! Right?

• Bighorn Dave
    commented on 's reply
    They are pricey but built to last unlike food savers. The real savings come two fold IMHO. First they simply provide a better seal in part because the bagging material is superior to food saver material and secondly the bagging material is so much cheaper. I purchased 3 different size bags that come in a package of 1000 each size. I'l be reordering in the next few months. I would have to take out a home improvement loan to buy that much food saver bagging material and half a dozen food savers

• Bighorn Dave
    commented on 's reply
    Use for sous vide is a go, but I would recommend using at a minimum 3 mil bags or better yet 4 mil.

• prepperjack
    commented on 's reply
    Donw Thanks. Its good to be back!

• prepperjack
    replied
    I don’t think I used my food saver enough for it to actually break. I bought it with the intention of repackaging bulk meat and left over BBQ. When I actually thought about it though the amount of money I saved on the meat was mostly being eaten up by the cost of the bag. The bags for chamber vacs are so cheap - only a penny or two, usually, that not only is it cost efficient for me to repackage meat but I also use it for a lot more than the foodsaver because it’s cheap enough to use for prepped meals or prepped ingredients that I’ll be using later in the week. Also works great for marinades or even bagging soup.

Leave a comment:

• Donw
    commented on 's reply
    Welcome back.

• prepperjack
    replied
    I've had exactly that model for about a year now and I absolutely love it - great company too.

Leave a comment:

• fzxdoc
    replied
    I had the same experience with FoodSaver, jhapka . I went through several replacement units and not one of them was as reliable as my original 17 year old Foodsaver that had finally died. I bought a new Foodsaver that didn't last 3 months even. Foodsaver was great about sending replacements, but each one of them died after a few months. I got tired of the unpredictability of each successive replacement and finally gave up on Foodsaver vacuum sealers altogether. I wasn't as patient as you; I gave up after the 3rd replacement.

Kathryn
    Last edited by fzxdoc; December 17, 2021, 06:20 PM.

Leave a comment:

• jhapka
    replied
    Nice, that thing looks like an absolute unit. I played chicken with the customer service train and made Foodsaver send me five (5) replacements until I got one that worked perfect and two years later it’s still working great. But when this one goes I know what I’m gonna get.

It’s a shame that companies make crap products and bank on consumers getting fatigued of seeking a solution and just giving up.

Leave a comment:

• grantgallagher
    replied
    I am fighting with myself over buying one of the avid armor chamber units. Want it so bad but its a big enough investment that i need to hold off a few days and make sure i still want it vs impulse buy. Its the hardest thing to do, lol

Leave a comment:

• Darchie03
    commented on 's reply
    MCS strikes again, I just ordered the Avid Armor Model A100 I hope it works as well as every one says the Avid Armor vac sealers work.

• Santamarina
    commented on 's reply
    20+ years ago they made appliances that lasted. Today is the era of disposable appliances. Most things you’re lucky if they last a handful of years. I miss the old days.

• Oakgrovebacon
    commented on 's reply
    I went the same route about a month ago. Love it!

• leol2
    commented on 's reply
    Thank you. That was a good read

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.
Working...
X
false
["pitmaster-my-membership","login","join-pitmaster","lostpw","reset-password","special-offers","help","nojs","meat-ups","gifts","authaau-alpha","ebooklogin-start","alpha","start"]
false
false
{"count":0,"link":"/forum/announcements/","debug":""}
Yes
["\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1157845-paid-members-download-your-6-deep-dive-guide-ebooks-for-free-here","\/forum\/the-pitcast","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2019-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2020-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2021-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2022-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2023-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2024-issues","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here"]
/forum/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here