Welcome!

This is a membership forum. Guests can view 5 pages for free. To participate, please join.

[ Pitmaster Club Information | Join Now | Login | Contact Us ]

Only 4 free page views remaining.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Done with foodsaver

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Done with foodsaver

After 2 lousy experiences with them, I decided to buy myself a present. Just arrived my new chamber vacuum sealer. Click image for larger version

Name:	6B3CCB02-7E20-4D40-90DD-198A0BD2E65F.jpeg
Views:	393
Size:	175.3 KB
ID:	1141129 vacuum sealer by Avid Armor

Nice! I have the Vac Master. You will love these. nothing like it!

Comment

Great choice! I purchased one on the recommendation of fzxdoc and have used it quite a bit over the last several months. We have vacuum packed so many items I would never have attempted with the Foodsaver. Soups, stews, bread. I also learned a trick from one of her posts that you can seal bags outside the chamber. I use that trick to bag lettuce to give to neighbors. Keeps the lettuce bright and crispy for much longer than normal. You will enjoy it.

Comment

• Darchie03
        Darchie03 commented
        Editing a comment
        MCS strikes again, I just ordered the Avid Armor Model A100 I hope it works as well as every one says the Avid Armor vac sealers work.

Are the vac bags reasonably priced?
      As in could they be used for everyday leftovers?
      Also my husband is reading about Sous Vide. Would they be used for this also?

Comment

• STEbbq
        STEbbq commented
        Editing a comment
        You can also use the sealer for sous vide as well.

• rickgregory
        rickgregory commented
        Editing a comment
        I don't think it makes too much sense to vac-seal leftovers if you know you'll eat them in a day or two - a regular ziplock works fine for that - but if you make a batch of something and want to freeze in portions or just aren't sure you'll eat it quickly, yeah, it's a great use for that. From what I understand chamber sealers work better for liquid things like Bolognese, stews and the like which makes them an even better deal if you do that stuff.

Definitely can use them for SV, too.

• Bighorn Dave
        Bighorn Dave commented
        Editing a comment
        Use for sous vide is a go, but I would recommend using at a minimum 3 mil bags or better yet 4 mil.

Nice! After years of wanting a vacuum sealer - and all the bad reviews about Foodsaver - I bought one from www.meatyourmaker.com and absolutely love it. It gets constant use in our house and hasn’t had a single failure in almost a year.

Comment

• Oakgrovebacon
        Oakgrovebacon commented
        Editing a comment
        I went the same route about a month ago. Love it!

I wish there were less pricey chamber sealers (I expect there can't be due to their construction ). I don't do the volume of things to justify the price, but they're SO nice. Ah well.

Comment

• Bighorn Dave
        Bighorn Dave commented
        Editing a comment
        They are pricey but built to last unlike food savers. The real savings come two fold IMHO. First they simply provide a better seal in part because the bagging material is superior to food saver material and secondly the bagging material is so much cheaper. I purchased 3 different size bags that come in a package of 1000 each size. I'l be reordering in the next few months. I would have to take out a home improvement loan to buy that much food saver bagging material and half a dozen food savers

• rickgregory
        rickgregory commented
        Editing a comment
        Bighorn Dave - Yeah, it's mostly how I use a vacuum sealer and the fact that I'm single. I don't vacseal all that much stuff and the $100 or under units (I have a Nesco) are fine for how much I do. At under $300 the extra utility, esp the ability to seal up liquid things, would be fine. But $600+ just doesnt make sense for my use case. For others, it absolutely does, of course but it's all about me! Right?

Nice choice! I love mine. I use it at least 3 to 4 times a week.

FWIW, you may want to read the last couple of pages on this topic where the Avid Armor Ultra model is discussed with video links and tips

Up until August 2017 I had a Food Saver Vacuum Sealer that lasted well over 10 years. Then I vac sealed a bag of corn cut off the cob and drowned the innerworkings by mistake. So I

Kathryn

Comment

• leol2
        leol2 commented
        Editing a comment
        Thank you. That was a good read

I really want a chamber sealer but I have to wait until the Foodsaver dies. I have some friends whose Foodsavers have bitten the dust but I guess I'm lucky - mine has lasted 5 years and has sealed hundreds of pounds of stuff and shows no signs of quitting yet (but could be any day based on all of the reviews I've read). I started buying generic vac bags on amazon - Foodsaver bags are too expensive.

Comment

I must be one lucky man. I’ve had my FoodSaver for probably 20 years. I use it two or three times a week. I buy a lot of meat in bulk when it’s on sale.

It’s even antiqued itself.

Click image for larger version

Name:	E2770DE6-0DC0-40A0-8071-3FB9A80BCD2F.jpeg
Views:	299
Size:	235.8 KB
ID:	1141255

Click image for larger version

Name:	3E8E8CDF-EC49-467B-8E7B-104CE2D49488.jpeg
Views:	296
Size:	258.8 KB
ID:	1141256

It was white when I bought it. 😆

Comment

• LA Pork Butt
          LA Pork Butt commented
          Editing a comment
          I have an old one, too, and it’s giving no signs of quitting.

• Santamarina
          Santamarina commented
          Editing a comment
          20+ years ago they made appliances that lasted. Today is the era of disposable appliances. Most things you’re lucky if they last a handful of years. I miss the old days.

• Bighorn Dave
          Bighorn Dave commented
          Editing a comment
          The older ones certainly where better. I think the problems I had using a FS had to do with over working it. As an example I would buy two or three whole tenderloin roasts and then cut into steaks, then pack it with the VS. I found sealing multiple items in one setting simply over worked the design standard of the FS sealers I have had in the past.
          Like you point out not everyone has the same needs. To make the more costly sealers pay off is using them often.

I am fighting with myself over buying one of the avid armor chamber units. Want it so bad but its a big enough investment that i need to hold off a few days and make sure i still want it vs impulse buy. Its the hardest thing to do, lol

Comment

Nice, that thing looks like an absolute unit. I played chicken with the customer service train and made Foodsaver send me five (5) replacements until I got one that worked perfect and two years later it’s still working great. But when this one goes I know what I’m gonna get.

It’s a shame that companies make crap products and bank on consumers getting fatigued of seeking a solution and just giving up.

Comment

I had the same experience with FoodSaver, jhapka . I went through several replacement units and not one of them was as reliable as my original 17 year old Foodsaver that had finally died. I bought a new Foodsaver that didn't last 3 months even. Foodsaver was great about sending replacements, but each one of them died after a few months. I got tired of the unpredictability of each successive replacement and finally gave up on Foodsaver vacuum sealers altogether. I wasn't as patient as you; I gave up after the 3rd replacement.

Kathryn
            Last edited by fzxdoc; December 17, 2021, 06:20 PM.

Comment

I've had exactly that model for about a year now and I absolutely love it - great company too.

Comment

• Donw
                Donw commented
                Editing a comment
                Welcome back.

• prepperjack
                prepperjack commented
                Editing a comment
                Donw Thanks. Its good to be back!

I don’t think I used my food saver enough for it to actually break. I bought it with the intention of repackaging bulk meat and left over BBQ. When I actually thought about it though the amount of money I saved on the meat was mostly being eaten up by the cost of the bag. The bags for chamber vacs are so cheap - only a penny or two, usually, that not only is it cost efficient for me to repackage meat but I also use it for a lot more than the foodsaver because it’s cheap enough to use for prepped meals or prepped ingredients that I’ll be using later in the week. Also works great for marinades or even bagging soup.

Comment

Announcement

Collapse
              No announcement yet.
              Working...
              X
              false
              ["pitmaster-my-membership","login","join-pitmaster","lostpw","reset-password","special-offers","help","nojs","meat-ups","gifts","authaau-alpha","ebooklogin-start","alpha","start"]
              false
              false
              {"count":0,"link":"/forum/announcements/","debug":""}
              Yes
              ["\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1157845-paid-members-download-your-6-deep-dive-guide-ebooks-for-free-here","\/forum\/the-pitcast","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2019-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2020-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2021-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2022-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2023-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2024-issues","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here"]
              /forum/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here