Welcome!

This is a membership forum. Guests can view 5 pages for free. To participate, please join.

[ Pitmaster Club Information | Join Now | Login | Contact Us ]

Only 4 free page views remaining.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Portable Power for T-Stat Controller?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Portable Power for T-Stat Controller?

Anyone utilizing battery power for their thermostatic controller? Looking to get a bbq guru but want easy portable power. They offer car battery clamps for use with a cigarette lighter car adapter but there should be something easier than 12v battery let alone a car battery being used.
    I have seen Auber’s adapter for DeWalt battery packs but not sure if compatible with the guru.

Any guidance is appreciated.

look at Jackery or a Goal Zero Yeti

Comment

Well, I wish they had not discontinued their PartyQ, as it was a fully off the grid temp controller - runs from 4 AA batteries, and I get a couple of cooks out of cheap batteries. That said, if you REALLY want to stay with a BBQ Guru control, you could use about any 12V battery pack with that cable you mention. The problem then, is you have to have a charger for the pack.

I think you may want to consider alternatives that make provisions for running with an external battery or internal battery:

1. Thermoworks Smoke X2/X4 or Billows (requires using their unique fan, which I don't like the mounting of - for my kettle at least)
      2. Fireboard - you can use their fan, or the Guru Pit Viper fan.

I am pretty sure both of those vendors have internal rechargeable packs, or can run from external USB power sources - meaning you could run from one of those ubiquitous USB rechargeable power packs, that you plug a USB cable into.

Comment

- I have and old BBQ Guru dx2 that I have never used with a battery. However my nephew uses his dx2 with a Harbor Freight portable emergency car jump starter/tire inflator etc.
        - For any of you Smobot or Flameboss users I have used this with great success.

​​​​

Comment

I just changed from the grid powered Guru DX2 to the Fireboard 2 with my old Pit Viper fan. The Fireboard 2 has a built-in Lithium battery with a claimed battery life of 30 hrs and great remote monitoring and control.

Last weekend I finished my first 20 hr cook and towards the end I plugged in a small cell phone battery pack just to make sure that the Fireboard battery held up - it was cold outside which did not help the battery. With the additional battery back (using a USB A (the old style) to USB-C converter to fit the Fireboard) the fan should run for many hours.

Comment

Announcement

Collapse
          No announcement yet.
          Working...
          X
          false
          ["pitmaster-my-membership","login","join-pitmaster","lostpw","reset-password","special-offers","help","nojs","meat-ups","gifts","authaau-alpha","ebooklogin-start","alpha","start"]
          false
          false
          {"count":0,"link":"/forum/announcements/","debug":""}
          Yes
          ["\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1157845-paid-members-download-your-6-deep-dive-guide-ebooks-for-free-here","\/forum\/the-pitcast","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2019-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2020-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2021-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2022-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2023-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2024-issues","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here"]
          /forum/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here