Welcome!

This is a membership forum. Guests can view 5 pages for free. To participate, please join.

[ Pitmaster Club Information | Join Now | Login | Contact Us ]

Only 4 free page views remaining.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

WSM 22" stability

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

WSM 22" stability

Hi all!
    I'm running a Fireboard and pit viper combo. Overall, I absolutely love the combo. However, I've noticed some pretty crazy instability with temps. Pic attached.
    Setup:
    Full charcoal ring run minion method. great fitting cajun bandit door. I've tried running top vent half open, top vent full open, other 2 bottom vents closed or even cracked a bit. I've also tried sand in the water pan.

anyone else run in to this? I've seen people's graphs that are +/- 2 or 3 degrees the whole run.
    I'll also add that when I do ribs or other short cooks, I don't use the fan and have very little variation, but I like overnighters with the fan for sleep reasons.

Attached Files

You'll need to install gaskets between the section and on the lid as well.

Comment

These numbers are fine, honestly. Do not stress yourself out over a few degrees here and there.

Sealing the WSM is the key here. Gaskets on the doors and lid is needed if you are running a controller in the WSM, IMHO. This is why controllers were first used on kamados and cabinet smokers, they seal really well. You want the unit to be sealed tight. Run your top vent as if the fan has to push air through it. You want the fan to control the fire, not the outside air blowing over the vent.

Also, I never run any water or sand in the water bowl in the WSM. Sometimes I will take it out completely, or I will just leave the bowl in, but have it be empty.

Comment

You don't mention which version of the Fireboard you have but if you've got the V2, try playing around with the PID values in the settings. I have mine set to V3 and that seemed to have made a difference both on my PBC and my Napoleon kettle. You could also try reducing your fan percentage. As others have stated though, I wouldn't worry over much about the swings. I generally try to keep my cookers between 215 and 275 or so and don't really care much where they are in the range.

Comment

Originally posted by pkadare View Post
          You don't mention which version of the Fireboard you have but if you've got the V2, try playing around with the PID values in the settings. I have mine set to V3 and that seemed to have made a difference both on my PBC and my Napoleon kettle. You could also try reducing your fan percentage. As others have stated though, I wouldn't worry over much about the swings. I generally try to keep my cookers between 215 and 275 or so and don't really care much where they are in the range.
          Good point. I forgot they just dropped the FB2. I have the FB1, but with the firmware update that I can set the PID/fan settings. Variations don't bother me a ton, but I wanted to see if people had some thoughts on how to tighten it up a bit. Thanks!

Comment

Originally posted by Spinaker View Post
            These numbers are fine, honestly. Do not stress yourself out over a few degrees here and there.

Sealing the WSM is the key here. Gaskets on the doors and lid is needed if you are running a controller in the WSM, IMHO. This is why controllers were first used on kamados and cabinet smokers, they seal really well. You want the unit to be sealed tight. Run your top vent as if the fan has to push air through it. You want the fan to control the fire, not the outside air blowing over the vent.

Also, I never run any water or sand in the water bowl in the WSM. Sometimes I will take it out completely, or I will just leave the bowl in, but have it be empty.
            Thanks! I never run water, usually just foil in the empty pan to catch drippings. I'll get some gaskets and give that a go. My charcoal door is tight, but I definitely see smoke leaking out of the lid joint.

Comment

• Spinaker
              Spinaker commented
              Editing a comment
              Yep, seal up that lid and it should run much flatter. 👊🏻

Announcement

Collapse
          No announcement yet.
          Working...
          X
          false
          ["pitmaster-my-membership","login","join-pitmaster","lostpw","reset-password","special-offers","help","nojs","meat-ups","gifts","authaau-alpha","ebooklogin-start","alpha","start"]
          false
          false
          {"count":0,"link":"/forum/announcements/","debug":""}
          Yes
          ["\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1157845-paid-members-download-your-6-deep-dive-guide-ebooks-for-free-here","\/forum\/the-pitcast","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2019-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2020-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2021-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2022-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2023-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2024-issues","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here"]
          /forum/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here