Welcome!

This is a membership forum. Guests can view 5 pages for free. To participate, please join.

[ Pitmaster Club Information | Join Now | Login | Contact Us ]

Only 4 free page views remaining.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

PSA: Remember to clean your probes.

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

PSA: Remember to clean your probes.

I'm cooking some ribs right now in my kamado while I work. I have a DigiQ and pit viper running things for me but I also have an XR50 in the pit and the remote unit on my desk. I look over at the remote and the temperature is around 350 instead of 250! So I went out there and cleaned the probe. Sure enough, the DigiQ began to properly read the temperature. Dinner will be ready early.

Funny. I've had enough gunk to throw things off.

Comment

This happened to me tonight. Gotta clean them ........

Comment

I use Thermoworks and the ambient temp probes build up a black film on them. I’ve tried and tried to wash it off with warm water and soap but can’t get it off. What did you use to clean it?

Comment

• Attjack
          Attjack commented
          Editing a comment
          I used a griddle screen scrubber.

• gilbertpilz
          gilbertpilz commented
          Editing a comment
          You may want to try a bit of Bar Keepers Friend. The oxalic acid in it seems to do a good job on things that other cleaners don't get.

• CBM87
          CBM87 commented
          Editing a comment
          I've used some oven degreaser. works like a charm.

HawkerXP I thought maybe the SOS pads would be too abrasive...maybe damage them but I guess not. I’ll give that a try thanks!

Comment

They don’t need to be shiny like a food probe, they just can’t have too thick a layer of gunk. A dobie pad is what I use, or just hot water and scrape with my fingernail every few cooks.

Comment

It may not have gone according to plan but in the end dinner was served.

Click image for larger version

Name:	20200918_183054~2.jpg
Views:	239
Size:	137.5 KB
ID:	913001

Comment

• zzdocxx
              zzdocxx commented
              Editing a comment
              OMG looks good ! ! !

Hmmm...I keep a tub of Clorox wipes handy for a quick wipe of probes after use they are still nice and shiny.

Comment

I don't worry about the cables on my probes but I do clean the part that is inserted into the meat. I use a brillo pad and LIGHTLY scrub them with as little scrubbing as possible especially on the tip. Also do not submerge them (ask me why I know better). Tom

Comment

Are probes manufacturer specific, or can they be interchanged? Can I use brand x probes with brand z display unit?

Comment

• Attjack
                  Attjack commented
                  Editing a comment
                  I think they're typically manufacturer specific.

• glitchy
                  glitchy commented
                  Editing a comment
                  Some are RTD, some are thermistor, The latter have various resistance levels, the former may as well. Several will interchange but figuring out which can be tricky as few post their specs. Supposedly the Thermoworks will work on a SmokeFire grill. Fireboard supports multiple options.

I found that I can use my Fireboard probes with my Smoke

Comment

• glitchy
                  glitchy commented
                  Editing a comment
                  You know which FB probes you have? They actually have RTDs and thermistor.

Announcement

Collapse
              No announcement yet.
              Working...
              X
              false
              ["pitmaster-my-membership","login","join-pitmaster","lostpw","reset-password","special-offers","help","nojs","meat-ups","gifts","authaau-alpha","ebooklogin-start","alpha","start"]
              false
              false
              {"count":0,"link":"/forum/announcements/","debug":""}
              Yes
              ["\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1157845-paid-members-download-your-6-deep-dive-guide-ebooks-for-free-here","\/forum\/the-pitcast","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2019-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2020-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2021-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2022-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2023-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2024-issues","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here"]
              /forum/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here