Welcome!

This is a membership forum. Guests can view 5 pages for free. To participate, please join.

[ Pitmaster Club Information | Join Now | Login | Contact Us ]

Only 4 free page views remaining.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Fireboard2?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Fireboard2?

I’m close to buying the Fireboard2 and the viper fan, but wonder if I really need it. I hate baby sitting my cookers these days, so I’ve resorted to cooking about 4 hrs in my grill\smoker and finishing them off in the oven. Has anyone bought the controller and fan and regretted it because they just don’t use it on enough cooks? Also, the price is a bit high, are there any coupon codes for the unit that anyone can share?

I bought both. I've liked having them. They're not necessary though. Plenty of cooks here, better than me, that don't use them.

Did a brisket at my folks' house on my dad's WSM. No fan, or Fireboard. It also turned out good.

Comment

I have FBv1 and viper fan. I don’t regret the purchase but then I like gadgets!! 😇

Comment

I have the original FB and use it for pretty much every cook. I also have a fan (The one that FB sells) and use it mostly in the winter. I cook on a Hasty-Bake Gourmet and a Weber Smokey Mountain 22”. I only use the fan on the WSM.

Comment

I’ve got the Fireboard 2 with a pit viper fan on my Weber 22” Kettle. I consider it an essential add-on when I cook low, long and slow. It gives me great temperature control and I’m no longer fiddling with the vent opening every 30 mins or so during a long cook.

Comment

I have two of the originals and two pit viper fans. I use them for every cook on my 22 and 26" kettles that doesn't need warp 10 the whole time. No regrets. Love the consistency, control of temps, the ability of true set and forget and the cloud for recording cook sessions.

Comment

bought the FireBoard2 last week, but have not used it yet. MY BBQ Guru pit viper fans are compatible with the FB so I did not have to purchase a fan. But for long cooks I always use a fan.

Comment

Appreciate all the comments and gives me some things to think about. I just wish it was a bit cheaper and it’d be a no brainer.

Comment

I used to scoff at the idea of a controller and a fan. "Why not just use an electric oven if that's what you want?", I thought. But a flame out that resulted in a pork shoulder that couldn't break 180º F by 9:30pm has me reconsidering my previous, judgemental attitude. I'm thinking I need to get into overnight cooking but I've never had a cook where I didn't need to adjust the vents, on average, every 30 minutes or so. I can't see how you could get any sleep on an overnight cook without a controller and a fan.

Comment

Mark-B here’s my final input, for what it is worth.

The FireBoard is a fantastic digital thermometer system and well worth buying just for that. I literally have not done a cook without the FireBoard since I got mine ... my wife bought it for me for Christmas 2016, so 3 years of hard use. I do some kind of cook that I use the FireBoard for pretty much weekly. From that perspective, it’s the greatest tool I’ve had added to my cooking inventory ever.

The cost of the FB drive and fan was pretty much not that big a deal when I compare it to the number of long cooks that I do in the winter months. I cook a lot of brisket and pork butt in the winter. It lets me get some sleep during the night and turn out some great food. That combo is well worth the $100 I spent on the drive/fan. Before that, I was dozing on the couch all night while cooking a brisket, instead of sleeping in my bed, with my wife.

For $100, that seems well worth it to me.

The FireBoard is something I was going to have anyway, because I’m going to have a remote digital thermometer system. That’s a given.

Here’s a very long thread that I started on the FIreBoard. Might be worth reading. Tons of folks contributed.

I got a Fireboard Extreme BBQ Edition for Christmas. My wife knew I wanted one. She also, I'm pretty sure, is tired of me complaining about not having enough
                    Last edited by ecowper; September 6, 2020, 07:38 PM.

Comment

• Mark-B
                      Mark-B commented
                      Editing a comment
                      Thanks for the link and addl info! I’ll check it out.

I have the Fireboard 1. I don't regret buying it but I wouldn't buy it again for the $250 price I paid.

For me, something like the thermalworks smoke x4 is better because I can look at the physical receiver, instead of having to pull out my phone, enter the code and open the app every time I want to check temps which becomes a hassle since I like to do other things like work on my car while I grill. Even the webpage (if using a computer instead) sometimes gets stuck and I have to refresh the page to get accurate temps.

Comment

I use my Fireboard stand alone often, and sometimes use the fan on my 26. Holds the temps incredibly well.

Comment

I didn't realize I would use my fireboard and fan for every single cook when I got it. I bought it with long cooks where I have other things to do in mind. I use it for every single cook. Even for wings and pizza I hook it up without probes and just manually set the fan speed to 100% to get the kettle rocking.

Comment

Announcement

Collapse
                        No announcement yet.
                        Working...
                        X
                        false
                        ["pitmaster-my-membership","login","join-pitmaster","lostpw","reset-password","special-offers","help","nojs","meat-ups","gifts","authaau-alpha","ebooklogin-start","alpha","start"]
                        false
                        false
                        {"count":0,"link":"/forum/announcements/","debug":""}
                        Yes
                        ["\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1157845-paid-members-download-your-6-deep-dive-guide-ebooks-for-free-here","\/forum\/the-pitcast","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2019-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2020-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2021-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2022-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2023-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2024-issues","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here"]
                        /forum/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here