Welcome!

This is a membership forum. Guests can view 5 pages for free. To participate, please join.

[ Pitmaster Club Information | Join Now | Login | Contact Us ]

Only 4 free page views remaining.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Tip Top Temp controller

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Tip Top Temp controller

Hi Guys
    Has anyone had any experience with the device called Tip Top Temp controller? It is a thing that sits on the upper vent on a kettle grill and should controll the airflow to maintain temperature. It is realitivly cheap compared to other airflow control devices. But does it work? As it sits on the top vents and you have the lower vents closed I have my doubts.

I seen that a few months ago, made by Maverick? Seems pretty nifty, if it works. You couldn't run it with lower vents closed, you'd have to find a happy medium for the lower vents.

Comment

• Bie
      Bie commented
      Editing a comment
      If I read the online instructions correctly they state to have the lower vents closed. Then again I have been known to read through instructions too fast

I was checking this out thought of getting one just to toy with but talked myself out of it. I have a few temp controllers now that just don't get used. it certianly is affordable.

Now that you posted this Bie I'm jonesin again to get one just to test out.

Comment

I was thinking about gettinmg me the small PartyQ controller, but when I saw this one for a third the price I have started to reconsider. Would be great if some already tried it. There must be someone out there that is not at suspicious of new things like me

Comment

Honestly the partyQ I got last year never gets used anymore. WSM and kettles are pretty stable without them IMHO. Now with a Slow n Sear its even better.

​edit: okay Bie and Huskee

I couldn't stand it. For the sake of testing this. I have one on the way... [kickin the dirt, disgusted with self]
        Last edited by Jon Solberg; June 15, 2015, 10:54 AM.

Comment

• Steve Vojtek
          Steve Vojtek commented
          Editing a comment
          I really like to hear (or read) that - i have a SnS on it's way to me..

• Jon Solberg
          Jon Solberg commented
          Editing a comment
          Its pretty sweet Steve. I love it.

• Bie
          Bie commented
          Editing a comment
          Jon you push over . Exciting to hear how it goes!

I have one but haven't had time to try it. Sigh.

Comment

I don't care how consistent my kettle is I love my Auber fan

Comment

• Jon Solberg
            Jon Solberg commented
            Editing a comment
            we know that...just sayin ; )

Order one Monday. Got it today. I'll do a review this weekend on a WSM and a Smokey Joes or something. Stand by for news.

Comment

• Bie
            Bie commented
            Editing a comment
            Jon you are a hero! Looking forward to your experience with the device. I will then do some barbecuing the handheld way and control the temp the old fashioned way.

• Jon Solberg
            Jon Solberg commented
            Editing a comment
            I'm no hero my friend. I cant even get my head around the instructions. hehehehehe

"The Tip Top Temp damper coil has a Deflection rate : 38 ° C â€" 300 °C (100° Fâ€"600° F) or about 0.346 angular degrees per
            degree C. Once in operation..." :0

Alrighty then!
            Last edited by Jon Solberg; June 17, 2015, 03:32 PM.

I have two PartyQ's, one the older model and one of the newer model. Love them both. Works great on my Weber kettle and WSM

Comment

I had a second to throw the Tip Top on something to do a fast check. I opened it up to about 110 degrees angular which turned out to be about 280°f with the temp at test time. I need another test or two but so far this thing is doing what they say it would.

Shipping was great.

Its not fancy but after the first run I feel confident in it.

Stand by for an update.

Click image for larger version

Name:	FullSizeRender (7).jpg
Views:	245
Size:	115.1 KB
ID:	91891
            Last edited by Jon Solberg; June 22, 2015, 01:24 PM.

Comment

• Bie
              Bie commented
              Editing a comment
              Yes, your name defenitely suggest Norway, but maybe your ancestors left when it was still Denmark?? Well all history now . Sounds good with the next test. Exited to hear how it went.

• Bie
              Bie commented
              Editing a comment
              Jon, I came to think of somehting. If the device goes on the upper vents....how do you get a thermomenter into the grill? Through the lower vents???

• Jon Solberg
              Jon Solberg commented
              Editing a comment
              Bie Sorry I missed your question Bie. I dont use vents to get the probe into the cooker. I drill holes in them to run the cables.

I'm thinking this might be just the solution I'm looking for! When doing 12-18 hour overnight cooks I want to get more sleep and really only need something to manage the temp for 6-7 hours - I don't really need a full blown controller because I can manage my 18" WSM pretty good with vents alone.

Comment

• Jon Solberg
              Jon Solberg commented
              Editing a comment
              It will differently stop temp climb. WSM is a pretty stable platform already. I think they tend to lose temp on long cooks as opposed to gain. I cant go as far as to say it would help BUT for the price its well worth messing with.

Like I said I would not call it a controller. Its just a limiter.

• Le Grill
              Le Grill commented
              Editing a comment
              The WSM does tend to loose temps, especially as the ambient temp drops overnight. I'm thinking if one were to use this on a WSM it would probably work to get it stable, then open the vents slightly before attaching this on top, That way it would give the device some threshold to go up or down....to lower or raise the temp.

Announcement

Collapse
          No announcement yet.
          Working...
          X
          false
          ["pitmaster-my-membership","login","join-pitmaster","lostpw","reset-password","special-offers","help","nojs","meat-ups","gifts","authaau-alpha","ebooklogin-start","alpha","start"]
          false
          false
          {"count":0,"link":"/forum/announcements/","debug":""}
          Yes
          ["\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1157845-paid-members-download-your-6-deep-dive-guide-ebooks-for-free-here","\/forum\/the-pitcast","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2019-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2020-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2021-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2022-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2023-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2024-issues","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here"]
          /forum/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here