Welcome!

This is a membership forum. Guests can view 5 pages for free. To participate, please join.

[ Pitmaster Club Information | Join Now | Login | Contact Us ]

Only 4 free page views remaining.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Is there a Bells and Whistle Free Kettle ThermostaticController?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Is there a Bells and Whistle Free Kettle ThermostaticController?

Thinking about getting a Thermostatic Controller for my Weber Kettle.

I already own a Maverick XR-50 and I am happy with that.

I'm looking for a Thermostatic Controller that does one thing. I would like it to turn on a fan when the temperature gets too cool to boost the temperature of my kettle.

I do not need it to connect to my phone, I do not need it to send me a notification across the city if I'm at my friends house, I do not need it to graph out the temperature of my cook.

I do not have a problem drilling a hole in my kettle to permanently mount a device to it.

I discovered the Party Q in my research but it looks like that is discontinued.

Is there something else out there that is inexpensive, simple and inexpensive.

Thanks for any information.

Steve

PartyQ is what you are describing, and it has worked great for me. I would imagine that the newer offerings by BBQ Guru are as good or maybe better, but I don't have any experience with them.

Comment

I just got a DigiQ DX3 for the same reasons. You may want to look into that one. I just got it yesterday and haven't used it yet. I also bought the pit viper. Oh, and go BILLS!!

Comment

The T-Works Smoke X group is pretty close to that.

Comment

I use a DigiQ DX2. I don't bother with the meat probe anymore and just use my XR-50 for that.

Comment

You are correct. It looks like the PartyQ is no longer available. There is a controller that mounts to the top vent and works off of a thermostatic spring. I can’t remember the name of it, but I believe Mosca had or has one. I have a first generation PartyQ and an BBQ Dragon. The BBQ Dragon isn’t a controller, but could be used as a blower to boost air intake when your temp drops. Of course, you have to monitor the on and off switch, but it is variable speed.

Comment

• Mosca
              Mosca commented
              Editing a comment
              Not me, I have a DigiQ.

• LA Pork Butt
              LA Pork Butt commented
              Editing a comment
              Mosca I thought at one time you had one of these, but couldn’t figure out how to use it. https://tiptoptemp.com/products/tip-top-temp

• Mosca
              Mosca commented
              Editing a comment
              Oh, right. My reading comprehension was impaired. I thought you were talking about the PartyQ.

I figured out the TTT, but I don’t think it is any better than setting the vents properly.

ssandy_561 I think the closest to the discontinued PartyQ is the BBQGuru DigiQ. It requires you to plug in an AC adapter, and has 2 probes - one for meat, one for the grill, but does what you suggest, with no other frills. No app, no wifi or BT. The next closest solution would be the Thermoworks SmokeX series, with a Billows fan, but that will cost you more than the DigiQ, and you already have a Smoke with a remote to monitor things inside the house.

I have the wifi connector for my Smoke, but find myself using it less and less - I mostly got it as I have some range issues with the dedicated remote working in the master bedroom, for monitoring overnight cooks, so I rely on my phone for the alarms overnight. The graphs were cool briefly, but don't really serve a useful purpose in the long run.

Another option would be the Auber controllers, but at $143 for the controller only, you come in cheaper with the DigiQ which includes the fan and adapter for your kettle for $179.

Comment

ssandy_561 here is the link to the controller I was thinking about. https://tiptoptemp.com/products/tip-top-temp

Comment

Originally posted by ssandy_561 View Post
                ...I discovered the Party Q in my research but it looks like that is discontinued...
                Steve
                I'm not using my Party Q. I only do low and slow cooks during the day on my SnS Kamado and vent adjustments are minimal. I'm using my Kettle for grilling only. I have 2 probes. I'll ship it to you and if it works for you, then maybe a $25 snsgrills.com gift certificate. If you're interested PM me.

Also, you'll need to buy the kettle adapter which is about $20.

Click image for larger version  Name:	IMG_3149.jpeg Views:	0 Size:	2.66 MB ID:	888784
                Last edited by fuzzydaddy; July 30, 2020, 03:36 PM.

Comment

• fuzzydaddy
                  fuzzydaddy commented
                  Editing a comment
                  Oh heck, since I'm only using the kettle for grilling I can pull off the adapter and include that too.

• ssandy_561
                  ssandy_561 commented
                  Editing a comment
                  Thank you so much. I’ll PM you

• bep35
                  bep35 commented
                  Editing a comment
                  Here is what I really like about this site. Friends helping friends become better smokers.

Maybe there's a better way to say that....

It's boxed up and possibly will mail USPS tomorrow. Kettle adapter included & BGE adapter also.

Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_3150.jpeg
Views:	235
Size:	77.1 KB
ID:	888817

Comment

Take a look at the Tip Top Temp - doesn't get any simpler - https://tiptoptemp.com
                  If you want something wth a fan look at the PitmasterIQ. I haven't used mine on my Kettle but I have used it on my WSM. Works fine.https://www.bbqguys.com/pitmaster-iq...oaAv_eEALw_wcB

Comment

Announcement

Collapse
                  No announcement yet.
                  Working...
                  X
                  false
                  ["pitmaster-my-membership","login","join-pitmaster","lostpw","reset-password","special-offers","help","nojs","meat-ups","gifts","authaau-alpha","ebooklogin-start","alpha","start"]
                  false
                  false
                  {"count":0,"link":"/forum/announcements/","debug":""}
                  Yes
                  ["\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1157845-paid-members-download-your-6-deep-dive-guide-ebooks-for-free-here","\/forum\/the-pitcast","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2019-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2020-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2021-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2022-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2023-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2024-issues","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here"]
                  /forum/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here