Welcome!

This is a membership forum. Guests can view 5 pages for free. To participate, please join.

[ Pitmaster Club Information | Join Now | Login | Contact Us ]

Only 4 free page views remaining.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Recommendations for a Primo XL

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Recommendations for a Primo XL

Hello all,

I am a long time reader and finally decided to pony up and send Meathead the dough.

I would like to add therm control to my Primo XL setup and am looking for suggestions. I have been considering the Fireboard, the UltraQ, or maybe even the Smobot. I would be interested in any experience you have to share. I am amazed at the depth and breadth of this forum...you guys rock!

Thanks in advance!

I cook on both BGE's and a Primo XL.
    I have 2 of the 3 controllers you mentioned. I
    would say Smobot for the win.
    The graphics are not as good as the Fireboard. The app is awesome. Support is superb.
    I have 4 controllers in total and by far and away the Smobot keeps the tightest temperature control. 3 of my 4 controllers are fan based.
    Lastly I like that it has no fan. It allows your kamado to cook as a kamado should with natural draft.
    Last edited by tiewunon; June 26, 2020, 11:40 AM.

Comment

• BFlynn
      BFlynn commented
      Editing a comment
      Whoa whoa whoa..... Slow down!
      This implies that you're MORE concerned about the temp control and quality cooks of the meat you're going to put into your mouth than you are
      about posting hi res pics of your toys mid cook.

This aggression will not stand!!

• EdF
      EdF commented
      Editing a comment
      Second the Smobot, though I don't have much experience with fan-based models, aside from the KBQ. And you can run it on battery, which is nice.

Smobot gets my vote too. It holds temps much tighter than the new oven in our kitchen. You can expect to be within ten degrees of your set temp through the whole cook. It's just so simple to use, works great, no fan to bother with, and the two times I've contacted tech support I had answers within the hour. Both times the problems were a simple lack of tech knowledge on my part. They were very kind and guided me through the problems. I don't have a single complaint about my Smobot.

Comment

Montster to add some clarification I have the following controllers. If you have any question feel free to ask.
      Bbqguru dx2
      Flameboss 200
      Fireboard v1
      Smobot
      All of them have there plus and minus.

Comment

I'm probably not much help because I use a DigiQ DX2 with my Primo XL. I like it fine but it's no longer being sold. I use the newer pit viper fan (medium) which works fine. If I had to buy a new controller I would probably buy the Fireboard 2 based on opinions from The Pit.
        Last edited by Attjack; June 26, 2020, 01:27 PM.

Comment

• tiewunon
          tiewunon commented
          Editing a comment
          There is absolutely nothing the matter with the DX2. It is a good solid controller.

Welcome to The Pit.

Comment

I have bought the new Fireboard V2 drive.
          It's a great thermometer and a serious upgrade from my trusty {partially melted} maverick 732.

As a thermometer, it exceeds all expectations.
          I have just hooked it up to a pit viper fan, but have not actually used it as a controller, yet. So time will tell.......
          But the interface is easy to use and the display is easy to read.

Comment

• tiewunon
            tiewunon commented
            Editing a comment
            Hopefully sooner than later the Fireboard team will release the update to enable the unit to control more than 1 fan. It would fill that niche the Stoker vacated, plus allow me to pass along the Flameboss, DX2, FBv1. You will like the FB its a good controller. By far allows the most user interface on setting/parameter, cook programs. But the old adage "never operate a piece of equipment smarter than you" definitely applies to me with the Fireboard.

I started with the PartyQ on my primo and was moderately happy. Temp control was definitely better than I could do manually but was not blown away. Plus it never sat right with me to choke the oxygen flow on the lower vent.

Then I bought a SMOBOT and it CHANGED MY LIFE!! Now I am consistently nailing cooks within +/- 5-10 deg without blinking. Plus I leave the lower vent door open through the entire cook. Add to that the ability to check my cooks remotely on my phone and I was hooked.

My only complaint is temp accuracy and temp responsiveness. I also have a ThermoQ from Thermoworks that I setup simultaneously with the smobot. I trust the accuracy of this device more than the SMOBOT and also it is way more responsive. I use it to check the smobot and dial in my temps.

To get a little nerdy......The Smobot allows me to nail the precision while the ThermoQ allows me to nail the accuracy. Hope this helps.

Comment

These comments have been very helpful. Looks like I will order a Smobot. Out of curiosity, do you guys just run the thermometer cables between the lid and the base of your kamados?

Comment

Montster Yes. I have run all the pit and meat probes for all 4 of my controllers between the lid and base.

Comment

• Oak Smoke
                Oak Smoke commented
                Editing a comment
                +1 here too. All run between the lid and the base.

• EdF
                EdF commented
                Editing a comment
                It works!

Nobody mentioned the Auber SYL-2615 Thermostatic Controller, which currently is a platinum medal winner on AmazingRibs. Anyone? Auber SYL-2615 vs. SMOBOT WiFi Kamado Grill and Smoker Temperature Controller?

Comment

Announcement

Collapse
              No announcement yet.
              Working...
              X
              false
              ["pitmaster-my-membership","login","join-pitmaster","lostpw","reset-password","special-offers","help","nojs","meat-ups","gifts","authaau-alpha","ebooklogin-start","alpha","start"]
              false
              false
              {"count":0,"link":"/forum/announcements/","debug":""}
              Yes
              ["\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1157845-paid-members-download-your-6-deep-dive-guide-ebooks-for-free-here","\/forum\/the-pitcast","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2019-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2020-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2021-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2022-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2023-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2024-issues","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here"]
              /forum/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here