Welcome!

This is a membership forum. Guests can view 5 pages for free. To participate, please join.

[ Pitmaster Club Information | Join Now | Login | Contact Us ]

Only 4 free page views remaining.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Brand New FireBoard Drive 2

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Brand New FireBoard Drive 2

There have been a few questions in the FireBoard FB group about whether or not the Drive or Pro 2 can get a fan to 100% power while running on battery and I can now answer that question in the affirmative. I just received my Drive 2 (a day earlier than expected, thanks FedEx) and have hooked up my ancient Pit Viper and yes, the Drive 2 will run the fan at 100% while running on its own internal battery. Can't believe I waited so long and went through so many "affordable" devices before I bought one of these.

Thank you for the report. I am waiting till some more reports come in as I am happy with my DigiQ But I do want to upgrade if this is what it seems to be. I like the Cloud feature as I don't do smart phones.

Comment

Mine is delivered next Wednesday. Look fwd to testing it. Love the old one.

Comment

• willxfmr
        willxfmr commented
        Editing a comment
        Did you ever get the problem you had using the Drive cable sorted out? My kids got me a Fireboard for my birthday last year, but did not get the Drive model, so I'm contemplating just getting the cable instead of a whole new unit.

• Henrik
        Henrik commented
        Editing a comment
        Can’t remember what the issue was now, but if you have the FB1 the cable seems like a good option. Just check with them if there’s an end-of-life support (software updates) for FB1 before you decide.

How long does it run 100% on battery

Comment

• Satchelpig
        Satchelpig commented
        Editing a comment
        About 30 hours

• pkadare
        pkadare commented
        Editing a comment
        So I did an experiment last night (wife is in quarantine with her mother and I was bored), with the PV running at 100% only using the FB2 battery, 4 hours and 50 minutes. That's actually pretty damn good.

• Polarbear777
        Polarbear777 commented
        Editing a comment
        Good metric, 30 hours.

Means you can probably run an event without power.

Also from the Good News file, I have 6 probes that came with my Govee thermometer and they appear to work just fine with the Drive 2. I actually quite liked the Govee, the fact that it was bluetooth only, and kind of weak bluetooth at that, not so much.

Comment

• Dewesq55
        Dewesq55 commented
        Editing a comment
        I bought a Govee on a great deal from Amazon last fall. I have it at my vacation house. I like it with the same reservations as you. Also, the probe cables are pretty short. I'm thinking I should get a FB 2 for home and bring my original FB here to Virginia to stay. Since I have no need for fan control or the drive here in Va (Thermotemp XL), I might just get the regular FB 2 and use my current drive cable with it at home.

Really like the display on the new Fireboard. This is a great upgrade from the maverick.

Easy to read from a few feet away. No need to bend over and/or squint your eye balls.

​​​​​​Cant wait to get this hooked up to a pit viper.

​​​
      ​​​
      Attached Files

Comment

• hoovarmin
        hoovarmin commented
        Editing a comment
        What are those horns on your PBC for?

• BFlynn
        BFlynn commented
        Editing a comment
        This PBC is the Jerod Broussard special edition.
        {Jerod was kind enough to let be have his old smoker when I was in the fence about a PBC}

Exhaust ports at the top, and extra intake valve at the bottom for extra air flow.

Necessry upgrades when you want to smoke 6 briskets at a time. I just leave them closed.

This edition also came preseasoned. For the first week my wife kept coming inside and saying "this is going to sound crazy but I swear I smell bbq".

Since it is still the middle of the night and I don't feel like wandering around in the dark to try a dry run with my new Drive, I've got it sitting on my kitchen counter running a program that will run my Pit Viper at 100%. Want to get some idea of how long the battery will hold out while running the fan at 100%. I'll report back with my results.

Comment

Really not a happy camper at the moment. Had some troubles during the initial cook yesterday so following the FB troubleshooting guide, I performed a factory reset. Working with it again this morning, I tried another reset and it now appears to be bricked. Stuck at this screen.
        Click image for larger version

Name:	fbdrivebricked.jpg
Views:	691
Size:	86.4 KB
ID:	861990

Comment

• JackJ
          JackJ commented
          Editing a comment
          How has it been behaving for you since the brick mishap? I'm thinking about ordering one, but would like to know they've got the kinks worked out.

• pkadare
          pkadare commented
          Editing a comment
          Working as advertised, no issues.

• Richard Chrz
          Richard Chrz commented
          Editing a comment
          This is the stuff that makes me not trust technology, I had my smoke billows go out on me in the middle of the night. They sent me a new one, but, now I do not trust it. I was researching this exact unit today. Hmm..

That sux!

Comment

Brutal...I'm pulling the trigger on it tonight I think for my Father's Day gift. Fingers crossed they are solid in support and you get if fixed/replaced ASAP.

Comment

My install of Fireboard V2 Drive and Pit Viper fan went well.

You can see details here - https://pitmaster.amazingribs.com/fo...-pit-viper-fan

Overall, happy with both, and found the app interface mostly easy to use.

I rate this combination 5/5 ribs.

Comment

Update. I bought it and am happy with it (now). My only complaint is the interface between the fan and the adapter plate and the interface between the plate and the BGE. It'd be nice if they had sealed that up a bit tighter perhaps with a gasket or something. I ended up marking the "blocker door" on the fan and keep my top vent nearly closed and it all seems to work like a gem. More to follow once I have a couple more long cooks on it.

Comment

After 3-months, I am a fan of the controller and the iPhone app. The fan is solid and well built except that the adaptor plate for the BGE simply does not fit well. In fact, it falls out quite easily. I am working on solutions with customer support who has been responsive and tried to help but at this point it appears I need to fabricate or source a new or better plate. The fan to adaptor plate interface needs a gasket and the plate is not well matched to my damper door on my BGE. I was hoping they had re-designed the adaptor plate to be more like the Pitviper's plate with the extra piece of metal and added a silicone gasket to seal up the fan to plate interface, but so far I have not seen that as an option.

I will add that I love their probe "spindles" made of silicone and like their short straight temp probes for thinner pieces of meat. I also love the Fireboard 2. I am going to order a Mag Mount for it next.

If the 20 CFM fan simply was better designed to mount and stay in-place on my BGE, I'd call it the perfect combination. I am looking at replacing the fan at some point with a Pitviper after seeing some detailed reviews and pictures from a friend of mine's install.

Comment

Announcement

Collapse
                No announcement yet.
                Working...
                X
                false
                ["pitmaster-my-membership","login","join-pitmaster","lostpw","reset-password","special-offers","help","nojs","meat-ups","gifts","authaau-alpha","ebooklogin-start","alpha","start"]
                false
                false
                {"count":0,"link":"/forum/announcements/","debug":""}
                Yes
                ["\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1157845-paid-members-download-your-6-deep-dive-guide-ebooks-for-free-here","\/forum\/the-pitcast","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2019-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2020-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2021-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2022-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2023-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2024-issues","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here"]
                /forum/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here