Welcome!

This is a membership forum. Guests can view 5 pages for free. To participate, please join.

[ Pitmaster Club Information | Join Now | Login | Contact Us ]

Only 4 free page views remaining.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Temp Fan control Kamado BigJoe

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Temp Fan control Kamado BigJoe

Hi all,

I have Kamado Big Joe 2. Im getting a more adventurous in my cooks and so would like a bit more temp control. The analog gauge on the Joe i dont think is reliable and ive calibrated it recently.

Was thinking of getting a wifi enabled temp sensor with a fan to help me maintain a constant temp. I have a power socket near by and the Joe is sheltered from the rain.

I see FireBoard are bringing out a new unit in Aug and dont mind waiting for that if needs be. We do use the Joe for Pizzas and the new K sensor can work at a much higher temp.

Being in the UK we dont get the latest products but my wife has family in NY so I could always ask them to ship it over.

Any recommendations for temp sensor and fan?

Jim

Auber is what I use for my KJ. Works great.

Comment

I really like the Smobot for my BGE. It works differently that a blower. I am pretty sure it is available for the Kamado Joe.

Comment

• EdF
        EdF commented
        Editing a comment
        I just checked - for some models anyway. I second the recommendation. https://smobot.com

• Oak Smoke
        Oak Smoke commented
        Editing a comment
        I'm also a Smobot user and couldn't be more pleased with the way it performs on my KJ. I cooked a hot, fast brisket Sunday. I set the temp at 300 deg F , I never saw a temp hotter than 306 or cooler than 291 for the entire 9 hours. It just works.

Thanks for the reply’s, I had never heard of Smobot. It sounds interesting and id think it would be better at controlling heat than a fan. When a fan control is not blowing it still has an open end that i guess can swing the cook temp.
      Now to find out if they can ship it over here.
      Thanks again.

Comment

• LA Pork Butt
        LA Pork Butt commented
        Editing a comment
        I have a PartyQ which gets the job done, but it eats batteries and there is no WiFi or Bluetooth to check it or change the setting. The WiFi was the reasons I upgraded to the Smobot.

Well that was an easy sell. I have ordered one and its on its way. Thanks for the advice.

Comment

• tiewunon
        tiewunon commented
        Editing a comment
        So did you order the Smobot?
        I have 4 controllers and the Smobot keeps the tightest temp control of them all whether I am cooking on a LBGE, MBGE or Primo XL. Curtis and Eric are very responsive if a problem ever occurs. If you get the urge to ever clean it I have found 91% Isopropol Alcohol and a cotton ball to be your best friend. Or just use an alcohol swab.
        All my other controllers are fan based (fireboard, flameboss and bbq guru dx2). All work fine.

Hi tiewunon, yes I ordered a Smobot yesterday.

When you say "I have 4 controllers and the Smobot keeps the tightest temp control of them all " do you mean it maintains the highest temp or it overshoots the highest temp?

Regards,

Jim

Comment

• tiewunon
        tiewunon commented
        Editing a comment
        Jim Des. Not talking high temp nor over shoots.
        What I am feebily trying to say is that it typically maintains your set temp within +/- 3°. I went back and looked at my 93 logged/data saved cooks and I have one instance of my set point being over 15°. I have less than a handful of up to 9°.
        Curtis gave me some added guidance for lower damper settings on a LBGE which I believe has helped in pretty much achieving "flat line" cooks.

Announcement

Collapse
    No announcement yet.
    Working...
    X
    false
    ["pitmaster-my-membership","login","join-pitmaster","lostpw","reset-password","special-offers","help","nojs","meat-ups","gifts","authaau-alpha","ebooklogin-start","alpha","start"]
    false
    false
    {"count":0,"link":"/forum/announcements/","debug":""}
    Yes
    ["\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1157845-paid-members-download-your-6-deep-dive-guide-ebooks-for-free-here","\/forum\/the-pitcast","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2019-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2020-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2021-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2022-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2023-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2024-issues","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here"]
    /forum/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here