Welcome!

This is a membership forum. Guests can view 5 pages for free. To participate, please join.

[ Pitmaster Club Information | Join Now | Login | Contact Us ]

Only 4 free page views remaining.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Thermo Controller options for backyard smoking / rainy weather?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Thermo Controller options for backyard smoking / rainy weather?

Hi Folks,

I'm considering buying a temp controller for my WSM / Kettle, but everything I see out there seems to need household power. My smokers are not particularly near a power source, and I'm also a bit concerned about how these things fare in rain if they need to plug in.

Are there reasonable options for no household power, or is a long outdoor extension cord and rigging some sort of tarp my only good option? ...or am I just not thinking of something simple?

Thanks!
    Andy

I use a FireBoard in a baggie when raining. Have the extra battery power pack instead on an extension cord.

Comment

I missed out on fireboard! I had it in my head it was only a thermometer. I'll have a look. Thanks!

Comment

I love my Party Q just for this reason, but it was just discontinued. I get about 2 cooks per set of AA batteries, but those are cheap.

Comment

• Attjack
          Attjack commented
          Editing a comment
          Can it also be plugged in?

• jfmorris
          jfmorris commented
          Editing a comment
          Attjack the PartyQ could be hacked by using a 6V DC supply and two wooden dowels cut the length of AA batteries to run from AC. Doesn't much matter for the original poster now, since BBQGuru has taken it off their site. I think there is place for a battery operated solution for when you are away from AC power.

• LA Pork Butt
          LA Pork Butt commented
          Editing a comment
          I converted my 1st generation PartyQ to electric, because it ate batteries on overnight cooks. Found a how to on the internet and also converted my battery eating BBQ Dragon.
          Last edited by LA Pork Butt; May 21, 2020, 10:32 AM.

I don't have it yet, but from what I see on their site and on reviews, you could use microUSB, so a phone adapter would work for that. They also sell a 10000MAH battery extender that looks like the phone recharge "bricks". This is looking like a cool way to go so far..

Comment

I have the Fireboard battery extender. Only have used it on long overnight cooks. If you don't want to buy theirs, I am sure a phone brick would work as long as you are close to their brick MAH. Key is to remember to charge your Fireboard and brick after a cook.

Their brick will charge my Samsung.
          Last edited by jlazar; May 20, 2020, 06:51 PM.

Comment

I use a stoker2 on my wsm 22.5. However these are not available to buy anymore. To keep it and all the ancillary stuff out of the rain I use plastic boxes that can be bought at any hardware or well stocked department store. Holes were cut and PVC elbows used to allow easy cable access. The holes and elbows were sealed with a sealant. I also hang a plastic box on the blower to keep it out of the rain as well, in a way that it does not melt. I also use a long extension cord to power it. Sorry I can not provide pictures at this time as this rig is in another state from where I am now as it is the pit i use where i am visiting that area.

Comment

Went to buy a Fireboard, based on this, and just as I was about to hit "buy" noticed a banner advertising something exciting "Friday"...that was the Fireboard 2, so pre-ordered that instead... I've had maybe 4 cooks with it since it showed up around 2 weeks ago and absolutely LOVE it!!! My pit viper fan just showed up yesterday, and I played with it a bit by setting the setpoint just over room temperature and holding/letting go of a probe, but hope to put it to a real test this weekend or next.

Totally juiced! That Fireboard is likely the best investment I've made for outdoor cooking since my smoker. Thanks all!!!

Comment

Announcement

Collapse
              No announcement yet.
              Working...
              X
              false
              ["pitmaster-my-membership","login","join-pitmaster","lostpw","reset-password","special-offers","help","nojs","meat-ups","gifts","authaau-alpha","ebooklogin-start","alpha","start"]
              false
              false
              {"count":0,"link":"/forum/announcements/","debug":""}
              Yes
              ["\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1157845-paid-members-download-your-6-deep-dive-guide-ebooks-for-free-here","\/forum\/the-pitcast","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2019-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2020-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2021-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2022-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2023-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2024-issues","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here"]
              /forum/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here