Welcome!

This is a membership forum. Guests can view 5 pages for free. To participate, please join.

[ Pitmaster Club Information | Join Now | Login | Contact Us ]

Only 4 free page views remaining.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Fireboard with Pit Viper run time

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Fireboard with Pit Viper run time

I'm wondering how long will the Fireboard and Pit Viper combination run on the battery internal to the Fireboard without the ac connection or battery pack?

I've run mine plugged in most of the time. The fan control cable has an AC outlet that runs the whole show. To answer your question I did try a cook without plugging it in one time and got through about a 4 hour cook with no issues. The battery indicator was pretty low at that point. I doubt it would last in an extended over night cook. Sorry I don't have more experience with that.

Comment

I had mine hooked up overnight last night and it was just fine running on the battery for 12 hours, then I had to plug it in. I usually have mine plugged in but I forgot to do so last night, good thing I caught it.

Comment

• hdwwomcbb
        hdwwomcbb commented
        Editing a comment
        Just received my fireboard and pit viper fan and am planning a trial run with it on my BGE. What is the best sequence of events regarding attaching and starting the fan, starting the fire, placing the smoke pot, placing the plate converter, placing the temperature probes and adding the meat?
        Thanks for the help.

I have one of those external battery charger packs which I plug into the Fireboard charging port when I have a really long cook. Mine has 3.amp capacity so it should run the Fireboard for about an extra day.

Comment

Long time reader and have learned a ton here...

I did an 11 hour cook yesterday without plugging it in. It was fully charged when I started the cook and had about 35% left when I finished. Not sure how much it matters, but I also have the fan limited to 40% via the controller. You can see how frequently the fan kicks in on the green line in the graph linked below.

Here's the cook: https://share.fireboard.io/8A931D
        Last edited by smullen27; April 8, 2020, 07:23 PM.

Comment

Thanks for your responses. It appears that the onboard battery is sufficient to do a 12 hr. cook, which is fine for me. I don't have easy access to an ac outlet and didn't want to spend the extra for the battery pack.

Comment

I like to light the fire on the left side of my BGE. I use a torch to light it and that works great.

Allow your BGE to get up to about 200 F, then add the fan to the BGE. Leave your top vent about half open, until it gets to about 20 F from your set temp, then damp it way down. You want the fan to be the primary source of airflow in the kamado. So the fan will push the air through the top vent.

I will put my plate settier in the oven and pre heat it until the Egg comes up to temp. You dont have to do this, but it helps with timing. If you do not want to do this, simply add the cold plate setter to the BGE and let the Fireboard do its thing to get the BGE to recover.

I place the smoke pot right on the fire, then put in the plate setter. Let the BGE run for about 15 mins to balance out and for the fan to adjust to the added thermal mass. Then you should be good to go.

I throw my temp probe in the top grate of my BGE, towards the back.

When you add the meat, just make sure the temp probe is at least 2 inches from the meat. That is all it takes!

Comment

• hdwwomcbb
              hdwwomcbb commented
              Editing a comment
              Got it. Thanks much.

• hdwwomcbb
              hdwwomcbb commented
              Editing a comment
              I smoked a pair of pork tenderloins yesterday. Everything worked except I think the SP leaked around the lid as there was a lot of heavy white smoke a while after placing the SP in the fire, which jumped the temperture significantly. I suspect that there wasn't a good seal between the lid and the pot, which allows the wood to catch fire. Do you use anything to seal the lid to the pot? I've seen the references to a flour gasket, but don't know what that is or references to using aluminum foil.

• Spinaker
              Spinaker commented
              Editing a comment
              No, you should not need to seal the lid. I will pre heat the SP in the fire, then add the wood and close the top. The temp more than likely jumped because the lid was open for a period of time. The SP should not make the temp pop up that much, if at all. Honestly, you could just set wood right on the fire too. That will burn plenty clean. A little white smoke when starting out is not a huge issue really. hdwwomcbb

Announcement

Collapse
          No announcement yet.
          Working...
          X
          false
          ["pitmaster-my-membership","login","join-pitmaster","lostpw","reset-password","special-offers","help","nojs","meat-ups","gifts","authaau-alpha","ebooklogin-start","alpha","start"]
          false
          false
          {"count":0,"link":"/forum/announcements/","debug":""}
          Yes
          ["\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1157845-paid-members-download-your-6-deep-dive-guide-ebooks-for-free-here","\/forum\/the-pitcast","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2019-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2020-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2021-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2022-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2023-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2024-issues","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here"]
          /forum/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here