Welcome!

This is a membership forum. Guests can view 5 pages for free. To participate, please join.

[ Pitmaster Club Information | Join Now | Login | Contact Us ]

Only 4 free page views remaining.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Ash on meat from temperature control blowers

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Ash on meat from temperature control blowers

I've been researching temperature control systems for smoking and have noticed comments about ash being blown onto the meats during the cook. How prevalent is this and is there a way to avoid it? Is it more prevalent in particular smokers? I use a large green egg and am starting to do more low and slow smokes, but don't like the idea of ash getting on the meat, but do like the idea of better temperature control without constant monitoring.

I use a Pit Viper fan and Fireboard on both my 22 and 26" kettles. I also use either a DnG or foil and have had zero issues with ash. Even with the fan running at 100%, it's not powerful enough to blow ash all around.

Comment

I've used a DigiqDX2 on my LBGE for years. I've never had that problem. First, the fan blows very slightly on a BGE due to the insulation: corrections are continuous, but very small. Second, the diffuser plate acts as a barrier.

That being said, the fan isn't really needed on a BGE. I only use it for peace of mind on overnight cooks. Well, I only use it because I bought it. MCS 'n 'at, y'know? But it is a nice gadget.

Comment

• tbob4
        tbob4 commented
        Editing a comment
        That is funny! I know how hot my GrillGrates get yet I bust out the infrared thermo from time to time because I bought it.

havent seen it yet with my billows.

Comment

I've never noticed it with my Primo XL and its fan. I've experienced it stirring coals in my SnS though.
        Last edited by Attjack; April 7, 2020, 09:29 AM.

Comment

I use a Party Q (I think that's what it is) with my Weber. I do not have any issue with ash. As said by the others, it just doesn't blow hard enough.

Comment

Same with my Pit Viper fan run by my Fireboard, no blowing ash, only perfect meat

Comment

What’s a little ash. Just blow it off. Any left, it won’t kill ya.🕶

Comment

No ash from my Flame Boss and BGE either. Like Mosca said, even with the daisy wheel closed all the way, the fan rarely goes above 30% with a pit temp of 225.

Comment

No issues with the FB and PV on the WSCGC.

But none the less, ash taste like supper...

Comment

I don’t have that issue with my Party-Q on my kettle, but if you just want to use it with a BGE, a fan less option to look at is the Smobot - I know several folks on here have it and like it.

Comment

Yeah, they may have too strong of fan for their cooker.

not a problem for me.

Comment

Never had that problem in my BGE. Or not that I have noticed. You Weill be fine, nothing to worry about.

Comment

When the fan is tending the flame it’s a small breeze that doesn’t usually make the ash airborne (as said above).

however, if you need to move coals or otherwise disturb the ash, you’ll want to remove/cover the food while you do that or turn off the fan or both. Once the ash is in the air, the fan will move it around a bit.

possible problem if you switch from low, say 225, to high, say 350F mid-cook. Something could settle, kick up ash and send a little flying.

I’ve never had any issues across several types of charcoal rigs that weren’t my fault (messing with the coals and kicking up ash).

Comment

Also, In a BGE the fan is not blowing directly on or over the coals: it is blowing underneath them. It will never be a problem.

Comment

Announcement

Collapse
                            No announcement yet.
                            Working...
                            X
                            false
                            ["pitmaster-my-membership","login","join-pitmaster","lostpw","reset-password","special-offers","help","nojs","meat-ups","gifts","authaau-alpha","ebooklogin-start","alpha","start"]
                            false
                            false
                            {"count":0,"link":"/forum/announcements/","debug":""}
                            Yes
                            ["\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1157845-paid-members-download-your-6-deep-dive-guide-ebooks-for-free-here","\/forum\/the-pitcast","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2019-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2020-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2021-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2022-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2023-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2024-issues","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here"]
                            /forum/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here