Welcome!

This is a membership forum. Guests can view 5 pages for free. To participate, please join.

[ Pitmaster Club Information | Join Now | Login | Contact Us ]

Only 4 free page views remaining.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Just received my DigiQ DX2 in the mail...

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Just received my DigiQ DX2 in the mail...

I'm going to use it for low and slow cooks on my BGE. Does anyone have any positive or negative information on this device? Are there things I need to be careful to do or not do? Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Coolness, I have an Auber being delivered tomorrow.

Comment

• Breadhead
      Breadhead commented
      Editing a comment
      I almost bought the auber... But eventually decided on this one.

• Jerod Broussard
      Jerod Broussard commented
      Editing a comment
      Oh you definitely got an awesome unit. Bill gave the Auber a good review and the price was better for me just to use on my kettle.

I love my Digi Q! The only thing I've had happen with mine is that under certain weather conditions, I'll have to damper mine down a bit to keep it from overshooting the temp. Other than that, I've had zero issues with it.

Comment

@SwampDonkeyzBB

I live in Hermosa Beach, Ca. It's always about 70 degrees with a slight breeze. I'm going to install it today just to do a dry run and play with temp control. Then Saturday night about 11:00pm I'll put on 16 pounds of pork butt. I'm not going to wrap them so I anticipate a 16 hour cook. They will probably hit 203 degrees Sunday afternoon at about 3:00pm. I'll wrap them and let them rest for 2 hours and pull them at 5:00pm for a family get together. I'll serve them with my homemade Brioche hamburger buns that I'll bake on the BGE after I pull the butts off.

Comment

• Jerod Broussard
        Jerod Broussard commented
        Editing a comment
        I think overnight is my main need. When the temp drops and the humidity goes up, I need something to compensate for me while I slumbereth.

But don't get me wrong, short afternoon cooks will be nice.
        Last edited by Jerod Broussard; May 13, 2015, 12:07 PM.

I missed this topic a couple days ago.

I use the DigiQ DX2 on my BGE. If you have your BGE directly on a paving stone in a table, you might want to put the feet under it; the fan doesn't fit well because of the angle of the vent. It fits if you put it oriented up-and-down, but it fits better, flat, with the extra 1" or so of clearance.

Calibrate the unit. Instructions are in the manual. It isn't hard to do and it is nice to have that confidence in the readings. (Mine was accurate out of the box.) The readings will be off from other probes that you might have under the dome, because you are measuring temps at different areas. That can be disconcerting. Confidence is good.

I went through the instruction manual, chose the way I wanted it to act, set it up, and promptly forgot everything. The next time I used the DigiQ, I had to look up the instructions on line. So, keep the manual handy!

Other than all that, it is simple as heck: set it up and walk away. That being said, for most cooks of ribs or less time-wise, I don't bother to set it up, because I know my BGE pretty well. But if I'm doing a pork butt or more, like maybe a prime rib or a big bird, I use the DigiQ.
      Last edited by Mosca; May 13, 2015, 01:17 PM.

Comment

I have had my eye on this, as well as the cyber-q. Anyone used the cyber-q?

Comment

Announcement

Collapse
        No announcement yet.
        Working...
        X
        false
        ["pitmaster-my-membership","login","join-pitmaster","lostpw","reset-password","special-offers","help","nojs","meat-ups","gifts","authaau-alpha","ebooklogin-start","alpha","start"]
        false
        false
        {"count":0,"link":"/forum/announcements/","debug":""}
        Yes
        ["\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1157845-paid-members-download-your-6-deep-dive-guide-ebooks-for-free-here","\/forum\/the-pitcast","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2019-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2020-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2021-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2022-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2023-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2024-issues","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here"]
        /forum/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here