Welcome!

This is a membership forum. Guests can view 5 pages for free. To participate, please join.

[ Pitmaster Club Information | Join Now | Login | Contact Us ]

Only 4 free page views remaining.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

PartyQ and the Smokenator

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

PartyQ and the Smokenator

I have order the PartyQ and the Smokenator for the Weber Performer and was wondering if any of you folks are using this setup on your Weber kettle? If so, how do you like it and how long does the batteries last in the PartyQ? I'm looking forward at trying it out this weekend.

I have the same setup, been pondering the PartyQ, I'm sure I'll be pulling the trigger soon. Eager to see the replies you get. I've read over 20+ hours and still going, especially with good rechargeables (Eneloop)

Comment

I saw someone, somewhere, mention how easy it is to convert the PartyQ over to 110 so you could plug it in and not have to worry about batteries.

If I decide to (gulp) drill a hole in my kettle, I plan to go with either the PartyQ or the Auber.

Have fun DW!!!!!!!

Comment

Congrats on the new tools my friend. Batteries last a long time. Couple of 12-14 hours smoke are not a problem. If you buy good batteries and its above freezing. You can tell when there giving out even without seeing the LED. You can hear the fan speed change. At least on the old style partyQ. I keep fresh batts and the mini screwdriver in my cook bag so I can change them fast. Sometimes I just change them after two cook. With all the handheld electronics I have around I buy them in bulk so there pretty cheap. Up here Menards seems to have the best battery prices around.

J-Rod, I'll be happy to drill that copper beauty for you if you need. Its hard to do but....
        Last edited by Jon Solberg; April 20, 2015, 06:03 PM.

Comment

• Jerod Broussard
          Jerod Broussard commented
          Editing a comment
          haha. When you gonna post another video?

Jon Solberg I like the Energizer batteries so a pack of 12 should last awhile. I'm not going to do any long cooks just short cooks like 2-6 hour cooks. All the long cooks will be on the Lang or the Rec-Tec. Jerod Broussard I don't mind drilling a hole in the kettle as long as I have the right tools to do it with and I do😊

Comment

• Jerod Broussard
          Jerod Broussard commented
          Editing a comment
          Yeah, I got plenty bits with pilot bits.

I have the PartyQ and SN on my 22" Weber kettle. Does a great job at holding temps steady. I was having issues getting the temp to hold at 225 but I reread MH's article on the SN and discovered that the bottom blades went slightly bent up, allowing extra O2 to the charcoal. Bought a replacement blade kit and the problem was resolved. I dropped my lid off of my deck once and got it slightly out of round. I use 6-7 binder clips to keep the lid nice and tight.

I also ditched the small water pan and use a bread loaf pan instead. Only knock ash off and add water after 3 hours.

Comment

• DWCowles
          DWCowles commented
          Editing a comment
          FLBuckeye thanks for the info I appreciate it

• FLBuckeye
          FLBuckeye commented
          Editing a comment
          My pleasure. To answer your question in the OP, the batteries I use will last an entire cook for a brisket or a pork butt. Saying that, I cook in Florida and the fan isn't running full tilt when the temp is below 50 or so as it rarely gets that cold here. I have the older model PartyQ (as well as the new one) and I took the annoying screw off of the back of the battery case. OK, I dropped it somewhere and said forget about it...lol

I speak from personal experience that if you do not want to drill a hole in your weber, then the PartyQ is not for you. I tried in vain to get it to be effective by attaching it to the top vent. But had great results once attached to the bottom. The issue is not so much with the battery time and more with the fact that you have to refill the charcoal. But that just comes with the territory of a Smokenator.

Comment

• DWCowles
          DWCowles commented
          Editing a comment
          AHambrick I wouldn't think the charcoal refilling will be an issue since I will only be doing short cooks (like 2-4 hr cooks).

• FLBuckeye
          FLBuckeye commented
          Editing a comment
          I have about ZERO mechanical aptitude (my bro got it all, in spades) and I had no issues drilling a hole into my kettle. I used a unibit. For my WSM, I just used one of the bottom vents, as the BBQ Guru folks instructed.

Welcome AH! We're glad you're here. Be sure to introduce yourself when you get a chance.

Comment

don't mean to steal this thread but, has anyone ever seen the Smokenator and PartyQ used in the top and bottom positions. Seems I only see them in left and right. Then again that may be due to the OTC system and I'm not home to verify it's position. I hope I'll be able to drill/mount PartyQ on the bottom at 6 o'clock side with Smokenator at 12 o'clock so I can use the drilled probe holes I already have at 3 o'clock.

BTW, I was wondering myself before purchase, and for those interested. The gator clip on the PartyQ thermometer is removable from the probe itself, so you'd only have to drill a very small hole to get it through.

Comment

Got to Youtube, BBQ & BREW is the guy. He puts his like that on a Weber Performer.

I plan to go 12 and 6 if and when I get an Auber fan.

Comment

• Father87
              Father87 commented
              Editing a comment
              ah ok, thanks

• Father87
              Father87 commented
              Editing a comment
              seems his is PartyQ @ 9, SN @ 3, if we agree that the performer table runs also from 9/kettle location, 3/end of table direction.

Originally posted by Jerod Broussard View Post
            I saw someone, somewhere, mention how easy it is to convert the PartyQ over to 110 so you could plug it in and not have to worry about batteries.

If I decide to (gulp) drill a hole in my kettle, I plan to go with either the PartyQ or the Auber.

Have fun DW!!!!!!!
            I have the partyQ and smokenator on my performer. Works well. I also did the mod so i can plug it in the wall. Below is the link for that.

I love my PartyQ, but like so many others, I wished it has an alternate power supply built in. I borrowed this idea from someone else, so I can't take full credit, but here's the process for anyone interested. It's really simple and inexpensive. The fan runs on half an amp, so I purchased a 6V, 1 amp power adapter (Amazon link below) and modified it. http://www.amazon.com/exec/obidos/ASIN/B00COCGL8M/tvwb-20

Comment

I ran across this mod on the Virtual Weber Bullet Bulletin Board. Am getting ready to do it in a bit, if it doesn't rain

I got a new Maverick ET-732 yesterday. I am going to use it on my OTG and WSM. I did not want to run the probe wires through the lid. I took some ideas I've seen here, and on other forums, and came up with a plan. I cut a 3/4" long piece of 1/4" of electrical running thread (mainly used for lighting fixtures). It's 1/4" ID, and 1/2" OD. I got 2 locknuts and one pipe cap (plumbing) for it. http://img839.imageshack.us/img839/282/grommet011024.jpg On my 18 1/2" WSM, I drilled a 1/2" hole,

Comment

Announcement

Collapse
              No announcement yet.
              Working...
              X
              false
              ["pitmaster-my-membership","login","join-pitmaster","lostpw","reset-password","special-offers","help","nojs","meat-ups","gifts","authaau-alpha","ebooklogin-start","alpha","start"]
              false
              false
              {"count":0,"link":"/forum/announcements/","debug":""}
              Yes
              ["\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1157845-paid-members-download-your-6-deep-dive-guide-ebooks-for-free-here","\/forum\/the-pitcast","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2019-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2020-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2021-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2022-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2023-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2024-issues","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here"]
              /forum/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here