Welcome!

This is a membership forum. Guests can view 5 pages for free. To participate, please join.

[ Pitmaster Club Information | Join Now | Login | Contact Us ]

Only 4 free page views remaining.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Fireboard Drive cable issue

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Fireboard Drive cable issue

So, last Sunday I was planning on using my Fireboard Drive and fan to help stoke the fire when I first started it to help get the smoker up to temp faster. I have been using it regularly when burning charcoal. When i plugged the cable into the FB, it shut down immediately and wouldn't power up unless I unplugged the drive cable. Has anybody else had any such issues? Also, my cable is off warranty so I had to buy a new one. They sold me a cosmetic second for a reduced price at least

Hmmmm. Not good. How long had you had the original cable, Dewesq55 ?

Kathryn

Comment

• Dewesq55
      Dewesq55 commented
      Editing a comment
      According to them, 18 months.

Yep cables are the number one item to go bad on these items. I just had to replace a meat probe after 6 years on my ET72, but it was only $10 on sale. The cables get twisted and heat can damage them if you get them to close to the fire.

Comment

• Dewesq55
      Dewesq55 commented
      Editing a comment
      This isn't a probe cable and it's not really exposed to heat.

I have not had this issue.

Does it still shut down right away when the cable is plugged back in? They should replace it for you if it is a second one.

It also might be your unit. They can connect to it via wifi and diagnose the problem. Shoot them an email and they should take care of you. They did for me a couple years back, and I have not had any issues since.

Comment

• Dewesq55
      Dewesq55 commented
      Editing a comment
      I didn't get the second one yet. This just happened in Sunday.

About a year ago after lots of diagnosing and then pushing a ton of firmware updates, my units have been running well. They do need an occasional reboot, but when cooking I haven’t had issues lately.

Comment

• fzxdoc
      fzxdoc commented
      Editing a comment
      Wait. You have two Fireboard units? I ask because I'm on the verge of ordering a second one.

K.

• Dewesq55
      Dewesq55 commented
      Editing a comment
      I, too, plan to order a second one to leave at my vacay house. I don't need a second drive because my smoker and grill there are both propane fired

• Polarbear777
      Polarbear777 commented
      Editing a comment
      I have rain covers on my cookers and I run them simultaneously. I’ve got all the electronics in a deck box so I can leave it set up indefinitely.

I love my Fireboard, but this was frustrating. Fortunately, I didn't actually needed it since I was doing the all wood cook and didn't needed any stoking. But I am planning to attempt my first Blasphemy Ribs so I want to use charcoal and the drive fan to maintain the lower temps that Mark claims are crucial to success.

Comment

No issues here. A year plus I believe.

fzxdoc Do it! I bought a second one (with the drive cable too) this past summer. Love being able to run my 22 and 26 simultaneously with zero effort.

Comment

• Spinaker
        Spinaker commented
        Editing a comment
        Yeah, I am on the verge of doing the same.

Geeze you guys are richer than I am. I bought a Thermoworks Signals as my backup and have had nothing but problems with it. Back to the Fireboard, I had one unit completely crap out on me in the first year. They replaced it at no charge, no questions asked. I'm sure if you are still under warranty they will make right with you. And no, this is the first time I have heard of your problem.

Comment

Announcement

Collapse
      No announcement yet.
      Working...
      X
      false
      ["pitmaster-my-membership","login","join-pitmaster","lostpw","reset-password","special-offers","help","nojs","meat-ups","gifts","authaau-alpha","ebooklogin-start","alpha","start"]
      false
      false
      {"count":0,"link":"/forum/announcements/","debug":""}
      Yes
      ["\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1157845-paid-members-download-your-6-deep-dive-guide-ebooks-for-free-here","\/forum\/the-pitcast","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2019-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2020-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2021-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2022-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2023-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2024-issues","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here"]
      /forum/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here