Welcome!

This is a membership forum. Guests can view 5 pages for free. To participate, please join.

[ Pitmaster Club Information | Join Now | Login | Contact Us ]

Only 4 free page views remaining.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Placement of intake for Pit Viper on PK Original?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Placement of intake for Pit Viper on PK Original?

Hoping y’all can help me out with this.

so I’ve got a PK original and I want to add a port for the pit viper fan I bought recently.

I bought two 3/4 pipe fittings & ball valves, 1 for my PBC & 1 for the PK so I can switch the fan between the two as needed. Already put the valve on the PBC and my test results were amazing 20 hrs steady temps. Going to start a thread on that when I’ve completed my mods.

anyways, the question is does it matter where I put the fan on the grill? Does it have to be pointing directly at the charcoal or could I put it in the middle to reduce ash blowing around? Or even all the way over on the opposite side?

When I do this I’ll be operating it with both bottom vents closed and the top vent over the food half open.

Pick of PK original below if that matters.

Click image for larger version

Name:	A70B13F6-5084-458F-A3F4-4FCC91D6396B.jpeg
Views:	200
Size:	31.1 KB
ID:	749025

I run a pk360 and my fan fits in the tubular vent. I considered making a hole until I realized it fit.

in any case,
    1. You want the intake as high as possible but under the charcoal grate.
    2. Intake on opposite side of planned firebox/fire

Both of these allow much more room for ash to build up, but not impede airflow, allowing you to run much longer. It also keeps your fan on the cooler side.

a key is to make sure on the fan side opposite the fire, has a well fitting pan or layer of foil ( or both) to ensure ALL the incoming air goes across to the fire and not up through the food side. Then (assuming food is on left, fire on the right) upper left vent open about 1/2 to start and all the others closed so the fan has complete control. If the fire isn’t clean enough, open the upper left more. If the grill won’t come down in temperature reasonably with the fan not running, close the exhaust a little more.

Last edited by Polarbear777; September 28, 2019, 09:17 PM.

Comment

• TNPIGBBQ
      TNPIGBBQ commented
      Editing a comment
      I was hoping you’d chime in!

Thank you very much!

Polarbear777

Thanks again! Came out well and worked like a charm. I also copied your basket idea, which I really dig.

Click image for larger version

Name:	592B5E03-FB70-45ED-B28C-CFDB9D497691.jpeg
Views:	176
Size:	126.9 KB
ID:	752293Click image for larger version

Name:	7A9C58B0-0317-4895-B3A1-BEE6C36F97C0.jpeg
Views:	185
Size:	135.5 KB
ID:	752294

Comment

• Polarbear777
      Polarbear777 commented
      Editing a comment
      Nice, but I think your friend down there is suspicious. :-)

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.
Working...
X
false
["pitmaster-my-membership","login","join-pitmaster","lostpw","reset-password","special-offers","help","nojs","meat-ups","gifts","authaau-alpha","ebooklogin-start","alpha","start"]
false
false
{"count":0,"link":"/forum/announcements/","debug":""}
Yes
["\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1157845-paid-members-download-your-6-deep-dive-guide-ebooks-for-free-here","\/forum\/the-pitcast","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2019-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2020-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2021-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2022-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2023-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2024-issues","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here"]
/forum/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here