Welcome!

This is a membership forum. Guests can view 5 pages for free. To participate, please join.

[ Pitmaster Club Information | Join Now | Login | Contact Us ]

Only 4 free page views remaining.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

First Fireboard & Pit Viper Cook

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

First Fireboard & Pit Viper Cook

So, a couple of weeks ago I put up a 911 posting about pit controllers after a sleepless night smoking a brisket. I received a lot of great suggestions from the fine folks on this site, (makes me all teary eyed just thinking about it). The general prodding seem to be toward the fireboard with the pit viper fan. So, since I thought it wise to actually listen to said suggestions, I ordered away. Ouch! Those fireboard folks are really proud of their stuff! Having said that, it was money well spent. The setup was so easy. I am in the middle of my first cook with it (three racks of baby backs), and all I can say is this thing is flipping awesome! I am pretty sure I just heard Angel's singing! ​

Happy you're happy.
    BTW pics not showing.

Comment

• HandsomeDave
      HandsomeDave commented
      Editing a comment
      holehogg you can't see the screenshot?

• holehogg
      holehogg commented
      Editing a comment
      Nope. happens sometimes try re attaching

Hopefully you all can see this now. Click image for larger version

Name:	Screenshot_20190810-140439_FireBoard.jpg
Views:	625
Size:	65.5 KB
ID:	728295

Comment

Tears? Maybe you are standing too close to the smoke.

Anc congrats on the Fireboard.

Comment

I felt the same way after my FireBoard purchase.

Comment

• Woodson
          Woodson commented
          Editing a comment
          Me too.

I got mine as a retirement gift. It's expanded my BBQ world, and introduced a level of relaxation to my Q day heretofore unknown. It has increased my beer consumption somewhat, but I steadfastly refuse to gather that data.

Comment

• HandsomeDave
          HandsomeDave commented
          Editing a comment
          GuyG I don't really care about the data either, at least not yet. But I am smoking 3 pork shoulders overnight tomorrow, and I am actually going to be able to sleep! What!!?? Money well spent.

Glad we could be of assistance. Anything else you need?

I want a Fireboard badly, but until my Maverick goes out I don't have an excuse to get one. Maybe I'll leave it out in the rain by mistake...

Comment

• HandsomeDave
          HandsomeDave commented
          Editing a comment
          klflowers Accidents happen, just saying...

• mountainsmoker
          mountainsmoker commented
          Editing a comment
          Maverick and Fireboard/Pit Viper fan are two different animals. I use both my DigiQ/Pit Viper and Maverick together.

• klflowers
          klflowers commented
          Editing a comment
          mountainsmoker can you explain that to my better half? Having said that, you are right - I meant my cyber q and my maverick xr-50.
          Last edited by klflowers; August 30, 2019, 09:04 AM.

So if I may ask a question that has probably been covered previously,
        why did you go with the Fireboard w/the Pit Viper vs the CyberQ?
        I’ve been trying to pull the trigger on a temp controller and have been leaning towards the CyberQ, but lately have seen a lot of people going with the Fireboard set up.
        I have a 22” WSM and don’t really cook in large quantities. Does the Fireboard do a better job of temp management or does it just have more bells and whistles?

Comment

• HandsomeDave
          HandsomeDave commented
          Editing a comment
          The main reason I went with the Fireboard vs the CyberQ is because the Fireboard has an app, and the CyberQ doesn't. Just makes it so convenient and easy. Plus it was the most recommended by far.

• Woodson
          Woodson commented
          Editing a comment
          Fireboard has six probes, my gurus have only 2. And an app, and a really BA sounding name like Fireboard. And it has its own power instead of carting a jumper box around or fooling with a generator for such a low power device.
          Last edited by Woodson; August 30, 2019, 08:48 PM. Reason: I mixed my tenses, I feel pretty silly about it.

When I looked at them the difference was the Fireboard had more bells and whistles than the CyberQ. The opportunity to add more probes, graph temp of grill and meat temps. But price is a little steep. You must buy the Pit Viper and the connecting cable. The CyberQ Cloud will do nearly all the same things without the multiple probe feature and it comes with the Pit Viper.

I finally went with the DigiQ as I don't have a smartphone and it is working perfectly fine on my Weber kettle.

I also have a Maverick 732 which I use as a remote to keep track of my pit temps since the DigiQ does not have a remote. Used it before the DQ so not a new purchase.

Comment

Originally posted by mountainsmoker View Post
          When I looked at them the difference was the Fireboard had more bells and whistles than the CyberQ. The opportunity to add more probes, graph temp of grill and meat temps. But price is a little steep. You must buy the Pit Viper and the connecting cable. The CyberQ Cloud will do nearly all the same things without the multiple probe feature and it comes with the Pit Viper.

I finally went with the DigiQ as I don't have a smartphone and it is working perfectly fine on my Weber kettle.

I also have a Maverick 732 which I use as a remote to keep track of my pit temps since the DigiQ does not have a remote. Used it before the DQ so not a new purchase.
          I did DigiQ as well. Try as I might, I couldn’t think of a situation where I would want to monitor my cook remotely, nor could I think of a use for the graph beyond its own coolness. I love the tools, but they weren’t right for me.

Comment

Announcement

Collapse
          No announcement yet.
          Working...
          X
          false
          ["pitmaster-my-membership","login","join-pitmaster","lostpw","reset-password","special-offers","help","nojs","meat-ups","gifts","authaau-alpha","ebooklogin-start","alpha","start"]
          false
          false
          {"count":0,"link":"/forum/announcements/","debug":""}
          Yes
          ["\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1157845-paid-members-download-your-6-deep-dive-guide-ebooks-for-free-here","\/forum\/the-pitcast","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2019-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2020-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2021-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2022-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2023-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2024-issues","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here"]
          /forum/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here