Welcome!

This is a membership forum. Guests can view 5 pages for free. To participate, please join.

[ Pitmaster Club Information | Join Now | Login | Contact Us ]

Only 4 free page views remaining.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

I was thinking: Thermostatic controllers

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

I was thinking: Thermostatic controllers

Greetings and salutations,

Today I was checking the accuracy of the probes on my CyberQ.
    Click image for larger version

Name:	20190810_111842.jpg
Views:	213
Size:	178.1 KB
ID:	728223
    I noticed some variability between probes both on temperature and response time. Had one probe that was 5-8 degrees lower than the others so I removed it from service. The other 3 probes were within 1 to about 2.5 degrees. I did my best to control variables during my testing. I was curious if our illustrious reviewers ever tested this aspect of multi-probe controllers.

Dutifully, I looked at several ( not all) reviews and found this information missing.

I would like to our reviewers to address inter-probe variability within each of the major players at least. This information would be helpful for future purchases and would shed significant light on quality control. I suspect Mr. McGrath has the equipment to reasonably make these determinations.

How small of a difference would I like them to be? One degree would be awesome. 2-3 would be acceptable. Past that, I'm not sure what I'd be willing to live with. May not have much choice but I suspect some brands are significantly and practically better.

Anyway, I was just thinking.

Nap time! 😴

Just thinking about thinking makes me tired. Definitely nap time!

Comment

One to two and 1/2 degrees is excellent. You won't get much better than that I have found. The Fireboard my be an exception but I have not tried there probes yet.

Comment

I'm guessing due to the probes being somewhat of a "mass produced" product, you would have a range of variability amongst sets. If Bill finds 1-2 degrees difference in his set, and 90% of buyers have 3-4 degrees worth of difference, what do you do with that? And how much changes after months of use?

Comment

• NapMaster
          NapMaster commented
          Editing a comment
          Yes, I agree. Use is also a factor. I suspect that the thermoworks folks would have the tightest quality control since their companies focus is temperature measurement.

And then there's thermistors vs thermocouples to complicate the issues involved. It's about the three T's...…...…….time, temperature and (let's call it for alliteration purposes) texture. Newbs in particular focus on time, they want to make sure dinner is ready when planned/promised. The more seasoned vet will say (along with folks like Thermoworks who have a vested interest) that it ain't ready til it hits the correct target temp (e.g. 203). And then there's the wheezened vet who says something like "Son, it ain't done, til it feels right when I poke/probe/bend it". Hmmmmmmm……..

Comment

For me, accuracy is important. In the end, it's done when it is done. I want to set a target temp to start checking. If it's off 10 degrees you might be either wasting your time or you may have unintentionally dried out your meat. The later is worse.

Comment

Announcement

Collapse
          No announcement yet.
          Working...
          X
          false
          ["pitmaster-my-membership","login","join-pitmaster","lostpw","reset-password","special-offers","help","nojs","meat-ups","gifts","authaau-alpha","ebooklogin-start","alpha","start"]
          false
          false
          {"count":0,"link":"/forum/announcements/","debug":""}
          Yes
          ["\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1157845-paid-members-download-your-6-deep-dive-guide-ebooks-for-free-here","\/forum\/the-pitcast","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2019-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2020-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2021-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2022-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2023-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2024-issues","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here"]
          /forum/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here