Welcome!

This is a membership forum. Guests can view 5 pages for free. To participate, please join.

[ Pitmaster Club Information | Join Now | Login | Contact Us ]

Only 4 free page views remaining.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

PBC / FireBoard / Pit Viper Fan - Thoughts and Assistance Needed

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

PBC / FireBoard / Pit Viper Fan - Thoughts and Assistance Needed

Howdy folks! I recently pulled the trigger on a FireBoard and Pit Viper fan setup for my Pit Barrel Cooker, and took it on its maiden voyage this past weekend.

The FireBoard itself is incredible! Crazy accurate, and I love all the data it provides. I was skeptical that it could be THAT much better than my ThermoWorks Smoke unit, but I’m head over heels in love with the thing.

Mostly. LOL

The catch comes in with the performance of the fan driver. As you can see from the pics, the barrel temp fluctuated quite a bit... the beautiful, rock steady chart I normally have seen in other posts here was nowhere to be found. Particularly troubling were the severe drops, in that on a couple of them the FireBoard never did start the Pit Viper fan to correct the falling temp - I had to switch the control from auto to manual and start the fan myself. Kinda defeats the purpose of an automatic controller.

Now, I have a couple of theories on what could’ve caused this:

1) Not a picture perfect installation of the XL Dome Adapter I ordered with the fan. I’ll get pics to add to the ones below later tonight, but overall I’m pretty satisfied with the way it finally ended up after numerous "Dang it, try again" attempts. They really, REEEEALLY need to include a drilling template or installation instructions with these adapters, to save monkeys like me from ourselves! LOL

2) Like a doofus, I forgot to order an ambient temp thermometer to go along with all those gorgeous meat thermometers I bought. Couldn’t wait to play with my new toys, so I used one of the meat thermometers for the ambient temp probe with the thought that "a thermometer is a thermometer is a thermometer", but maybe that’s not the case? Rectified my mistake, and a proper ambient temp probe will be in place by the time the next cook happens.

Fan was set to 100% max output, vent ON the fan was open halfway if either of those settings could make a difference.

I look forward to any theories and guidance the community has to offer, as I am extremely new to the whole thermostatic controller game.

On the the good news front, the brisket I cooked using the setup, despite the extremely fast cook time, wound up being one of if not THE best brisket I’ve ever produced! 😃 Yay Pit Barrel!!!

Thanks,

G
    Attached Files

Just a quick check: do you have the latest firmware? If not, upgrade via the app.

Comment

• gdsim1
      gdsim1 commented
      Editing a comment
      Thank you Henrik, I never thought to check. A bit more help? How does one do this?

Originally posted by gdsim1 View Post
    Couldn’t wait to play with my new toys, so I used one of the meat thermometers for the ambient temp probe with the thought that "a thermometer is a thermometer is a thermometer", but maybe that’s not the case?
    I've noticed my Thermapen gives an accurate reading of the ambient air. I think the main difference is the ambient probe is shorter to take up less room/not get in the way and has a grate clip. Can't speak on the Fireboard directly, though.

Comment

• IowaGirl
      IowaGirl commented
      Editing a comment
      And it's not sharp, so less likely to accidentally stab the cook. (Don't ask me how I know this.)

• gdsim1
      gdsim1 commented
      Editing a comment
      Yes @227gb, I’m with you (and the others who had similar comments) - I don’t think the meat probe was the issue... but had to throw it out there juuuuuust to make sure I wasn’t losing my marbles lol. Thanks for the help.

• gdsim1
      gdsim1 commented
      Editing a comment
      LOL I’ve got that kind of talent too IowaGirl. 😊 Not saying you stuck yourself, but if you had you wouldn’t be the ONLY one who’s ever done it.
      Last edited by gdsim1; July 28, 2019, 08:30 AM.

Using a meat probe should have worked as your ambient temp device, so I don't think that's the case.

Go into your setting and search for the Lid Detection and toggle it on. Below that you can stipulate how many minutes the fan is switched off after the lid is removed. Mine defaulted to something like 5 mins which is ridiculous. I had the same problem as you I kept turning the fan from auto to manual thinking something was wrong with the signal or the unit. I now have it switched to 1 min. That gives you time to spritz or mop or do whatever you have to do, replace the lid and the fan should come on right away.

I don't own a PBC but do cook on WSMs. I think it's safe to say that both are similar type cookers. You should have all bottom vents closed and only control things via the top vent, which I general have about 1/2 to 3/4 open. The fan and the Fireboard control the rest. I always have rock solid cooks on my WSMs.

Hopefully someone with that cooker and setup can give you some further advice. Once you get it dialed in, you can go take a nap, its that reliable.
    Last edited by Troutman; July 23, 2019, 03:51 PM.

Comment

Just another thought, looking at your graphs did you use Channel 1 for your meat probe? Fireboard folks told me a long time ago to always use Channel 1 for your ambient temperature probe. Just one of those little things they fail to tell you or write down...whoops. Don't know if that mattered but it might have.

Comment

• Polarbear777
        Polarbear777 commented
        Editing a comment
        You can select any probe, but I’ve noticed if you have to reset things, it will default back to #1

Originally posted by Troutman View Post

Go into your setting and search for the Lid Detection and toggle it on. Below that you can stipulate how many minutes the fan is switched off after the lid is removed. Mine defaulted to something like 5 mins which is ridiculous. I had the same problem as you I kept turning the fan from auto to manual thinking something was wrong with the signal or the unit. I now have it switched to 1 min. That gives you time to spritz or mop or do whatever you have to do, replace the lid and the fan should come on right away.
      I say Turn the lid detection feature completely off for the PBC. It’s pretty tight so with no intake you can lose the fire too far and it won’t compensate well. I’ve even had the fire go out completely before because of that feature.

When you need to open the lid, just shut off the fan first from the app so you can get in there and turn it back on when you are done. I don’t find myself opening it or even touching it more than maybe 3 times in a 12 hour cook.

see post #5 and all the discussion in this thread.

https://pitmaster.amazingribs.com/fo...ibration-tests
      Last edited by Polarbear777; July 23, 2019, 05:28 PM.

Comment

Meat vs ambient probe doesn’t seem to matter. In a pinch I’ve used either for ambient and no problems.

Comment

I’ve had tighter control by setting the fan to 50% or 75% max before. It seems to not overshoot so much. Since it is less strong and thus, has to run more often/cycle more frequently.
          Last edited by Polarbear777; July 23, 2019, 05:27 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by Troutman View Post
            Using a meat probe should have worked as your ambient temp device, so I don't think that's the case.

I don't own a PBC but do cook on WSMs. I think it's safe to say that both are similar type cookers. You should have all bottom vents closed and only control things via the top vent, which I general have about 1/2 to 3/4 open. The fan and the Fireboard control the rest. I always have rock solid cooks on my WSMs.

Hopefully someone with that cooker and setup can give you some further advice. Once you get it dialed in, you can go take a nap, its that reliable.
            Troutman, I think you may very well have hit the nail on the head sir! 😃 Went and checked, and lid detection was defaulted to ON and set at SEVEN MINUTES! Way too long, and playing with my chart in the app I can see that I jumped in to "fix" it manually within that seven minutes every time. So I think what we had here was a default setting that may work great for other cookers (but not so much a PBC or WSM), combined with a nervous nelly first time noob jumping too quick because he didn’t realize it! 👍 Now instead of being nervous about it, I can’t WAIT to fire the barrel up again this weekend! Thanks a ton for your help sir, GREATLY appreciated!!!

Combining two replies into one, and while on the subject of first time noobs LOL - now that you mention it, the FireBoard did in fact default to Channel 1 as the ambient temp / fan driver channel. My reaction when I realized it? "Oh duh, wrong channel!" - and switched it to Channel 6, which is (as you surmised) where I had the probe I was using for ambient temp plugged in.

Im sure customer service is great and all but this, THIS kind of great help and info is why I check in with my Pit peeps first! 👍 I suppose this is an appropriate place to shout from the mountaintops how much I LOVE THIS COMMUNITY!!! 😃

Thanks again for taking the time to help!

Comment

Polarbear777 - running out of daylight and I’ve got to get to bed, but I wanted to say a quick thank you for weighing in and offering your wisdom as well. 🙏 Your experience and tips are very much appreciated, and I will be sure to check out the post thread you pointed me at tomorrow.

For now, off to bed... with visions of this weekends cook likely dancing in my head! 😃🙌

Comment

Tagging fzxdoc & AverageJoe, as they’ve been with me and in my corner since I started this thermo controller journey.

Getting closer y’all! 😇

Comment

• AverageJoe
                  AverageJoe commented
                  Editing a comment
                  Been great seeing all of your information you have added. Looking forward to hearing about the next cook and how well it goes.

Thank you, gdsim1 , for letting us inch up your learning curve with you. This is all great information, specific to the Fireboard driver cable/Pit Viper (medium) fan/XL Grill Dome adapter setup for the PBC.

Did you end up only using the PBC's hole for the vent to secure your adapter?

I just knew you'd love that Fireboard with all of its available information. It sure makes a cook easier to follow.

Looking forward to your upcoming weekend cook.

Kathryn

Comment

• gdsim1
                  gdsim1 commented
                  Editing a comment
                  If my follies help even one person in some way on their own journey - worth it! 👍

I did use the PBC’s pre-drilled hole... plus four more. LOL The evil engineer on my shoulder started whispering "We can make it BETTER..." and there were a few muffs involved too. Will explain all that when I toss some pics up this evening - ran out of daylight yesterday. 💁‍♂️

Ok, Pit Viper mod pics for fzxdoc and anyone else who cares to see... obviously it didn’t go as smoothly as it could’ve / should’ve. Literally NO instructions or guidance provided with the adapter, so you’re very much on your own on installation. It’s really my only BGC (b*tch gripe and complaint) about the thing.

As you can see from the pics, I ended up with a fairly decent seal at the end of my stumbling through it - one that I can live with at any rate. I need to shore up the partial "oopsie" hole in the front plate... it isn’t completely open, and I figure some magnetic tape should take care of it.

What I’m REALLY pleased with is the view from inside the barrel... very little light shining through around the intake hole. All in all, I think with the help I’ve been provided in this post I’m going to be A-OK for the cook this weekend and beyond.

To be continued... 😊

Click image for larger version

Name:	ECAB16F4-E133-4FF0-AD9E-07F16AA41136.jpeg
Views:	1374
Size:	133.8 KB
ID:	719953

Name:	C25FAAC8-7D4B-45E5-959A-3AD4536AABBB.jpeg
Views:	1291
Size:	126.2 KB
ID:	719952

Name:	9209FF33-6176-45DC-927E-AFCC8B028D76.jpeg
Views:	1145
Size:	150.7 KB
ID:	719951

Comment

• Geocarps
                  Geocarps commented
                  Editing a comment
                  Interesting. BBQ Guru told me to use the XL Grill Dome Adaptor. They even sent a word document, with instructions an a pic. They attached with one screw after bending the adaptor slightly to match the curve of the barrel

• fzxdoc
                  fzxdoc commented
                  Editing a comment
                  I got the XL Grill Dome Adapter but no Word doc. I'll drop them an email. Thanks, Geocarps.

Kathryn

Thanks for those pics!

Kathryn

Comment

• gdsim1
                  gdsim1 commented
                  Editing a comment
                  Most welcome ma’am... now it’s time for you to take the Pit Viper plunge! 😈 Come to the dark side Kathryn... we’ve got homemade sauces and sides! 😂😂😂

• fzxdoc
                  fzxdoc commented
                  Editing a comment
                  gdsim1 , Heeeere I come!

K.

• gdsim1
                  gdsim1 commented
                  Editing a comment
                  That’s right fzxdoc you adorable little spider... done snared yourself in your own web on this one didn’t ya? 😂😂😂

gdsim1 Thanks for starting the this thread! Very useful, much appreciated. Thanks as well to everyone that replied/contributed! I'm another noob to the thermostatic controller world but in the planning stage. I have the Pit Viper fan but not the Fireboard yet. My question is on powering the Pit Viper fan / Fireboard setup. Is it powered by AC? Anyone use the 4000 mah battery pack available from Fireboard? Is it powerful enough for say a 12 hour cook?

Comment

Announcement

Collapse
                No announcement yet.
                Working...
                X
                false
                ["pitmaster-my-membership","login","join-pitmaster","lostpw","reset-password","special-offers","help","nojs","meat-ups","gifts","authaau-alpha","ebooklogin-start","alpha","start"]
                false
                false
                {"count":0,"link":"/forum/announcements/","debug":""}
                Yes
                ["\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1157845-paid-members-download-your-6-deep-dive-guide-ebooks-for-free-here","\/forum\/the-pitcast","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2019-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2020-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2021-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2022-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2023-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2024-issues","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here"]
                /forum/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here