Welcome!

This is a membership forum. Guests can view 5 pages for free. To participate, please join.

[ Pitmaster Club Information | Join Now | Login | Contact Us ]

Only 4 free page views remaining.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Pre-purchase question...is this a sane plan?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Pre-purchase question...is this a sane plan?

Hi Folks,

Currently my temp controller is the Mk1 grubby paw, manually adjusting the vents on my WSM (or Weber Kettle). Currently my wireless thermometers are a pair of two-probe Thermo-pro's...I forget the numbers...maybe 20 and 8? Anyway, one has one "low temp" alarm, and the rest are high temp only.

I've recently started doing cooks where I wish I had better...more probes, or at least fewer remotes to haul about. I've also started to think about a therm controller, to let me cook on nights where I actually care if I get woken up by a thermal strangeness.

So...I've done some research, but wanted to reach out pre-purchase to see if y'all have better ideas, or bad experiences with what I'm looking at.

I'm considering buying (in stages), first a fireboard, and its case, to solve the thermometer issue. Then its controller cable, and a pit viper + mounting kit for my WSM.

Is this a reasonable plan? My use-case is general backyard BBQ, with occasional requests to support this or that function, but I'm neither a competitor nor a caterer.

Thanks ahead!
    Andy

Sounds like a good plan to me, and I don't think you will be disappointed! If I hadn't started with a Thermoworks Smoke I probably would have gotten a Fireboard. Now I have the Smoke, Smoke Gateway (wifi) and a PartyQ. The Fireboard and Pit Viper would replace all that.

Comment

• Driverdan
      Driverdan commented
      Editing a comment
      My plan also, to move from DigiQ/viper to Fireboard/Viper

Are you really asking us if that is a good plan? We think you should get a Fireboard with a Pit Viper fan, back that up with a Maverick XR-50, and while you are at it get a stick burner and a pellet grill. And a gasser.

Actually, that sounds good. I have the partyq and a XR50, but I want a fireboard when I grow up.

Comment

• ofelles
      ofelles commented
      Editing a comment
      Hey klflowers cut he guy some slack 😁😃
      You know that stuff will come along! Let him ease into it maybe. Just sayn'

• klflowers
      klflowers commented
      Editing a comment
      ofelles, MCS shows no mercy

• ofelles
      ofelles commented
      Editing a comment
      klflowers don't I know it!

Since when is adding BBQ Equipment NOT sane??

Comment

Excuse my ignorance but what is a pit viper? Have tried to find it everywhere.

Comment

Announcement

Collapse
    No announcement yet.
    Working...
    X
    false
    ["pitmaster-my-membership","login","join-pitmaster","lostpw","reset-password","special-offers","help","nojs","meat-ups","gifts","authaau-alpha","ebooklogin-start","alpha","start"]
    false
    false
    {"count":0,"link":"/forum/announcements/","debug":""}
    Yes
    ["\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1157845-paid-members-download-your-6-deep-dive-guide-ebooks-for-free-here","\/forum\/the-pitcast","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2019-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2020-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2021-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2022-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2023-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2024-issues","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here"]
    /forum/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here