Welcome!

This is a membership forum. Guests can view 5 pages for free. To participate, please join.

[ Pitmaster Club Information | Join Now | Login | Contact Us ]

Only 4 free page views remaining.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Fireboard Snap-On Blower, On A PBC?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Fireboard Snap-On Blower, On A PBC?

Game planning on my next experiment for the Pit Barrel Cooker, and I’m thinking Fireboard Thermometer with a Pit Viper fan... but then I stumbled onto the fact that Fireboard makes a blower of their own:

Variable Speed 20 CFM Blower used with FireBoard Drive to maintain precise temperature control. Additional Drive Fan Control Cable may be required.

Just curious if anyone has tried this on a PBC, and if so how it worked out? Doesn’t particularly look like it would be a win given the shape, but the silicone gasket has got me curious about the seal it would provide despite the shape.

Never hurts to ask. 😊

Do a search. There are some folks that have connected stuff. I have something using a pipe so that when the meat stalled it would prevent the temperature from dropping too low.

Comment

I think it’s the same dimension as the square auber fan (could be the same rebranded)

in any case, if you have some metal tape or can adjust the port to the right size so you can get a seal, you’ll be in business.

I did a permanent mount of the pit viper, but fans work great on the PBC. Chicken is automatic on the PBC stock configuration, but being able to dial in. 225F or even 250F is hard on the stock PBC and sometimes I want that low for no-skin things.

Comment

Thanks Polarbear777, I appreciate the insight. 👍

Comment

Several of us here have the FIreBoard, the cable, and the Pit Viper. I have used it on my WSCGC for quite some time now. The combo is fantastic. Don't have a PBC so don't know how anything would handle that kind of volume (airspace). The PBC has a fixed exhaust. If you are trying to control such an airspace, you might want to think about how the thing is going to breath. Can't just inhale brotha! Gotta exhale too!

I have not been a "fan" of the Auber (plastic) fan myself, and that is what the FireBoard fan is. The pit viper is a dang dang good fan. Adjustable baffle, metal. Real nice.

Comment

• Troutman
            Troutman commented
            Editing a comment
            I use the Pit Viper on my 22” WSM with good success. It’s comparable in volume. I thought the PBC exhaust was variable, no?

• Polarbear777
            Polarbear777 commented
            Editing a comment
            PBC exhaust is the space around the rebar. Only variable if you remove one, stuff with foil etc, but with a fan pushing the input it is fine.

I’ve forgotten to replace the rebar when cooking on the grate (much bigger exhaust) and with the fan controller running the rig, I didn’t even see an effect.

I think just looking at the design that the Pit Viper over at BBQGuru.com is a better fan for use with the PBC. You can use one of several adapters they include. You may have to make a hole, but I just look at that fan Fireboard sells and don't see it working very well except on something with a rectangular intake - like the sliding intake on some kamados, or maybe an offset. On my offset I would have to put foil tape over 3 of 4 intakes, and install the fan on the 4th intake.

Comment

All of this is excellent info gentlemen, and very much appreciated. 👍 It’s very easy, being new to the fan/ controller game, for me to get overwhelmed by the "oh, THEY make one too!" game.

Trigger ERS was just pulled on the Pit Viper. 😃 Here we go...

Comment

Announcement

Collapse
            No announcement yet.
            Working...
            X
            false
            ["pitmaster-my-membership","login","join-pitmaster","lostpw","reset-password","special-offers","help","nojs","meat-ups","gifts","authaau-alpha","ebooklogin-start","alpha","start"]
            false
            false
            {"count":0,"link":"/forum/announcements/","debug":""}
            Yes
            ["\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1157845-paid-members-download-your-6-deep-dive-guide-ebooks-for-free-here","\/forum\/the-pitcast","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2019-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2020-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2021-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2022-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2023-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2024-issues","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here"]
            /forum/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here