Welcome!

This is a membership forum. Guests can view 5 pages for free. To participate, please join.

[ Pitmaster Club Information | Join Now | Login | Contact Us ]

Only 4 free page views remaining.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Smobot temp range

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Smobot temp range

Does anyone know the working range for the smobot thermocouple? Doing bread today and need to get up to 550F....Can use my Thermaq if needed but excited to keep using the new smotbot if I can.

I've run it around 500, and had no problem putting the setpoint at 650, though I didn't get the temp up there, it being late in a cook. Shouldn't be a problem in terms of the range of the device.

Comment

Thank you so much EdF for the response. Maybe one more question? Do you get this on the underside of your Smobot and if so how do you clean it?

Attached Files

Comment

• EdF
        EdF commented
        Editing a comment
        Guess I haven't used it enough yet (or with the right cook) to get that. I imagine anything that will clean stainless will work on what you can expose without disassembling it.

• pjlstrat
        pjlstrat commented
        Editing a comment
        EdF FYI...Just found this on the Smobot site.....Probably should have looked there first!!!!
        Does the damper hardware need to be cleaned frequently?
        The damper will get some residue buildup over time, this is normal. Your damper might even seem to seize up after it has cooled. It is not necessary to clean the damper, just gently lift up on the damper arm to free it and verify movement. The SmoBot designers have used their dampers for 100s of hours and have never cleaned them.

I inquired to Smobot and here is the response I received.

Smobot Temp

Thanks for your interest in smobot!

The controller allows for controlled cooking up to 550, but in practice it can take a long time to get there with smobot installed. One trick I used to do, is to slightly pivot the smobot damper off to the side to give it extra "bypass" airflow to get up to the high temps in a reasonable time.

That said, I don't bother with controllers up above 450 anymore, because doing the high temperature stuff you're opening the lid frequently and or it's a short cook, so controllers don't really offer too much value. I love it for doing a turkey at 400 or 425 though..

Kind regards,

Eric

Comment

• pjlstrat
        pjlstrat commented
        Editing a comment
        Thank you for that very good information

Announcement

Collapse
    No announcement yet.
    Working...
    X
    false
    ["pitmaster-my-membership","login","join-pitmaster","lostpw","reset-password","special-offers","help","nojs","meat-ups","gifts","authaau-alpha","ebooklogin-start","alpha","start"]
    false
    false
    {"count":0,"link":"/forum/announcements/","debug":""}
    Yes
    ["\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1157845-paid-members-download-your-6-deep-dive-guide-ebooks-for-free-here","\/forum\/the-pitcast","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2019-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2020-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2021-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2022-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2023-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2024-issues","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here"]
    /forum/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here