Welcome!

This is a membership forum. Guests can view 5 pages for free. To participate, please join.

[ Pitmaster Club Information | Join Now | Login | Contact Us ]

Only 4 free page views remaining.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

That didn’t take long!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

That didn’t take long!

Im not a gadget guy but I just bought this doohickey.

Click image for larger version

Name:	4802E517-5372-4255-9714-0C086AFDFEEC.png
Views:	252
Size:	143.0 KB
ID:	710476

Got a link for this gem?

Comment

Now you have to become a gadget guy and buy the Signals unit that you need for it to work.

Comment

• HouseHomey
      HouseHomey commented
      Editing a comment
      Steve R.
      I already have signals. I have two kettles.

• Steve R.
      Steve R. commented
      Editing a comment
      Ah, a low-key gadget guy. Gotcha.

• HouseHomey
      HouseHomey commented
      Editing a comment
      A mans gotta have temp. 😃

Looking forward to hearing how it works.

Comment

I’m hoping this will cut down the time needed to go from low to sear. I like to cook with my top vent about wide open so I’m not sure how this will work for lower temp cooking.

Comment

• Craigar
        Craigar commented
        Editing a comment
        I will be very interested to see how this works on your kettle.

I’m curious how it attaches to the kettle.
      Being your Signals was a great price 🤔 I don’t think you can go wrong.
      MCS baby.

Comment

• HouseHomey
        HouseHomey commented
        Editing a comment
        😃 ✅

• kenrobin
        kenrobin commented
        Editing a comment
        I’m also curious.... the email that I received said it will easily attach to most smoker types without extra adapters. I’m wondering whether that is true.

Originally posted by Steve B View Post
      I’m curious how it attaches to the kettle.
      If you go to the website link above, there are pics and a downloadable operating instructions PDF.

Comment

• HouseHomey
        HouseHomey commented
        Editing a comment
        Well crud. That does it! Now I need a BGE. Crap, that’s one expensive fan.

• MBMorgan
        MBMorgan commented
        Editing a comment
        HouseHomey - I see from your signature that you've got a DnG that you can position above the fan to protect against drips. Fingers crossed that ash won't present much of a problem.

• HouseHomey
        HouseHomey commented
        Editing a comment
        Yes sir. I didn’t think of that. I’m still stuck on the tape thing. I don’t go in much for hassle (tinkering) on things but I’m a believer in ThermoWorks so I will give it 1 try. If it’s not immediately apparent I need this well them some one will get it cheap. I bought the dual adapter because I have two kettles. I like the idea and just dropped 100 bucks. I hope it works well. I understand that’s kinda pricey for this stuff.

ThermoWorks Responded to me via a question posed to them on Instagram "Stories." Here is their response.

"I’m making the assumption it’s a Weber Kettle. If so, you can attach Billows to your Weber Kettle by either using more high temperature flue tape to seal up the gaps, or by drilling a 1 or 1/5 inch hole that you will use especially to attach Billows to your Kettle. You can see how the taping works in our billows set up video where we used the Weber Smokey Mountain:https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qnVF...ture=youtu.be"

i am strongly considering sending it back.

But wait theres more.... if I act now I can have some one do this hole as well as holes for my signals probes on both kettles. I hate smashing the pro series cables with lids and binder clips.

So what say you gadget guys? Am I better off drilling a hole rather than not having a fan or using high temp tape.

Hmmmm now I’m leaning toward the holes.

A quick amazon/google search is easy enough but...

Will you please be so kind as to repost or mention the brand name/where I can buy quality grommets for my probes and fan hole. I know you guys tossed that link around between products a few times and I think many use the same brand?

Comment

• Huskee
        Huskee commented
        Editing a comment
        Dang, and here I've been crushing all of my cables under lids for years now. Rarely do I have a temp probe failure. But I like to live
        dangerously

• HouseHomey
        HouseHomey commented
        Editing a comment
        Huskee I’ve already replaced two. I also had some bad kinks and inclement weather on those as well I have a really bad elbow and shoulder both on the right and I tend to look left and go right while dragging my lid because I can’t be bothered to lift properly.

• barelfly
        barelfly commented
        Editing a comment
        I don’t know if this really solves the issue, but, like you, I didnt want to smash, so I ran the cable through the bottom vent when I use the kettle. I have a thermoworks chef Alarm, so same probe I believe? But I will most likely drill a port and use a rubber gasket at the grate level. I run both kettle temp and food temp probes this way and just switch out to see each reading.

And sorry if this was discussed already, I haven’t read the entire thread.
        Last edited by barelfly; July 12, 2019, 09:29 AM.

I drilled a hole to hook in an auber fan. It works great. You can stuff with tin foil, even used duct tape, if you want to use without the fan. The ash only became an issue after a 12 hour pork butt cook when i tried to grill some chicken thighs without cleaning, it blocked the coals. About getting the coals hot fast for a reverse sear... honestly this is what i use it for most. You can get some serious heat with a fan blowing on your coals, especially with a SNS. Is great!

Comment

• HouseHomey
        HouseHomey commented
        Editing a comment
        Dang. Thank you.

I drilled holes for both. I used a hole saw and a step bit but either way it’s not hard. You can buy silicone plugs by the bag from amazon to stop them up when not needed.

Heck i even drilled my pk for a probe port because having the wires not messed around with when opening the lid is convenient.

Comment

Nice, Homey! I wanna see this in action!

Comment

Sweet, I love ThermoWorks products! The tape thing sounds kinda hokey, but at least you can just drill a hole.

Comment

HouseHomey I'm a huge fan of doing this. You don't have to be a master builder to do this. Take your time. It's WAY easier than it looks. You won't have any taping and patching of leaks. As far as pinching wires under the lid, I've had zero issues. Most companies only give a 6 month warranty anyway for probes. Leaks mean nothing as the fan cycles accordingly to the probe. So maybe it's on a little less because of more leakage between the probe wire and the lid. Don't matter, the brains comp for that. You need to have the unit plugged in either way for it to run the fan. Not sure if that would be a problem for you.

Comment

• HouseHomey
              HouseHomey commented
              Editing a comment
              I’m just gonna go with the holes on both kettles. Honestly, as I think about it i never knew how much those cables bugged me until now. It’s because of the way I set up. But that’s how it’s conducive to my area. Eeek, I thought it ran from the signals unit and not power. I bought it "on the spot" without looking. Oh well. It’s not an issue.

fzxdoc found this as a question and answer in regards to this new billows fan for the PBC.

Will Billows work with a Pit Barrel Cooker?

Mike K [COLOR=#000000 !important]on Jul 5, 2019[/COLOR]
            BEST ANSWER: Yes, it sure will! We will have a mounting kit that will make it easier to attach to your Pit Barrel Cooker. It will be available in early August.

Comment

Announcement

Collapse
            No announcement yet.
            Working...
            X
            false
            ["pitmaster-my-membership","login","join-pitmaster","lostpw","reset-password","special-offers","help","nojs","meat-ups","gifts","authaau-alpha","ebooklogin-start","alpha","start"]
            false
            false
            {"count":0,"link":"/forum/announcements/","debug":""}
            Yes
            ["\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1157845-paid-members-download-your-6-deep-dive-guide-ebooks-for-free-here","\/forum\/the-pitcast","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2019-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2020-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2021-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2022-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2023-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2024-issues","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here"]
            /forum/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here