Welcome!

This is a membership forum. Guests can view 5 pages for free. To participate, please join.

[ Pitmaster Club Information | Join Now | Login | Contact Us ]

Only 4 free page views remaining.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Just musing: temp controller in Weber 22”, no holes drilled

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Just musing: temp controller in Weber 22”, no holes drilled

Just thinking about this. Shouldn’t it be easy to block the lower vents with 3 shaped metal plugs, with one of the plugs having an interface for the fan? You shouldn’t have to drill the damn thing. How about two plugs and a magnetic mount?

Looking at the inside:

Click image for larger version

Name:	15625085358418309536815848445798.jpg
Views:	132
Size:	49.3 KB
ID:	709055

Comment

Or the plug with the adapter could be two piece, with the inner one fitting the vent, and the outer one fitting it snugly.

Click image for larger version  Name:	8C29F986-0169-435F-ADF6-FC9771E60694.jpeg Views:	1 Size:	1.50 MB ID:	709063

Comment

I guess the only issue is getting the wire in through the ash bucket also, but I like your thinking!

Comment

• Mosca
          Mosca commented
          Editing a comment
          Remove the ash bucket during the cook. You aren't cleaning while cooking anyhow.

• Henrik
          Henrik commented
          Editing a comment
          You make a very good point there, sir! (didn't think of that)

The issue I see is that you’ve disabled the ash sweeps until you remove the plugs. Might be easier to just drill a hole for the fan.

Comment

• Mosca
          Mosca commented
          Editing a comment
          I thought about that. Same as on a BGE, where you use the ash removal door. But you don't need to sweep ashes all the time, and you don't need the fan all the time. Use it when you need it, store it when you don't, just like for the BGE.

Only problem I see is that if you have a Weber One Touch you adjust the vents as you cook as weather conditions change. Also you need to sweep the ashes out about every 6 hours or less during long smokes, 12-18 hours, or they start blocking the vent holes.

Just take the leap and drill the hole it only takes 10 minutes start with a 1/16" bit then the 1" bit. F

Well good luck on however you decide to do it.

Comment

many fans come with metal tape and expect you to tape two of the three and mount the fan in the third.

I have had to clean and add coals mid cook before many times and the fan mount has a plug for it when not using a fan so it’s just easier for me with the drilled hole and permanent mount.

Whats interesting is that the air intake tubes on the pk360 are exactly the right size to press fit the BBQGuru fan adapter, so no mods needed.

Comment

Just drill a 1” hole with a step drill bit. It takes, oh, about 5 minutes. The fan port mounts with one screw, another 5 minutes.

You’re overthinking something that’s already easily solved.

Comment

The old kettles with 3 vents instead of the current setup with the ash sweeps were more conducive to a temp controller I think. I wish I had not given one of those away a year ago. They were setup like the WSM, and you could just close 2 vents, and tape the 3 unused holes in the 3rd one, and use a fan adapter.

i just drilled my Performer and have no regrets so far.

Comment

How about just getting a ss disk that will cover the bottom of the kettle. Make it large enough to clear the sweeps. Then figure out how to place the fan where you want it and either cut the part of the disk under the SnS off, or drill holes in it. That would simplify covering the vents and be quicker to insert and remove.

Comment

I like to leave my fan attached at all times. One less thing to have to set up before each cook. So for me I don't to have to detach and reattach to do an ash sweep when needed. Good thinking though.

Comment

Announcement

Collapse
                  No announcement yet.
                  Working...
                  X
                  false
                  ["pitmaster-my-membership","login","join-pitmaster","lostpw","reset-password","special-offers","help","nojs","meat-ups","gifts","authaau-alpha","ebooklogin-start","alpha","start"]
                  false
                  false
                  {"count":0,"link":"/forum/announcements/","debug":""}
                  Yes
                  ["\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1157845-paid-members-download-your-6-deep-dive-guide-ebooks-for-free-here","\/forum\/the-pitcast","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2019-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2020-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2021-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2022-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2023-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2024-issues","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here"]
                  /forum/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here